Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:33 PM
pumpkin24

Default somewhat disappointed

I used the kelly method to pinpoint our gty cabin. We booked 6a gty in Nov 2003 for Aug 2004 cruise. At this point in time, we are assigned cabin 1429 - no upgrade at all! We booked the cruise for our honeymoon so we'll have fun regardless. But I've been dreaming of an upgrade, I guess it could still happen at the port, but I'm feeling somewhat disappointed that we didn't even get upgraded to a higher deck.
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:42 PM
pg

Default Re: somewhat disappointed

Pumkin have you contacted the cruiseline to see if the proce has dropped since you booked? If it has tehy will often offer an upgrade of refund, Contact ASAP
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:52 PM
pumpkin24

Default Re: Re: somewhat disappointed

All of the cabins in my category have sold out - 6a to 6d - so don't think the price has dropped as there are no more tickets to buy for my category. Any other hints?
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Admiral

just call & ask if you are eligible for an upgrade... wont hurt to ask.... we got upgraded 6 levels !!!
Old June 18th, 2004, 07:52 AM
First Mate

also, tell them that it is your honeymoon...it couldn't hurt. I think upgrades during high season (june,july,august) are more difficult as that is when the ships are full.

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Passenger

HEY PUMPKIN JUST BECAUSE YOUR CATEGORY SOLD OUT DOESNT MEAN U WONT GET UPGRADED IT IS EASIER TO SELL LEAST EXPENSIVE CATEGORY CABINS THEN THE EXPENSIVE ONES CALL YOUR T/A OR CARNIVAL AND ASK IF THERE IS ANY KIND OF PROMOS U WILL BE SUPRISED WHAT THEY CAN DO
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Passenger

Hi pumpkin24.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you did book a 6a GUARANTEE !!! That means you're guaranteed category 6a with a possibility of an upgrade... the chances of getting an upgrade is good, but if there are still some cabins in that category by the time your cabin gets to be assigned, then that's what you'll get. Also it can be anywhere on the deck, in front, in the back, close to stairs and elevators where the noise is louder, etc... I don't like to book that category, since you can have any cabin available. And I surely don't wanna be stuck with one of the first cabins foward or one of the last cabins aft. Those are the worst !

It's really too bad you didn't get your upgrade... I guess you lucked out there.... but like Steph_texas said, try to get a better upgrade by calling Carnival... it can't hurt, and you might be able to get something better... and since you'll be on your honeymoon... who knows !!!

If I guessed correctly, you'll be on a Conquest class ship, or a Destiny class ship... which means you have a cabin way in the back... definitely try to call CArnival and get another cabin... you'll hear and feel the motors a lot... it really shakes in the back, and can be very very noisy...

Anyway, I really hope you get a better cabin... but even if you don't , don't let that ruin your honeymoon... I'm certain you'll have a great time !!! And most importantly, enjoy your cruise !
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

We went the least expensive route and booked an Inside guarantee, but we were upgraded to a 4G when Carnival ran one-day upgrade special that allowed us to upgrade to the highest level of room in our category. I contacted my PVP and she gave us the upgrade. We ended up on the Panorama Deck with an inside room instead of the Riviera Deck where we started out. I guess that's something. I was told that an upgrade from one category to another category is rare, although not totally unheard of.

(Be careful what you wish for though. My sister in law took an Alaskan cruise last year and learned upon arrival that she'd been upgraded from an inside to an outside balcony room---she was sooo excited until she realized that it NEVER got dark outside! She was wishing for an inside room after the first "night".)

At the time I booked I just couldn't justify spending an extra $600 for a balcony....we figured we could use that money for excursions, shopping,etc, considering the small amount of time we'll actually spend in the room. Next time, though, I think we'll go for the balcony anyway. This time, I can always hope to be upgraded to another category...it's highly unlikely, I know, but it's fun to dream.

Post Edited (06-18-04 14:46)
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:13 PM
pg

I guess Pumkin the best advice that you will ever get from everyone is CALL Carnival!!!
Nothing bad can come of it, and some good might!

Keep us posted!
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Yeoman

I hope you weren't expecting an upgrade. Always book what you'll be happy with. Then if you get an upgrade, it's always a bonus.
Yes, we all love those upgrades!
Old June 18th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Beginner

Can someone please explain the Kelly method? Thanks.