Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Default Cabin Question

Hi...Very new to this board. Hope you may be able to answer a question or two. We are a family of four, including two kids ages 13 and 11. We just booked a 7 day cruise on Carnival's Miracle for this December. When we booked this cruise, we were sold an 8-C level stateroom with an extended deck. Our agent also gave us a guaranteed specific cabin number. Since booking this cruise, I have read on this board that cabins are not assigned until the of time check-in. Should we not assume that we have the cabin we think we have? Should I also assume that we do not have a level 8-C stateroom, too? I guess I'm just a little confused with all of this. We have never been on a cruise before so everything is all very new to us. I hope someone might be able to help.

Also, for anyone who has been on the Miracle, is this a good ship for kids? Would be interested to hear any views on this.

Thanks very much for any help you can give.

Mick
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Cabin Question

You can book a specific cabin or a guarantee cabin. If you book a guarantee you probably will not know your cabin assignment until check-in but a specific cabin is just that , you know your cabin # when you book and it is unliklely to change. Did you get a cabin # or a guarantee of a 8C or better?
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Admiral

There are two ways of booking a cruise. First, you book a specific room, like you did. The second, is to book a catagory guarantee. You pay for a specific category and will get at least that level of accomadation (or better). In this case you may not know the cabin number till the last minute.
The way you booked, your cabin is the one you will get.
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You should see your cabin number on your comformation papers that your travel agent should send you, if you booked a specific cabin it will be on there. If you booked a guarantee catagory, it will just show guarantee....here is a link to an article that explains it well:

Guarantee Cabin

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Passenger

I am sailing on the Conquest in September. I was able to call today and get my room number and I just booked a guarantee. They told me that due to homeland security they have to have the rooms assigned about 8 weeks prior to sailing. I was very happy to find out we had been upgraded.

Old July 20th, 2004, 05:04 AM
bjkeen

If you have a guarantee you will see GTY on your paperwork. I booked a cruise once and did not ask for a guarantee status, but received it. Some people like guarantees because they like to be surprised when they board the ship, others like to know where there cabin is located. When you reach the port the Porter will give you luggage tags that willl specifiy where your cabin is located. You could be anywhere on the ship. You could always call you ta and ask them to change your cabin status to a specified cabin providing the ship is not full.
Happy Cruising!
Old July 20th, 2004, 05:46 AM
First Mate

Regarding the Miracle, this is Carnival's newest ship and one of the most popular classes. The view of the Sunshine bridge leaving Tampa should be spectacular from your balcony. Your kids will love Camp Carnival and have plenty of companions if this falls during Xmas break. You're in for a real treat! My only suggestion is to book a ship's excursion in Belize. This is a great place for cave tubing, but not somewhere to wander around alone. Cozumel is my favorite place on earth and the beach in GC is great. You'll be hooked after this one!

Old July 20th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Passenger

Thank you all very much for responding to my question. We are both excited and anxious to experience our first family cruise this Christmas. My ta just e-mailed to me our confirmation and it has on it cabin #5131 which is on the right side of the ship (starboard side, I think). It has a king bed with a pullout sofa bed and pull down 4th bed.

I have been reading about all of the shore excursions at the various ports of call. My wife and I have decided to screen everything first, to prevent the kids from getting too excited and wanting to do everything that looks interesting. It seems that the water tubing is fun. We also thought about snorking and horsebackriding. My daughter is 11 and has been riding horses for a couple of years. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions about on board or shore activities for an 11 year old girl and 13 year old boy, please let me know. I would welcome any and all suggestions and ideas.

One again, thank you very much for responding to my post and helping me to better understand how the cabin assignments work.

Mick
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:57 PM
reeboksmm

Default Re: Re: Cabin Question

Hi all:

Sorry to dwell on the same subject...but I got a guarantee on Upper Deck (Balcony). I was told by my agent when I went to pay extra to make sure I got it, that I didn't need to because I was already guaranteed to get a cabin on upper deck (with balcony) or higher.

Here's the deal...I don't care (balcony or not) as long as its upper deck or higher. What are the chances that I'll get that???? On my papers it clearly states, Balcony - guarantee.
But it doesn't have the upper like he said......

Thanks in advance and happy cruising!

Reeboksmm
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Mick -

We were on the Inspiration in April 2004 with our children for a Western Carribean cruise ages 15, 12 & 10. We liked it so much we're booked again for the Miracle in April 2005. The following are the excursions we did.

Grand Cayman: Stingray City/Snorkel trip with Soto's Cruises @ $24/pp. Did two snorkel sites and the Sting Ray sandbar. We all had a great time.

COSTA MAYA: We didn't book a tour here. We went and walked around the pier and did some shopping. We rented a golf cart @ $15/hr and drove down the village of Mahahal. Very nice beach. We decided next year to book a tour at this port.

COZUMEL: We did two excursions here, both at Chankanaab Park . The Sea Trek which is where you get into the water with a helmet on your head and go down into the ocean about 20'. Air is pumped into the helmet through a hose in the top. The water never gets above your neck. We walked around the bottom of the ocean for about half an hour. We also did the Sea Lion swim here which was a lot of fun.

BELIZE: I booked the Cave Tubing through XStream and we had a great time.

I posted a review on this site under Reader Reviews, Carnival, Inspiration if you want to take a look. There's a more detailed review of the excursions and the prices.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me. Just put Carnival Inspiration in the heading so I don't delete it by mistake.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:58 PM
reeboksmm

Default Re: Re: Cabin Question

Jen2 - what number did you call to get your room number??
thanks, Reeboksmm
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Passenger

I called 800-819-3902 and talked to a vacation planner with Carnival. I booked through Carnival.

Old July 20th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Admiral

>>On my papers it clearly states, Balcony - guarantee>>

From looking at the deck plans for the Miracle is appears that there are no 8C cabins located lower than the upper deck (although my tired old eyes have trouble with the little print on the plans).

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04