Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Captain

Default Carnival Eliminates Some Calls in Key West

June 10, 2004

Carnival Eliminates Some Calls in Key West
As a result of construction on Key West's Outer Mole pier -- Carnival's main docking spot -- the cruise line is eliminating calls there on two itineraries. Passengers impacted are those booked on some four-night Western Caribbean cruises on Fascination (every other week), and all of those on Inspiration.

Carnival had initially planned to adapt to the temporary situation of the out-of-use-pier by tendering passengers, but a number of complications ensued. Because neither ship has its own tenders, Carnival was forced to use local boats whose capacity turned out to be too limited for the vessels' 2,000-passenger capacities. In addition, both Fascination and Imagination only make half-day calls to Key West, so time on land, which was limited to begin with, became ridiculously restricted due to the time-consuming tendering operation.

"We tried to tender and it was not very effective," says Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz. "People were unhappy about the narrow window of time on Key West and the volume of complaints was extensive."

The pier was closed by local port officials on May 1 and is anticipated to reopen on November 1. Carnival plans to resume its regular Fascination and Imagination itineraries at that time.

Rather than replace Key West with another port, Carnival has opted to extend its call at Cozumel, the only other stop on these itineraries. The cruise line is offering passengers booked on the changed cruises a full refund if desired.

Carnival is the only cruise line affected by construction on that particular pier. Others that call in Key West will continue to dock at Mallory Square or Pier B.
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:09 PM
SailingGlory

Default Re: Carnival Eliminates Some Calls in Key West

Carnival has also suspended Key West as a Port-of-Call on its' "Glory" itinerary. They have, unfortunately, replaced it with Costa Maya. In my opinion, an absolutely awful destination. "Cruise Village" in the middle of the jungle. I only wish they had extended stays at other ports -of -call rather than substitute this "nothing" port.

Sailing on 7/31/04-Western - still looking forward to it, but a little disappointed.
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

Bummer! I was looking forward to seeing Key West on my 10/4 cruise on the Fascination. Oh well, maybe next time! Have a great evening all!

Cathy

Old June 10th, 2004, 04:57 PM
cruisebaby1

Thanks for the info luv2cruise - I am glad they will reopen in November, hubby and I are looking at that itinerary for Feb or April 2005. Really wanted to see Key West
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am booked on the Fascination on 09/06/04. Looking at Carnival's website, this cruise is stopping in Key West. (The week before, and the week after, it is not.)

Does anyone know if we will be tendered, use an alternate pier, or some other method to keep off the ship in Key West?

Personally, I would rather have a longer time in Cozumel, as it would allow time to go to Tulum, in addition to other activities the same day.

Old June 11th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ty Send a message via Yahoo to Ty

Gosh! I guess I have to change my plans.
We are cruising 10/25 on a 4 night to Key West and Cozmel. I was really looking forward to having so fun down in Key West.

Oh Well