Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:11 AM
Admiral

Default Formal Nights on Carnival

I've heard that the dress code on Carnival is, for the most part, ignored. Is this true? I would hate to be the only one dressed up on formal night when everyone else is dressed down. Should I bother to bring my formalwear?
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:23 AM
Pam M.

Default Re: Formal Nights on Carnival

It varies.....some very formal (prom type dresses), elegant pant suits, and some (like me) just a nice long summer dress with a jacket. But most everyone is dressed up. Hope this helps,
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:25 AM
Passenger

On our cruise in May the dress code was on enforced at all. on formal night i would say half were in shorts or jeans. there were quite a few dressed up as well from very formal to just formal.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

On the Conquest last October on formal nights most everyone was dressed up. Some were very well dressed while others were like Sunday church dressed. It would be best to dress up on formal night because this is when you have the most pictures taken and that makes the night even more fun. I hope this will help you.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 06:26 AM
sls

The majority will be dressed up and getting pictures taken. You won't feel out of lace by dressing up.

sls
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

On the Inspiratin in April most everyone was dressed up on formal nights. There were a few exceptions and they stuck out.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:06 AM
Passenger

90% of the people will dress for the occasion. Whether it be formal(tux/gown), or suit and dress, or coat w/tie and etc. Ther will always be a few who don't and that is their choice. They will be out of place---You will not be.!

Carl

Celebrity Horizon Sept 04 Bermuda
Carnival Liberty Sept 05 Western Mediterranean

Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Ginamarie

We were on the Miracle earlier this month and my DH and I both dressed up (he in his tux and me in a simple black dress), and didn't feel out of place.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:11 PM
cruisebaby1

Default Re: Re: Formal Nights on Carnival

I think alot of people like to dress for formal night. My husband and I chose to attend the first formal night on our cruise and had a wonderful night. The second formal night we stayed in shorts and ate in the alternative buffet. Some people like it and some dont,
but I saw many more people dressed up than not. Have a great time...
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

MOST people who go into the dining room on formal night dress up pretty much formally or at the very least...REALLY dressed. There are always a few who buck the rules and requirements, but they have to endure the stares and rolling eyes and looks that beg to question, "What part of FORMAL don't you understand?"

Old June 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM
kware

i know we all have the right to speak our mind but i disagree with your statement everyone has paid there money to cruise just like the others so who cares what they wear mind their own business that's what's wrong with the world now. i say have a great time .
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Yeoman

There will always be a "rebel" or two that refuse to dress up. But the majority do dress up in at least "casual dress" and that is acceptable. If you show up in a pair of cutoffs and a t-shirt you will look out of place. I am only speaking from my experience, which is from a longer cruise. I have heard some say that shorter 3-4 day crusies are a little more "relaxed" about dress codes.(which is why I prefer longer ones!)
Have Fun and wear what you feel is acceptable.

Lesley
Old June 28th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

most people dress up on formal nights, some in tuxes and evening gowns, others in church clothes. i really don't know if anyone was not dressed up on my cruise because i didn't pay a whole lot of attention. it doesn't really matter to me as long as they are dressed and no armpit hair showing, please.
Old June 28th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

>>>Kware: i know we all have the right to speak our mind but i disagree with your statement everyone has paid there money to cruise just like the others so who cares what they wear mind their own business that's what's wrong with the world now. i say have a great time >>>Kware

I understand that everybody pays their money to cruise, but everybody also agrees when they sign the contract for that cruise that they will abide by what the cruiseline REQUIRES in their dress codes, behavior and other rules the cruiseline sets.

I hope I understood your statement because there wasn't any punctuation in it, so I had to guess at where one thought started and ended.

Old June 28th, 2004, 07:39 PM
venice

just curious, if your screen name is "cruiseaholic" can it be inferred that you have cruised alot or do you just like the name?..you indicated you already have formal wear, why not wear it ? how many other times in the course of your life do you get to "really " dress up ? and if you look good in your formal duds, do you really care about what others who choose not to dress up think ?

I really like "cruisebaby's" outlook on this..one of the formal nights get really dressed up and if you choose not too on the 2nd eat at the buffet

one of the great things about cruising is doing things that you would not do in your normal routine. one of the "fun" things that I enjoy doing on a cruise is while my girlfriend is getting dressed for 2nd seating, is to go "people watching" and see what the folks are wearing at 1st seating and report back to her if I see her dress on another woman (and then of course reassure her that she looks much better and sexier). You can always spot the men who don't like to dress up but do it to make their wives and girlfriends happy (and have a nice picture) and they sort of "bond" together, but I think secretly they are happy if their spouse is happy and after all that's what cruising is all about
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:48 PM
upwardbutterfly

We just came home yesterday from the elation. We went to formal night, and everyone I seen was dressed up. It all depends on what you think dressed up is. If you have a dress on, I don't think they will tell you to go away. Not everyone thinks that it needs to be a $200.00 dress. I borrowed a brides maid dress from a friend, it was long a pretty, and my husband wore a dark suit, no one looked down on us. The lady that was sitting at our table just had on a street length dress and it looked nice. They won't let you wear shorts or a bathing suit into the dinning room at anytime. In the other eating areas they don't care what you wear at any time during the day. (which you aren't suppose to go in there without shoes or a shirt they need to worry about enforcing that one, no one wants to see that when they are eating). I seen alot of knee length black dresses, and most of the lady's had on long dresses or nice pant suits. The men wore everything from tux's to light suits, to dark ones, as long as they have a jacket and a tie they are fine.
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:05 AM
GA

there always has to be a smart --- in the buch somewhere.