Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:34 AM
First Mate

Default LAX to Galveston -- your experience?

I'd like to hear from people who have booked Carnival's Elation out of Galveston, Texas, who have booked the entire trip (including flight) through Carnival.

We haven't received our docs, yet (our cruise departs Aug. 8th, so hopefully we'll get the docs in the next couple of weeks), but we'd like to know if Carnival usually does LAX to Houston flights the same day as the cruise departure or the day before.

We're hoping that its the day before, but have been told that generally Carnival tries to avoid that (the expense of the hotel room).

We figure the flight is probably about 3-4 hours long, plus there's a 2-hour time difference between California and Texas. A same-day flight is going to mean getting up in the wee hours of the morning if we're to make it to the ship in time for sailing! This is a little scary for us! How often do people "miss the boat" -- literally?

Hubby is very anxious about this. Does anyone know, if Carnival DOES arrange a same-day flight to avoid the expense of the hotel room, is there any chance of them changing the flight if we offer to pay for our own hotel room? Or some other extra fee to Carnival?

Any advice or info on your own experience would be most helpful!! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:33 PM
First Mate

Default Re: LAX to Galveston -- your experience?

bump....

!!!!
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:30 PM
jubilee

Default Re: Re: LAX to Galveston -- your experience?

You could talk to your agency about an "air deviation." You pay extra and then get to choose your flight. You would have to pay for your hotel for the night, but it would probably be worth it. I booked Carnival air to San Juan a few years ago and we flew all night and part of the day arriving exhausted. I seriously doubt they will fly you out the night before for someplace as close as Houston. Did you check out the price to book your air on your own? We are going from Portland to Houston the week after you and ours is about $200 less than the cruise fare.

Julie
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:31 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

Hi Terri910,

The others may be a bit more knowledgable about this than I am, but I believe that most lines, including Carnival, have what they call an air deviation program. For an extra fee (don't recall how much that is), you can change your flight schedule to suit your own needs, including coming in the day before.

You would also be responsible for paying for your hotel room too. Bummer, but at least this way you won't have to worry about missing the ship!

Have a great weekend!

Cathy in NYC

Old July 9th, 2004, 02:32 PM
jubilee

Default Re: Re: LAX to Galveston -- your experience?

You could talk to your agency about an "air deviation." You pay extra and then get to choose your flight. You would have to pay for your hotel for the night, but it would probably be worth it. I booked Carnival air to San Juan a few years ago and we flew all night and part of the day arriving exhausted. I seriously doubt they will fly you out the night before for someplace as close as Houston. Did you check out the price to book your air on your own? We are going from Portland to Houston the week after you and ours is about $200 less than the cruise fare.

Julie
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:54 AM
First Mate

Thanks! This is very helpful information. Our cruise is now about 4 weeks away, so I'm not sure if Carnival even has our flight information yet, but hubby says he is going to call them today. Depending on how steep the fee is, we will definitely be looking into this!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I LOVE this website!