Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:14 PM
tim r

Default Holiday Out of New Orleans Question

I think I read somewhere that it takes 6-7 hours for the ship to get out of the Mississippi river into the Gulf? That seems like a long time. Why does it take that long? I would not have thought that the Mississippi river was even deep enough for a cruise ship. Just wondering about that. I'm looking for the "blue" water.
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:41 PM
sls

Default Re: Holiday Out of New Orleans Question

Maybe lots of barge traffic on the Mississippi prevents them from going faster? Just a WAG. All I know is that on my 2 cruises from New Orleans I woke up the next morning in the gulf and boy was it rocky.

sls

Liberty 10/24/05
Destiny 12/04
Sensation 5/04
Holiday 1/04
Conquest 11/03
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Bid D

hey i just got off of the holiday it took us about 5 1/2 hours to get to the gulf but it doesn't feel like it takes that long b/c the mississippi has a lot of turns in it and the ship cant go as fast.
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:48 AM
LHP

Enjoy the ride down the Mississippi. We love looking at the small towns along the way and at night ..the twinkle of the lights from the little towns are beautiful. There will be one hard turn that you will feel....at the mouth of the river. I usually feel it more coming back than going out.
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM
NYERIC

I think its a little over 100 miles from NOLA to the Gulf - But like it was said - the boats cant travel as fast in the river as they do on the on the Gulf. Is the Gulf usually rocky??? My GF is very nervous about getting seasick, I remeber my last cruise coming out of Miami the 1st few hours were very rough but after that it settled down.
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Happy Camper

It is really neat to cruise on a river - we stay up and on deck and enjoy. It really is a long way up the river. Have a great time! Debbie
Old July 14th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Yeoman

Tim R,
Yes, the Mississippi River is very deep in spots. I've personally have seen 60-70 feet on my depth finder in my boat. It has to be deep for all the barges, and huge tankers that travel the river. Also, they have to keep a slower speed in traveling the river, usually they'll call it safety reasons.
Sit back and enjoy the ride. Its some pretty scenery to see going out.

happy cruising;
David
Old July 14th, 2004, 06:15 PM
sls

NYEric,

I got seasick on both the Conquest and the Holiday As soon as we got to the Gulf. When we got to the Carribean on the Conquest the symptoms went away. Have your girlfriend take Bonine before bed.

sls

Liberty 10/24/05
Destiny 12/04
Sensation 5/04
Holiday 1/04
Conquest 11/03