Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:03 AM
Fireman's wife

Default Miami or FLL

We have decided to fly to FLL instead of Miami airport, it is cheaper.
Our cruise is departing from the port of Miami the next day.
What would you do? Stay at a hotel in FLL the night before and get a Taxi to the port
the next day or go straight to Miami and stay at a hotel and get shuttle to the port of Miami. We do not know the area around the port and have heard it was not the greatest. We are looking for the cheapest but safest place. Also, does anyone know if Carnival offers transfers from FLL to the port. I have thought about Priceline and getting a hotel in FLL and then back to FLL airport the next day and getting Carnival to transport us to the port. Has anyone done this before? We will be flying in on Sept 5 which is Labor Day weekend so I have to book a hotel now!! Any suggestions on the type of transportation to use to get from FLL to Miami. It will just be my husband and myself.
Thanks for all the advice, everyone has been so helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:21 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Miami or FLL

Hello, I have done both of these before, #1 flew into Miami and took taxi to port (20$) and then also flew into FLL and took a limo service into the port (85$ thats with gratuity included). We flew in the day of both times, and stayed after in both miami and FLL. In miami we stayed at South Seas Hotel we paid 100 for double room and had free breakfast, then in Fll we stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 (priceline 97$).
We chose do to Fll because the air tickets were about 150$p/p less than flying into Miami, but If it were a difference of less than 50$ I would have chosen Miami due to the cost of taxi to the port. (we had a group of 7 though, so we would have had to take more than 1 taxi, or pay more for a van.) The bad thing about Miami is it is a busier airport so it takes longer to get through with security, but FLL only took us a few minutes to get through. Any other questions feel free to email or post.

Michele
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:32 AM
Duke-

MY FELLOW CRUISERS
I WOULD ( MY ONION...!!) GO TO PRICELINE.COM ( BID A *3 SHOULD BE AROUND $39.00 SHOULDN'T BE A BIT MORE THOUGH I WOULDN'T DO $45.00) AND RESERVE A ROOM IN MIAMI THERE ARE MANY HOTELS RIGHT BY THE PORT OF MIAMI ( YOUR DEPARTURE) . GRAB A QUICK SHUTTLE TO YOUR POINT OF DEPARTURE THE NEXT AM.

WHEN YOU COME INTO FLL GO TO THE RESV. DESK AND ASK AOUT SHUTTLE ( WHITE TRANSPORT BUSES) TO THE PORT OF MIAMI YOU CAN ALSO CHECK THE INFORMATION ( 411) FROM YOUR AREA TOO. A TAXI TO MIAMI FROM FLL IS GOING TO COST YOU. ( SAVE THAT FOR YOUR CRUISE)

I HOPED I HELPED IN SOME WAY AND HAPPY CRUISING
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:35 AM
Fireman's wife

Default Re: Re: Miami or FLL

Thanks Michele
We have a return flight leaving at 12:56 from FLL is that enough time to reach the airport or should I change. I know the cruise ship states we will be back at port by 8
but you know how that goes. Do you know how long it takes from FLL to the port?I check the flight and will will save about 200.00 for 2 tickets going to FLL instead of Miami. Thanks it helps to have advice from a pro!
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

Michele,

Your return flight is close, but there is a fair chance you will make it if you carry your bags off the ship. This is an option with Carnival; if you carry your own bags off the ship you can disembark early. The drive from the miami cruise port to FLL is 30 minutes.

If I were you, I book hotels in Miami Downtown or South Beach for the day before and the day after on Priceline. You probably can get a 3 star hotel in the downtown area for around $35. On the morning of the cruise you only have a short taxi trip to the port. After the cruise, you can visit South Beach which is a nice place to see. The beach is clear close to those in the Bahamas. There is a long strip of bars, clubs, live music, restaurants, and shops. You are already there, you might as well see it.
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

As far as transportation from FLL to MIA (wheteher it is to the port day of cruise, or hotel day before) both tri-county limo and super shuttle provide much better rates than what was quoted in previous post.

I think Fireman's wife main concern here is safety. Unfortuneately, Miami has an ill-deserved reputation for safety due to some foreign tourist incidents several years ago. The truth is Miami is just as dangerous as any other city of similar size. I will advise that you do want to watch your surroundings whenever you are in ANY unfamilliar place.

Having grown up in South Florida, I can attest that there are areas in both MIA and FLL that I would not want to venture into, mainly the areas just off the interstate between MIA and FLL, in what is known as North Miami.

There have been several occasions when I have been on my own in downtown Miami, even when I was in my teen years. It is a fairly relaxing area during the day. I would not however, walk around this area at night on my own.

Having said this, I do agree that the best hotel deals for cruise passengers leaving out of the Port of Miami are at the 3* Priceline hotels in downtown Miami. I am not afraid to stay in this area, and will be staying at the Hyatt (thru Priceline) for my next cruise. Even though I am comfortable staying in this area, I'll be the first to admit that it is safer to take a cab if going out at night.

If anyone else has any saftey advice/issues, please post.

(Note to fireman's wife: Did you get the priceline email I sent to you?)
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:51 PM
fire'sman wife

Default Re: Re: Miami or FLL

Yes, Thank you for all you help. I have booked a pre-cruise with the Hilton Miami near the airport. I added the cost of transfer to and from FLL and I checked flights to Miami
the amount is just about the same. So I am thinking of booking in and out of Miami and
using the hotel shuttle to the port. We will be just relaxing by the pool at the Hilton
My children saw the hotel and are begging me to take them I wander if Carnival
will noticed a 2 year stuffed in a totebag!!!!!!!!!! If is not like I am trying to hid drinks!!! However, we do plan to take them to Myrtle Beach before the cruise so they are find!!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Miami or FLL

You're welcome.....

The Hilton is a nice hotel as well. Be careful there, although the area isn't absolute slums, it isn't exactly the nicest part of town either. Just like any other unfamilliar area, it is always advisible to watch your surroundings.

Maybe I'll meet you and your husband on the ship! As evidenced below, I'm counting down the days!

Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband, a FF/Medic, and I, plus 4 friends, all in the EMS field, will be sailing on the Paradise on July 4 and we are also flying into FLL. We are staying at the Sheraton Sea Port/Airport and will shuttle there on the 3rd when we get in. We contacted A Family Limo for our transportation to and from the ship b/c with 6 of us, it is as cheap as the Carnival shuttle. Carnival does offer the transportation for I believe, $32 pp, round trip. Have a great cruise!