Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:14 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Cancel a cruise b/c of low reservation rates?

Im sure this is a silly if not supid question, but Do they ever cancel a cruise b/c not enough people signed up??
I havent found anyone on the boards that is going on my cruise (not that that is a REAL indication of how many people have booked), but from looking at sites and "pretending" that I want to book my cruise, it looks like TONS of cabins are still available. We arent sailing until October...Do most people really wait that long to book their cruises?

What do they do if not enough people book a cruise? Just lower the price enough that they fill it up? Any experience with a this?

Thanks!

Post Edited (06-29-04 13:18)

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cancel a cruise b/c of low reservation rates?

You will not sail alone. Typical ship's occupancy is way over 90%. Not being able to find somebody on a cruise message board is no indication of an empty ship.
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:17 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

Right - I wasnt really concerned about the lack of people on the boards as I was about the fact that the ship still had tons of cabins in all levels available. I have since learned from talking to some people that they will just lower the price if the occupancy is still very low as it gets closer to the sail date and that they will NOT cancel a cruise. Good news for me!

Old June 29th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Uncmarts

The ship does not generate any revenue by canceling
Old June 29th, 2004, 04:03 PM
venice

the cruselines are becoming very sophisticated about yield management (much like the airlines) and at certain "triggering" points will generate all types of incentives (including lowering the cabin fare) to meet their cabin occupancy and revenue goals..very often they will offer special deals to preferred vendors who pass the savings onto the customers...if a ship is not at least 90% full when you get there (with the exception of a last minute cancellation of a large group or airplane connection problems) something is really not right...one of the by products of 9/11 is that in the old days you could actually go to the port and stand by the day of the cruise and pay a flat fee..now the manifest must be forwarded to TSA I think at least 72 hours before departure
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to snowball

I've never heard of a cruiseline cancelling a cruise because of poor sales. You should make sure you keep checking the rates for your cruise, because it sounds like they may have to slash prices in order to fill the ship, then hopefully you'll be able to get a refund or a shipboard credit.

Until my Date with Destiny arrives!!!

Triumph 05/00
Destiny 04/02
Miracle 05/04
Legend 10/04
Valor 06/05
Destiny 06/06
Old June 30th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

They don't cancel, but what they sometimes do is offer really good rates to groups and clubs. I once went on a cruise and booked very early and the ship wasn't sailing full, so they sold a group deal to a gay and lesbian club and there were a whole lot of people on that cruise and we had one of the best cruises ever! They were a really fun bunch to end up cruising with.

There were some uptight people at the beginning of the cruise that found out about them sailing with us and had a fit, but they ended up having the most fun of all with the gay and lesbian group. The older gay guys put on a drag show one night that was such a hit with so many people, they were asked to do it again for a 2nd show so all those that didn't see it the first time got to see it again!

Old July 1st, 2004, 07:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes it's happened. Paradise about 2 years ago had a few 10 day cruise itineraries scheduled but due to lack of interest they were canceled and turned back into 7 night cruises. I guess there weren't enough non smokers to fill the ship for 10 days?