Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Wade

Default Best/Worst excursions for the not-so-fit?

We're a family of not-so-fit folks. OK, we're just plain fat. . But we're determined to enjoy some excursions when we sail on the Conquest in December. Any input on tours to consider or avoid (mainly due to amount of walking)? We really want to see the Tulum Ruins and Dunns River Falls---do-able?

img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=12&year=2004&day=05&hour=18:00[/img]
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Wade

Default Re: Best/Worst excursions for the not-so-fit?

Sorry---learning the "tricks." :-) Let's try again:

Old June 9th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Wade

I give: "uncle". :-)
Old June 10th, 2004, 05:35 AM
First Mate

Wade, all the excursions are rated by activity level. I was on Conquest's sister ship Glory this Feb. They have inter-active TV, so you can read about and book your choices right from the room. If you have additional questions, go to excursion desk in the atrium. The ruins of Tulum are definately an unforgettable sight. The excursion, however, is very long. There's a ferry ride from the ship to the mainland. A brisk walk through town to a bus. Then, depending on your group, a walk or tram ride back to the ruins. Remember it will be very hot. You be the judge. Can't help you with Dunnes River.

Old June 10th, 2004, 07:27 AM
ArlenefromNJ

I would say forget Dunns RIver falls. You have a choice of climbing the falls or going up the hill by stairs. Either way it can be strenuous. I hated the falls. I felt like I had little control because you go up in a giant line holding hands with a million people. We ended up climbing a wall and getting off.
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

We just went to Dunn's River in May. We are in our 50's and not the fittest in the world. And the day before, in Grand Cayman, I got a badly sprained ankle. So climbing the falls was out of the question for us but we did the climb on the walkway. It's stairs and if I can do it with a sprained ankle and being out of shape, I'm sure you can do it. If you are going to Dunn's River I would suggest you do not miss viewing the falls. It's got to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. There's one spot where you can walk down a few steps and actually get into the cool water and refresh yourself. That's where a lot of the "climbers" were opting to halt their trip as it is pretty strenuous.
Old June 10th, 2004, 11:32 AM
sail away

Please do not miss DUNNS RIVER FALLS !!!!!!!!! Its is so beautiful. You have got to go and see it. I too am FAt and out of shape and I climb the thing . I made sure I held a guides hand and my husband was behind me.

my family climed them twice but I was tooo tired.

Also about middle was up the falls there is a place you can exit if you get too tired.
You could even come into the falls at this(exit) point and walk around just a little if you are not up to climbing the thing.

Again...........do not miss this just because you are FAT and out of shape.

If you can park at the very very last parking place in Wal MArt and walk to the store without giving out.......you will be ok.

If you can not do this then begin now with this small excerise and just see how well it will help you.

good Luck
Old June 10th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Happy Camper

When we went to Jamaica we did a Plantation Tour that included a stop at the falls - just not climbing them. We had someone in our group that had knee surgery and was very out of shape and we had a great time on this tour and the plantation was great and we got to see more than just the falls... Just an idea.. Debbie