Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:15 PM
hamptod

Default Brochure Price vs. Discount Price

I have a question for all of you. I just recently returned from the Carnival Legend 6/24 sailing and now I'm hooked. Cruised out of NY. I want to book another cruise for the last month of August. How do you folks do it, cruise so often? I have been scouring the boards trying to find the best place/method for booking another cruise and I must tell you. The pricing is just outrageous. How do you do it? If you book through Carnival directly, do you pay the brochure price or do they give you discounts?

I see so many posting that proclaim that folks got balcony cabins for under 1000$ per person. I haven't found anything like that. Any recommendations and advice would be great. The first cruise was an 8c balcony on the Panorama deck, room 8702. I got sick the first day and half so midship, up high is good for me. Down lower was bad for me.

I must tell you that I had a great inside hookup for this first cruise but may not have it again this time around. So I need all the tips, tricks, suggestions and recommendations for this next cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Brochure Price vs. Discount Price

Cruises sailing out of NY, and other N.E. ports are generally more expensive than those leaving from Florida.

Basically because of their ability to draw on the large population base of the area, and the desire of that population to cruise without traveling to a port city, the cruise lines are able to charge more.

August is also high season, with many more families cruising, so prices are higher.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Passenger

We're in a verandah suite on the Fantasy, we paid $641 pp, but we're also paying $160 pp for air, then there's transfers and a hotel the night before. So I suppose if you add it all up it comes to about $870.00 per person for us. We booked everything ourselves and seperately, no package deals so we were able to shop around for everything.

Old July 8th, 2004, 06:40 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

You now, might also be eligible for past cruiser discounts. Take a cruise in the winter months. Rates are great, you get a chance to thaw out (in the south). It will be a refreshing break. We usually do summer(cost more) and a winter hopefully. Jan. and Feb. usually have great rates. My husband and I went on a 3 day last Nov. Left the day after Thanksgiving on Magesty of the Seas. We paid an inside gty and got upgraded two decks. Paid $530. for the both of us, total. We live in GA so we were able to drive to FL. which saved a bundle. Would be nice if more ships booked out of Charleston SC. That would at least be closer for you.

TC

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old July 8th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Yes, by all means, sail in the off season. We have sailed in January and have a September booked. I would love to sail in the summer, but just can't afford it.

Also, keep scouring the internet, and perhaps find a good TA. Ours alerted *us* about the great deal we found for the Glory.

And yes, you CAN sail for under $1,000 per person at the right time of year.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:56 PM
hamptod

Default Re: Re: Brochure Price vs. Discount Price

Who/how did you book? I am really overwhelmed with all the choices. I have been on expedia, orbitz, travelocity, cruisecompete, cruisequick, some of the vendors on this board and cruisecritic's board and I gotta tell you, I have NOT been able to find anything with a Verandah for the prices you quoted.

Deborah
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:59 PM
hamptod

Thanks, this help some to understand what is going on. Thanks for the other replies, unfortunately I have a son in high school so the summer months are best for us to go. The other options are probably considered high season, the holidays. I'll keep looking.

But again, my question about brochure vs discounters, will Carnival quote you the brochure price or is the cost usually discounted?

boo hoo!!!
Old July 8th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Deb,
The best thing is to check with the advertisers right here in the shopping area. They usually give you some of the best rates going and are usually 30-50% off the brochure rates and even more!
Jim

Old July 8th, 2004, 09:13 PM
hamptod

Jim,

Thanks for the advice, I will continue checking with the information I have here. I appreciate the advice.

Deborah
Old July 8th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Passenger

We booked through Cruise Value Center on the internet. Keep in mind that we are due to sail on August 1st and have not received our tickets yet. Supposedly they were mailed out yesterday. I'm a little nervous and a little skeptical, I'll let you know when I receive our documents.
The good news is that Carnival has recognized our names, booking number and cabin, so that's a little reassurance. We booked our flight with ATA from Chicago to Orlando, we're renting a car to get to Cocoa Beach and spending the night there. The hotel has a free shuttle to the port. We are going to take the cruise line shuttle back to the airport when we disembark and fly back to Chicago the same day. Whew, and I do have to say that wasn't as easy as it sounds. :-)

Old July 9th, 2004, 06:11 AM
hamptod

Please do, any helpful tips and tricks will be appreciated. You can't imagine how frustrating this is!!
Old July 9th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Admiral

There are usually 2 prices in the actual brochure: one, the "brochure" price (the really expensive one) and the other the "discounted" price - the more reasonable. I don't know *anyone* that actually pays the brochure price.

You can book thru the cruiseline directly, but it sounds as though you want some HELP. I would heartily recommend you find a good TA. Ask your family and friends if they have any recommendations. If you truly can't find anyone you feel comfortable with, I'm sure some of us here on the boards would be happy to share our TA's! Just ask.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 10th, 2004, 08:00 AM
jamiegunter

You dont usually ever pay brochure rate. Unless you want to upgrade at the pier getting on the ship. Try looking at yahoos travel, you can pick different cruises and compare. We usually book through a travel agent at AAA. Sometimes they will get better prices because they buy up rooms on the ship. Good luck
Old July 10th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Passenger

Hello,

I was thinking of using Cruise Value Center also. Can you please let me know how it goes with them and if you have a specific agent you are working with there? I have only used Cruises Only and a travel agent in the past and I am a little worried about Cruise Value Center. Thanks!
Old July 10th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hmmmmm, I wonder why the cruiseline prints the brochure prices. they never sell at those prices. Why not just print the lower prices to begin with. It seems like it would save a lot of time and ink!

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 10th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Understand that no ONE agency will ALWAYS have the best or even the lowest price. You have to temper the price with the service and reputation of the agency and even the agent you use. Most agents are good, many very good and some excellant. It's just a matter of doing your homework and looking around and getting the best deal for you on that cruise at that time in that cat. I would never use any auction type agency, and agnecy that I cannot contact by phone immediately, an agent that is not a member of CLIA, is not a ACC or MCC, is not allowed to sell in all 50 states, etc. Those that advertise here in Cruisemates are screened and pass our 'test'. Even then, they are not 'always' the best agent but pretty darn good and reliable. I don't and will not recommend any one agent over another as there are so many that are very good that it would not be fair to place one over another and besides, every cruise can be priced differant and it's the little things that can change who is the absolute best to book with on a certain cruise.
Jim

Old July 10th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Passenger

Our travel agent gets us amazing deals. There are 17 of us from my family that cruise often and all with the same TA. She gets amazing deals, and once you cruise with carnival, they send great deals as well. Just to show how much we are saving, we went to a different travel agent in the mall ( a chain travel agent) and had her run up the exact same cruise we are already booked & paid for, and she quoted us at more than twice what we paid!!!! Crazy!-
I have a carnival brochure from the last time we sailed them (in 2000) and the list price AND EVEN the super saver price are still HIGHER than what we just paid!!! From a carnival book almost 4 years old!!! - Our TA deserves a nice gift this year!!!

Old July 10th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Joanna Rome

Hi,
I just purchased a cruise for 2 on the Carnival Holiday for a total cost of $398.00 for 2 people traveling together. The total price inclusive of port/government charges is just shy of $800.00. It is an Outside room Grade 5A. I went through bid4vacations.com. The Carnival website price is $499.00 per person plus portcharges and governent. taxes.

I purchased a cruise for two using bid4vacations.com about two years ago on the Commodore Cruise Lines for $644.00 for a seven night cruise to the Western Carribean. Yes that is correct $644.00 for two people traveling together. They sell last minute packages and packages where people have cancelled their travel plans at the last minute.

I was very happy with their service the last time that I used it and expect the same service.

If you have any questions you may contact me at my e-mail address.

Joanna Rome
Old July 11th, 2004, 08:36 AM
spike

Before you book with any travel agent, internet or live, ask about "travel agency FEES"!!!!!!! Some agencies have their own.
Some have $150.00 per person cancellation fees. Some have HUGE documentation handleing fees, shipping fees, fees to book each airline ticket......ect.
There is a reason some agencies take less of a commission.
Also, when you give a deposit, the charge on your credit card should be by the cruise line directly. I don't think the travel agency gets their commission until the trip is completed.
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Beginner

I've booked multiple cruises directly through Carnival... Their people are great. After you have signed up, you are assigned a person that acts as your personal travel agent from that point on. I highly recommend Gabriel... he is amazing and incredibly friendly and helpful. We get great deals through Carnival, and don't have to worry about the travel agent being a middle man.
Old July 12th, 2004, 06:50 PM
cruznutter

I would be interested in learning who your travel agent is. Also if you have ever taken a meditteranean or european cruise.

Thanks in advance for your help.