Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default safes/safety deposit boxes

This might seem like a silly thread, but my trip is getting closer and I've got more neurotic questions to have answered.

I read somewhere that all cabins have safes - I would like to confirm this as only the suites actually detail a wall safe on their description (from what I've seen). My family and I will be travelling on the Inspiration. We booked a Gty and, so far, we appear to be upgraded to an oceanview - that is no guarantee - only guarantee is that we have a room .

Do all the rooms, in fact, have safes or are they only available in suites? Are there a fair number of safe deposit boxes available on the ship? Is there any charge for these boxes?

We don't have a lot of fancy stuff and I really do expect that the staff is trustworthy, but we've opted not to carry travellers cheques as they are no longer all that convenient (commission charges to purchase them, commission charges to cash them, etc.).

While we won't be carrying a tonne of cash, it will be more than a few hundred dollars (for tips, shore excursions, etc.) and I'd like to know that there will be somewhere safe to store it, in our room.

Any comments?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Tracey

Looking forward to the first family holiday in years, aboard Inspiration:

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:08 AM
pat brennan

Default Re: safes/safety deposit boxes

They all have them, they open and lock with your sail and sign card. They are decent size for small valuables and money.
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

not all the ships use a magnetic card, some still have code-locked safes. The card ones will work with any magnetic stripe card: Credit cards, grocery cards, old S&S cards, but it is best to avoid the current card.

Old July 17th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Yes they all have safes of some sort and if for some reason you have something that you really worry about the Purser also has a safe. The ship you are going on has the safes with the magnetic strip system. The same card that you use to lock it is the card that will unlock it. They recommend that you use any card that has a strip other than your S&S card but that was back when they had the cabin # on you card. They don't do that anymore so I see no problem using them unless you think your spouse will need in the safe and you won't have your card to open it etc. The use any other card and leave it in the room where you folks know where it is at.
Jim

Old July 18th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for all the info - I'd hoped for the news you gave me.

Hmmm... the fact that I could control the money in the safe.. too good to be true! (kidding actually.. we're in two cabins and so hubby can have the other one for his stuff .

Thanks again all!

Tracey

[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=08&year=2004&d
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Don't use your S&S card - we did and it stripped the room code off so we couldn't access the room with it. Just bring an old credit card or atm card - works great. Plenty of room for all the little things as well as your camera etc. Have a great trip - stop stressing - enjoy!!! TTFN Jennifer
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:40 AM
ra

Is it really safe that you use any card to open it. How well does it work? Has anyone ever tried closing it with one card and opening it with another to see if it works?
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Admiral

I know from experience, if you close it with one card you must use the same card to open it. I needed something important and couldn't retrieve it. That's why I really like the code-locked safes best.

MARINER 8/29/2004, SPIRIT 11/17/2004
Star Princess 2003, Glory 2003
Star Princess 2002, NCL Star 2002
Westerdam 2001, Inspiration 2001
Jubilee 1989, Jubilee 1991, Elation 1999
Azure Seas 1982, Tropicale 1988
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

any card with a magnetic strip will close it. To open it again you must use the EXACT CARD: Not even another person's S&S card from your cabin on your account will work. They are all individually encoded.