Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I.D. for my 16 year old????

Hi everyone,

We are cruising Aug. 1st on the inspiration and I thought that my 16 year old son would have his Driver's License by then. As it turns out, he will not. My question is this: I have his state issued (the one with the seal) birth certificate, but what does he use for a photo I.D.? He has his school I.D. with a picture, but that is not state issued. Does he even need anything else other than the birth certificate since he is under 18? What do I need to take for him? I would hate to get there and find out we don't have proper I.D. for him.

Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: I.D. for my 16 year old????

same here - i am taking my daughter's school id & birth certificate. she just cruised in april and that worked fine for her.
Old June 28th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you have the raised seal birth certificate and an official picture ID (drivers license don't have raised seals) you will be ok. They just want to be sure the picture on the FACE, and on the CARD match with the name on the official raised seal birth certificate. I highly recommend getting a passport as soon as you are able to. It won't be long before we will need them for ID for many things including air travel within the country.

Old June 28th, 2004, 06:17 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

I dont think its required for people under 18 to have ID other than a birthcertificate, but you can use your son's drivers license permit or get him a regular ID just to be on the safe side. Im afraid the school ID will not really be taken seriously by anyone if a second form of ID (besides the birth certificate) is needed.
I would suggest going to the DMV and just getting an identification card for your kids.

Old June 28th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for all the info, everyone!

The rest of us (me, my hubby and my daughter) all have passports. I am afraid I didn't think ahead on this issue because I had already looked into getting my son a state issued I.D. and a passport and since we are only 4 weeks away from our cruise, neither the DMV or the Passport office could guarantee having those documents arrive on time for this cruise. I will have to go with the student I.D. and his birth certificate. Hopefully, it will suffice as dmdiver said they just used that with their daughter in April and it worked fine.

Thanks again for all the input. I really appreciate all the tips and info I get here!
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm pretty sure the student ID will suffice, especially if it's a public school.

Old June 28th, 2004, 08:22 PM
green eyed lady

I called Carnival about my 16 year old and they told me his school picture ID was fine along with his birth certificate. Hope this helps.

Jen
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Admiral

I don't think you even have to have a school ID. My son is homeschooled and he sailed with just his birth certificate.

We have since obtained passports for the whole family and feel a sense of relief to not have to bother with this ID question anymore!

Have a great sail.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 28th, 2004, 10:38 PM
theonemermaid

I took my 14 year old on a Carnival Cruise in April. All she needed was her birth certificate... No one ever asked for a photo ID because she is a minor.
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

This is great! I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear first hand from so many of you that all will be fine with this form of I.D.

Thanks again everyone!
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:55 AM
bjkeen

As long as the birth certificate that has the raised seal you should be fine with that and the picture I.D. from the school. I went to the driver's license office and had a picture I.D. made for mine because I was afraid she would loose her school I.D.
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

From Carnival.com

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older, must provide an official photo I.D.

A school ID is fine.