Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Passenger

Default tipping old style

I heard there are 3 styles of tipping.
1 tipping in advance, throuhg your TA
2 tipping through your sscard (automatic tipping)
3 tipping old style , you will ask for an envelop, and tip according the service you get.
did somebody have experience with the nr 3 style of tipping?
because when hearing of some reviews, how the service on board can be, I would like myself to decide wich person to tip more or less, depending the service he give me
I,m going with the triumph oct 2th 2004
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Ichellebereel

Default Re: tipping old style

I prefer old style because it seems more personal when giving I give. I tried sscard in advance but seemed like the service was very laxed. When I board the ship, I ask to waive my tips and give me envelopes. The majority of the time I tip higher than the set amount because of the excellent service. Now last year on the Conquest I decide to waive the cabin steward fees because he never took the few dishes out of the room, he just made the bed and that all. I've been on may Carnival cruiseship and this cabin steward was the worse.
Old July 25th, 2004, 12:19 PM
KN

this is our first cruise and was wondering about the tips also I thought it was a little crazy 10 a day even for kids I have 3 going with us.i don't mind tipping and all but come on thats a little steep to me Oct.10 conquest can't wait
Old July 25th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Passenger

my sister in law has 5 children, imagine 50s a day, that is 350s for only children,
i also think it is too much, mainly because they are all 10 years down, and they dont plan to eat in the dining room
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Admiral

We have always and will continue to tip in the old fashioned way. It is more personal and we almost always exceed the 'suggested' amount. The main reason we tip in this fashion is so that we can personally thank them for their time and service.
Jim

Old July 25th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Bunny

If we elect to tip "the old fashion way" and take our auto tips off, do they notify our cabin steward and waitstaff? Do they will know who did and didn't? If we keep the auto tips on, do we still tip, do they look for more on the last day? We prefer the one on one tipping and are very generous but curious how it works.

Thank you
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to FIREKILLER
Default Re: Re: tipping old style

Just back from the Triumph, 7/24, we took the auto tip off as soon as we boarded. You go to the Pursers desk to remove these. We tipped the "old fashion way". This is what we did. There were 5 of us: 2 adults & 3 kids, we tipped our cabin steward above the amount he would have gotten from auto tip, I believe it would have been $122.00 for the entire cruise. We tipped more based on excellent service, great attitude, and we had connecting cabins. His name is Martin from Grenada if anyone is sailing Triumph.

We tipped our dining room team for the nights we were only eating in the dining room, for us it was 5 nights. They were terrific, again great attitude, they always remembered what we liked to drink, our kids name and what they liked to start dinner with, fruit cocktail.

I don't know if they knew that we took the auto tip off, but if they did, they still treated us great and served us with a smile. Hope this helps.

Post Edited (07-26-04 00:39)

TRIUMPH 07/04
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Yeoman

We to have done both ways. On our last cruise on the Conquest, we did the automatic tips, and then tipped extra to our room stewardess's and a couple bar waitress's that went out of there way to make us happy.
I personally like the old way better. As Jim has stated, its just more personal, and a way to thank different ones of your choice for a more outstanding job well done . I also write Carnival and tell them about different employees that goes above and beyond there duty. Does it do any good ? Don't know ! But it makes me feel good inside.

Happy cruising;
David
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Admiral

$10 a day may *seem* like a lot, but remember, that's not for one person. It breaks down as follows:

stateroom service - $3.60 per day
dining room TEAM (both your waiters) service - $5.50 per day
alternative dining service and incentives for dinng staff - $.90 per day

Children are actually a little messier than adults (at least MINE is), and often require more service in terms of special requests, so tipping for kids, IMO, is critical.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I also prefer the "old way". I will always tip and usually very well, BUT - if you want to tell me what you think you deserve in advance, then that is all you are going to get - if you let me tip - you will get more.

Example: In restaurants, unless the service is unbelievably bad, I will ALWAYS tip 20%(I just view it as a cost of going out and not having to cook or clean). But if I come in and your restaurant has a policy that a party of 6+ will automatically be charged the 15%. Then that is all you are going to get. Most of my friends and family members feel the same way. If someone can give my party of 11 (family) great service, I would have given them more, but once again, they told me what they wanted and that is what I will give.