Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Passenger

Default Grand Cayman

Hi

Whats the best thing to do in Grand Cayman? Its our first cruise and we are trying to plan our excursions...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:16 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Grand Cayman

We haven't gone yet - but found many suggestions to try one of the tours to Stingray City/ along with the snorkeling. From what I've been told - it's something that shouldn't be missed. We've never snorkled -but figured this was as good of a time as any to try it out. We've booked ours through Nativeways, but there are various tours you can go with.

Old July 20th, 2004, 07:22 AM
StaceySch

DEfnitely Stingray City. It is awesome. You cannot put it into words. the stingrays come right up to you and you can hold them or feed them. We did our cruise through Sotos and it was really nice. The guides were great and helpful. It was 24 dollars a person and you got two snorkeling sites too. That is alot cheaper than the cruiseline.
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We went through Soto's too for Sting Ray City. It was fantastic. Everyone had a great time.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:37 AM
First Mate

Definately, Stingray City! If you are nervous about booking with an outside vender -because you are new to cruising, the ships tour will cost you somewhere between $40 and $50. Last year, on Royal Caribbean it was $45. Which ever way you go, you will have a very memorable experience. Enjoy!
Libby
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:02 AM
LuckyCajun

My wife doesn't swim and doesn't like to snorkel, but I do. We also were not interested in StingRays. I used to fish when I was a kid, and hated when I hooked a sting Ray because I would have to cut my line and lose my lure I booked a glass bottom boat tour with Captain Marvins for $20 PP on Captain Marvin's website. We tendered in, and walked over to Captain Marvin's office, about 2-3 blocks; just ask the information lady at the port when you get there for easy directions. There was already a full bus for people taking the staingray tour, so the office manager took us down to 7 mile beach where we hooked up with the glass bottom boat operator. The excursion lasted about 1.5 hours, and we made 2 stops to snorkel; 1 reef and 1 ship wreck. The snorkeling was very good, and we had very good weather that day (calm water). Following the tour, we hung out at the 7 mile beach for a couple of hours. Where you catch this tour, there is a little beach bar that also serves food called "Calico Jacks". Its a little expensive, so we couldn't afford to drink until we were merry. At 2:00, we caught a shuttle back to the ship. We had a good time, and it was very economical. This excursion is on the South side of the island, so you can see the ship the entire time. Also, this beach is very long, so you can take a long walk; like you would in Florida. Have fun!!!
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Yeoman

Grand cayman is a very tourist friendly place. I could actually fly over there and stay a week or 2 with no problem. It is a very clean island.
The StingRay Island tour is the most popular of all. If you book this through the ship, you need to book this asap. This tour fills up quick. You also have the City of Hell Tour. Its pretty neat to. There are several to choose from, and they will be all good choices. There's alot of shopping you can do there to. And the best part, noone bothers you. I love that !
What ever tour you pick, I think you'll like it. Have a great cruise !

Happy sailing;
David
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

sting ray city is a must!