Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:00 PM
Celia

Default booze on board?

I was just wondering if anyone has brought their own alcohol onto the cruise? If so how did you pack it? In original bottles? In the checked luggage or what you carried on? Thanks for the info!!

Sailing on the Elation on July 18, 2004!!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:19 PM
fellow cruiser

Default Re: booze on board?

If you go to search and put in booze, alcohol, and liquor... many past posts and information from this board will pop up.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, I've found if you look around these posts long enough, you'll find lots of tips on how to "sneak" and "smuggle" and get around the rules in general. Some seem to think it's okay to do whatever they want to as long as they don't get caught. That's not how I live my life, but to each his own.....

Post Edited (07-02-04 16:44)
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm with ya Pam!

Old July 2nd, 2004, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks, Georgie,

I'm generally a "mind my own business" kind of person, but I've seen so many of these get-around-the-rules posts that I finally felt I had to offer my opinion. It's nice to know that there's someone else that shares my view.

I saw a post a few days back in which someone actually volunteered that they had managed to change the date on an old beverage card ,and they wondered if they would be able to get away with it. They went on to ask if anyone else had ever done that and gotten away with it? Wouldn't that be stealing?

I've seen some folks try to justify this kind of behavior by saying that the cruise line overcharges, but they certainly couldn' t go into a department store and justify stealing some little thing just because something other item they bought was over-priced., or go into a hotel and steal the televison (or towels) because the room rate was too high. Actually, I guess they could, but if they were caught, they'd be arrested for stealing. And, by the way, even if they didn't get caught, it's still stealing. Cheating is cheating and stealing is stealing, detected or not. You're either following the rules or you're not. In my book, there is no justification....

I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm going to go on my cruise and not let others' inappropriate behavior interfere with my enjoyment of the cruise.

Post Edited (07-02-04 16:43)
Old July 2nd, 2004, 03:39 PM
Beginner

I'd like to say something about the booze on board issue. My husband and I are decent and basically honest people just like most of the rest of the world, no better or worse than any of you. Now, we like to have a couple drinks in our room before we go out for the evening just like we do on every vacation we take. We're not talking bringing a gallon of alcohol, just a small bottle to keep in the room and I don't see the harm in that and I don't think of it as stealing. We also like our drinks strong and know that we aren't going to get that type of drink from a bartender when we're out and about so why shouldn't we be able to enjoy a couple first? We are perfectly willing to pay for our drinks when we're out of the room.
I dare any of you self-righteous hypocrites to tell me that you have never cheated or told a "little white lie" of any kind ever in your lives. Come on, this is the real world. We're not talking grand theft here, just a couple drinks for crying out loud.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not claiming that I'm any better than anyone. Actually, I have no problem with anyone else bringing booze on board (it's not my policy after all and it doesn't affect me in any way personally) but I think you should just be up front about it. In fact, I don't think the cruise line policy actually "prohibits" small amounts of alcohol, and what you've explained sounds reasonable to ME, but again it's not my policy so Carnival may not agree. It's just all the subterfuge (putting beer cans in a coke carton or putting booze in shampoo bottles) that I don't like. To me, if you're having to be sneaky to do something, something is amiss. Also, It sounds like more effort than it's worth...to me anyway.

Also, I don't consider myself to be a self-righteous, hypocrite either. I try to behave honestly, but I am human, and I am far from perfect. Neither do I try to impose my values on anyone or demand that anyone behave according to MY code of conduct. I demand that only of myself. I was merely expressing my opinion about some of the situation I've seen described on these posts, which is what I think the purpose of such a forum is. A free exchange of ideas, right?

Changing the date on a beverage card is another thing. That's what I was referring to as "stealing." I never meant to suggest that smuggling liquor on board was stealng.
Old July 4th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Beginner

Just got back from Conquest. We went to Target and got unbreakable 1000 ml. bottles that climbers and bike riders use. Ours were Eddie Bauer. Put our liquor in there. Put it in our luggage and nobody said a thing. They do x-ray your carry on but not your checked luggage. Have fun.
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

We took two bottles on our last cruise. Are car and luggage was randomly searched by Tampa Port Authority police. They didn't say a thing or seemed to care. I buy mixers and beer on the boat so I don't feel the least bit guilty about bringing a little extra booze. Now changing the date on a soda card is downright cheap!!
Old July 5th, 2004, 02:23 PM
First Mate

We also took some alcohol with us on board although I didnt feel like I was smuggling it I did put it in our checked baggage because I didnt want to carry it on.I dont think that this is considered stealing especially when they allow you to bring on wine n champange.Not if this were such a strict guideline I dont think they would allow that either.I like to be able to hang in my room with my husband and have a few drinks before dinner or before going out to the clubs.And for those of us that like to drink we all know what a pain it is to have to run up to grab drinks then come down ahng out then up again ..Its so much nicer to be able to have drinks there get ready then go.....

Also if we were able to buy it on board and take it with us then we would rather do that even if it cost us a few extra bucks .But they dont allow you to tae it then you have to wait till the end of the cruise....... So for us its a convience thing not a cost thing.........

Old July 5th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: booze on board?

Author: jld87 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: 07-02-04 15:39

I'd like to say something about the booze on board issue. My husband and I are decent and basically honest people just like most of the rest of the world, no better or worse than any of you. Now, we like to have a couple drinks in our room before we go out for the evening just like we do on every vacation we take. We're not talking bringing a gallon of alcohol, just a small bottle to keep in the room and I don't see the harm in that and I don't think of it as stealing. We also like our drinks strong and know that we aren't going to get that type of drink from a bartender when we're out and about so why shouldn't we be able to enjoy a couple first? We are perfectly willing to pay for our drinks when we're out of the room.
I dare any of you self-righteous hypocrites to tell me that you have never cheated or told a "little white lie" of any kind ever in your lives. Come on, this is the real world. We're not talking grand theft here, just a couple drinks for crying out loud.>>>jld87
************************************************** ************************************

I would never tell you not to do what you want to do. If you don't think you're doing anything wrong then why not just call CCL and tell them what you're doing and why you're doing it? You could give them a call and tell them exactly what you think of their rules. That should clear everything up. It's between, you, CCL, and God, or whoever or what you believe in and your own set of values.
:cheers

Post Edited (07-05-04 22:24)
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:24 AM
First Mate

Thank you Georgie I have already talked to them about this ..That is how I foiund out about packing it in my checked baggage...I did also let them know that this rule kinda stunk....I feel theres a contradiction here ..Its ok for wine n champange but not booze?

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I believe you can order a bottle of booze from the cruiseline and they will deliver it to your room for your own consumption.

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:35 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

You can order wine and champagne, but not liquor. I agree with Shelly - I do not like wine and can only drink about one glass of champagne before the sweetness makes me ill. It does seem strange to allow that and not any other kind of alcohol.

Old July 6th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I pretty much only drink wine and champagne. Did you say they will allow us to bring this on board. I want to bring my own, not bottles ordered from the cruise line .
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:43 PM
DJB

Does a cooler count as checked luggage? lol

I agree with some of you that you should be allowed to have a drink or two in your cabin...

If I want to get ready to go to dinner, and have a beer while I am showering or getting ready... I should not have to run up 5 flights to get one.
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:47 PM
reeboksmm

DJB - That was great!!!! You read my mind....

What a great website!

26 days to go!!! Carnival Destiny 8/1
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:25 PM
First Mate

I had heard on one of these forums that the cost of a bottle of Hard Liquor was competitive with the stores back home.. so I think the idea of ordering a bottle from Carnival makes sense.. if the price is competitive..

That way your suitcase will have less chance of an accidental spill.

Old July 6th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Shirley...yes....the cruise documents clearly state that you can bring a reasonable amount of wine onboard at embarkation only. We brought on 6 bottles of wine, my sister put 3 in her carry-on and I put 3 in my checked luggage. Security asked her to open her bag and show that it was bottles of wine and not harder liquor, and once they saw it, there was no problem. My bottles were delivered to my room with my luggage.

We brought the wine to dinner every night, and was never charged the uncorking fee. We were also able to recork the bottle and bring the unfinished wine back to the room with us after dinner.
We also walked on with 12 cans of Diet Coke with Lime and some juice boxes for the kids becuase we wanted to have them onhand to drink in our cabin at will.

All done openly...no sneaking, no smuggling.

Our room steward opened the refrigerator and told us that if we wanted to put its contents into a drawer or the closet to make room for or stuff, it was fine with him. We returned it all to the fridge before we left.

Old July 6th, 2004, 08:31 PM
First Mate

MOM I would totally order a few bottles but I dont believe they deliver them to your room untill the night before you get off so that wouldnt do us much good..Our room is usually the room where everyone meets has a few drinks hangs out then goes out .Were not a bunch of abnoxious people trying to steal smuggle rip off or put the cruise line into bankruptcy just think it should be allowed to have some in our room............Like I said I wouldnt mind buying it from the ship as long as I could have it in my room while sailing.........

Old July 6th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Passenger

For those of you who are pro's, what IS the best way to take your own booze on board?
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:05 AM
sls

For Wine/Champagne carry it right onboard.

For other types try to find it in a plastic bottle. If in plastic double wrap it in large ziplock type bags. If not in plastic wrap in bubble wrap and double wrap in zip lock bags. Place wrapped booze in the middle of your sturdiest luggage. Remember luggage is going to be thrown in a container with other luggag possibly thrown on top before it gets onto the ship.
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:45 AM
DJB

Best way to bring booze on board a ship.... Drink it before hand... lol...

Old July 8th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

jld87 - You state: "decent and basically honest people". Then out of nowhere you state: "I dare any of you self-righteous hyprocrites" It is funny that you would make such a broad assumption of people seeing that you are a "decent" person.

Each one of us has our own sets of values and beliefs. And we all are expected to live by a set of rules and standards. We don't always like the rules, but we are expected to live by them. And I have always found it funny to watch and listen to people try to defend something that they know is wrong. Take anything in society and it is always the same.
And if you disagree with their point of view you are automatically labeled...such as "self-righteous hyprocrite"

On another thread on this website I discussed a conversation that I overheard on the Liddo Deck of the ship that I was sailing on between two young men who were discussing how they had sneaked 5 cases of beer onto the ship in a suitcase when they boarded. And how they were going to attempt to do it again in Key West - our first port of call. Nowhere in my post did I state that I thought that what they were doing was wrong....but you should see how I was beaten up....posters thought that I "should get a life"...and how rude it was for me to easy drop on their conversation. And I wasn't being a "self-righteous hyprocrite"....just discussing something that I had heard.

In this life I have a hard enough time worrying about what I do to worry about what other people do.....I may discuss things that I have seen or heard on cruises here and on other websites but for the most part I could care less. Unless it affects me directly. While I may not agree with people sneeking alcohol onto a ship....it does not affect me. And if you cannot control it -I don"t worry about it.
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Beginner

We could beat the subject to death and still have more to say about it.

I admit that I probably went a little overboard with my language in my first post, but what was really irking me was that these people felt the need to reply to the question at all. After all, the question wasn't how do you feel about bringing booze on board but rather how do you bring booze on board.

You know how many times I've seen and heard "I wouldn't do it myself but it doesn't bother me if other people do it"? If it truly doesn't bother these people then why did they post a reply? Just so they could preach? Or so they could tell the world how moral and upstanding they are and how they would never ever break or bend a rule?

It doesn't matter what you say to me about being decent, I know I am a decent and basically honest person despite the fact that I speed up at yellow lights sometimes even though I know I'm not supposed to. That doesn't make me a bad person and I don't need someone telling me "I wouldn't do it because it's against my values and my life code, but you can do it if you want to, it doesn't bother me."

You say you're not worried about it and it doesn't bother you, but you wouldn't do it yourself. Then why did you even click on a subject about something that you aren't interested in and don't care about and start reading the posts?

Post Edited (07-08-04 12:27)
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Beginner

GLW, I almost forgot, I think those guys you were talking about with the 5 cases of beer were yanking someone's chain. That would have to be a massive suitcase to have 120 beers in it and it would weigh atleast 100 pounds. I don't know about you but I find it hard to believe that they could've gotten a 100 pound suitcase through and besides, it would take two people to carry it unless there are body builders loading our suitcases. Mind you, I'm not doubting what you are saying, I just think the young men were telling a tall tale.
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

The function of this website is the exchange of information. As I browse through the website and I see a topic that looks interesting I stop and read through the posts. And there are many that I don't bother with, especially the ones looking for people for their particiular cruise.

You could have people that have never touched alcohol and they could still have an opinion about people sneaking it on board a cruiseship.

Because of health reasons I cannot get into a hot tub...but that shouldn't prevent me from stating my opinion about passengers under 18 years of age getting into them.

As for the two guys and the 5 cases of beer.....they may have been just talking...but from the nature of conversation I think that it was legitimate. It was actually amuzing sitting there reading my book and listening to them. They went back and forth discussing their plans. One of the funny aspects of the conversation was how they were going to try and take the original suitcase off the ship without attracting suspicion. They went so far as to suggest that they attempt to buy a new one Key West. I never saw them again for the remainder of the cruise. Lets see....10 cases of beer times 7 days = ? As for the suitcase....I purchased one to carry a large telescope that I have. It is 5 feet long and 3-1/2 wide....so they could have done it. I did the math and 100 pounds is close. And I know that I have taken a suitcase that had to weigh close to that.
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, apparently I pushed someone's buttons....I didn't mean to offend anyone. That means you, jld87. I was bored and expressed an opinion and apparently came off as holier-than-thou, which I certainly am not.

And to you GLW, thank you! I,too, thought message boards were for an exchange of ideas. Maybe I misunderstood. I look at lots of posts, some of which have nothing to do with what I was actually looking for in the first place. If a topic catches my attention, I read it. I don't respond to many, but for some reason I was motivated to respond to this one. Again, I have never claimed to be perfect, and I know I have broken rules before. Who hasn't? I really do try not to, but I can't say that I never have. Also, I never meant to suggest that someone who breaks a rule is not a decent person. (Lot's of factors determine "decency" and I wouldn't presume to put a label on anyone based on a single post on a message board.) I simply don't agree with their actions. I don't plan to break this rule....maybe because I don't drink that much in the first place or maybe because I'm generally a follow -the-rules kind of person. It's probably the school teacher in me. Unfortunately, I have to spend a lot of time dealing with rule-breaking in order to maintain some kind of order, so it's ingrained in me. If that stance makes me a self-righteous hypocrite, I'll just have to live with that label..the self righteous part anyway. I'm not a hypocrite because I don't say one thing and do another. (And before anyone jumps on my case about my comment about not being much of a drinker---I have nothing against drinking!! If you were to see me on my cruise, you'd very often see me with a daiquiri or pina colada in hand )

Apparently, the cruise line doesn't really enforce the policy anyway, so if they don't, why should I care. I'm almost sorry now that I took the time to state my opinion in the first place. I was mostly bothered by the "sneakiness" involved to get around this policy (or any other policy for that matter) and the attitude that as long as you don't get caught it's okay.

I sail in 3 days, so I don't plan to spend much more time on these boards anyway. This will probably be my LAST post. Truce!!!! Bon voyage to all!

Post Edited (07-08-04 14:26)
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Passenger

Good God ya'll, ENOUGH!

We are all free individuals, and opinions are like a certain part of the anatomy, everyone has one and there's always someone who stinks!

Let it go..... and lets get back to cruising and having fun, instead of raising our blood pressure over insignificant BS!

Mike
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Passenger

Does anyone know if you take a bottle of wine to the dining room if they will hold it for you until the next night? That is, if you don't finish it!!! Also, would they do this if you purchase the bottle in the dining room? Thanks, Lorraine Miracle July 24