Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:54 PM
CanadynGrl@aol.com

Default Cozumel

I am looking for information on private tour operators in Cozumel who offer the Dolphin Encounter tour.

I would also be curious to know what Carnival charges for this excursion.

I have a family of 5 (40/37/15/10/8) - any other suggestions for activities in Cozumel for my family and I?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Please email me directly and indicate Cozumel in the subject line.

Thanks in advance.

Tracey
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Cozumel

Tracey

Try cozumelinsider.com. That's who I used to book the sea lion swim. They had several options with different prices. I did the swim in Nassau last year with my kids and we all loved it. Go for the swim and not the encounter.

Darcy
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:40 PM
DRoyer8574

Do not book the Carnival site seeing and shopping tour !! $50 and ruben the cuban took us to nowhere and back ! Your better off doing your own thing
Old July 3rd, 2004, 01:31 AM
Admiral

Tracey - Carnival charges $95 each for the Dolphin Encounter - we took it because it was our first cruise and weren't sure of things - like getting back to the ship in time. We will be a little more adventurous next time. We really did enjoy the experience with the Dolphins though - it was wonderful. Enjoy - Jennifer
Old July 3rd, 2004, 05:38 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cozumel

These are the excursions offered by carnival:

Dolphin Discovery
Duration: 3 hours
Price per person: $99.00
Activity level: Easy; Camp Carnival-Recommended

Don't miss the opportunity to meet one of the ocean's most amazing creatures!
Tursiops truncatus, otherwise known as the bottle-nose dolphin is a very
social animal and waiting for a visit from you! You will be transported to
Chankanaab National Park where you will have a short orientation and then it's
time to meet the dolphins. Spend approximately 30-40 minutes on a platform
with the dolphins where you can touch, pet and learn all about their behavior
as well as going through selected exercises with them. After your encounter,
take some time to roam about Chankanaab Park and experience the beautiful
beach, lagoon, botanical garden, ruins and other exciting features that make
this a superb tour. Note: This is an encounter program, not a swim with the
dolphins program.

Dolphin Swim and Snorkel Adventure
Duration: 3 hours
Price per person: $165.00
Activity level: Moderate; Camp Carnival-Recommended

Enjoy some of Cozumel's best snorkeling as well as the opportunity to swim
with the dolphins! Your adventure begins with a short ride to Chankanaab
National PArk; here you will have an orientation explaining everything you
need to know in order to enjoy the dolphin swim. Experienced dolphin trainers
will take you into the water with the dolphins and guide you through an
incredible experience with these amazing creatures. The swim portion is
approximately 30 minutes long and the rest of your time is yours to enjoy
at Chankaanab Park. The park features a beautiful beach, botanical gardens
a museum and some interesting replicas of Mayan ruins. Snorkel right from the
beach enjoying the multitude of colorful fish, reef life and coral formations.
Old July 4th, 2004, 11:44 AM
CanadynGr

Thanks to all - wonderful and helpful information!
Old July 4th, 2004, 05:00 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

Tracey,

We went on the conquest last year. In Cozemel we went to Dolphin Discovery. Look at www.dolphindiscovery.com . We did NOT buy the ship excursion. We got a cab and went on our own. The ship sold out. When we got to the park, we bought tickets for $75.00 each. That included the dolphin encounter, the beach, and the ruins tour. We also did not have the wait that some of the ship scheduled people did. We got there and our encounter was only a 30 minute wait. We enjoyed the beach which was gorgous, clean, and water that was crystal clear. We toured the ruins park that was there and caught one of the many waiting cabs back to the ship. We cleaned up and spent the afternoon shopping. We did buy the pictures of the dolphins which can be pricey, but I also took a water camera. When I develped my pictures, they were every bit as good as the ones taken by the park. It was a great experience. We had two teen aged boys and they both loved it.

Good luck!
TC
Old July 5th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

thanks again - wonderful!
Old July 6th, 2004, 11:18 AM
teach

Definitely just go to Chankanaab park on your own. They had lots of room left at different times during the day for the dolphin swim and encounter. The Swim was only $99 through them. It is safe to get there by taxi and back to the ship- no problems!!! I was nervous about doing it on my own, but it all went just fine! Enjoy yourself. You can also just watch the dolphins from the side while the others do their experience. It's a fun place with great snorkeling too! We saw lots of huge starfish, baracudas, and lots of neat fish! Enjoy your cruise!!! :-)
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:58 PM
First Mate

Will you tell me more about the Dolphin Discovery? How much of it did you actually get to swim with the dolphins? How much is a taxi ride? How long does it take to get there? Also, where did your cruise ship come in to? Ours is coming into Montego Bay.

Thanks
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Virtue

Don't book any excursions with the ship at this port. Highly recommend just going to Chankanaab park. There, you can snorkle or try to do a dolphin encounter. Admission to the park is $12 a person. The snorkling is as good as you will get anywhere in the western carribean.

Last month I booked the clear kayak and snorkle tour through the ship. The skorkling was not very good. We then walked over to Chankanaab Park and the snorkling was absolutally amazing.

Recommended in this port is Chankanaab Park for most of the day, then spend the rest shopping. Don't waste time booking an excursion with the ship.
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM
fun4me

Default Re: Re: Re: Cozumel

Our ship went to Cozumel. If you do the dolphin swim you get to kiss, shake hands, pet, and take one ride on his fin. We had about 15mins. of free play with him. He swam in a circle and we watched and petted as he came by. The royal swim is with two dolphins and you basically do the same things. I thought it was worth the 99.00pp we paid. Carnival charges 155.00pp if you book through them.
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Passenger

Hi, Re: The Dolphin Encounter at Chankanaab Park, can anyone watch the dolphins by paying admission to the park, or do you have to pay extra to get into the area to even see the dolphins? We are trying to decide between Playa Del Sol (or Playa Mia, as it is now called) and Chankanaab Park. We am taking my husband's parents who are in their 60's and I am not sure which place they would like better. I am thinking Chankanaab, especially if we can see the dolphins. What do you think? Also, which is a closer taxi ride from the ship (Playa Del Sol or Chankanaab)? Thanks!
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:47 PM
teach

I don't know which place is closer in Cozumel, but people can just sit and watch the dolphins from the side at Chakanaab Park. There are benches a few feet from the area where the dolphin swim/encounter takes place. I enjoyed just getting to see the dolphins do their tricks. I highly recommend this place. I loved it!!!
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Cozumel

How much was the Taxi to cha Park from the port? Thanks

Melissa
Old August 21st, 2004, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cozumel

We were wondering the same thing? The cost of the taxi ride so we don't get ripped off. Ro
Old August 21st, 2004, 12:27 PM
SarahW

Advice on the taxi ride - negotiate the price before you get in! They have a sign up that tells you the prices but none of the drivers will stick to that - they will go higher if you don't get it straight before you leave. We made this mistake last week. We had 6 people and took a van. The sign said it was $10, but the driver made us pay $14 when we got there. Then on the way back, when we arrived at the ship we handed him our $14 and he said, No, it's $20. We argued with him but it was no use. We just gave him $20 and learned our lesson for next time. It should have been $10 each way per the sign.