Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Beginner

Default art auctions

Do not, I repeat do not get suckered into buying art on the Carnival Glory, or I would imagine any Carnival Cruise. They say that you are buying at a discount over land prices, but they lie! I bought two paintings with supposed retails of $2500 plus each for $1350 each, only to find out that they were available at several outlets for the exact same price. Don't believe everything you hear, do not get caught up in the frenzy as I did!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:24 PM
pat brennan

Default Re: art auctions

most are absolute junk, dont wast cruise time at these auctions, its like watching paid comercials on tv I went and I had to leave - snoring to loud a complete waste of time.
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Admiral

This is subject to debate. If you like the art and are willing to pay for it, then it is a good deal to you. As the name implies, it is an auctiuon and sometimes people get carried away and pay more than they should or pay about retail for it and sometimes they pay much less. All cruiseships use Park West and even though they are reputable, it is and should always be 'buyer beware'. You have to buy nothingbut if you choose to do so it is up to you to choose wisely.
Jim

Old July 26th, 2004, 09:43 AM
First Mate

My father spends quite a bit of time at these art auctions I tell him not to waste his money on silly art. But he loves it, he loves the art. He has quite a bit of paintings from cruises. One he spent alot of money on, it was like a Mystery painting. So he was bidding on this picture he didn't even know what it was, and he ended up winning it, and when he got it. It was pretty silly, in my opinion. Just a bunch of painted tall buildings, in ugly colors. It wasn't one of the better ones, thats for sure. But hey we love it for the laugh of it. And he displays it along with the other paintings, being proud that it came from one of his cruises! :-)

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: art auctions

As Jim said, this is definitely a matter of opinion and there will always be debates about it. But personally I've purchased three pieces at different auctions, and am still very pleased with both their value and their quality. I was a skeptic for sure, and still am, I suppose, since I sometimes check to see how much I could buy the pieces for now. The price (even on eBay and at outlets) is about double (or more) what I paid on the ship. Just be careful and be wise - if you don't like it, don't go; if you find it fun and like collecting, go and enjoy!

Old July 26th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife took our first cruise earlier this summer not even knowing that the ship we were sailing on was having a auction. Once on board we saw the art and notices about the dates and times and we had no intention of attending. But we were at lunch and we were seated with a couple that had been invited by Park West to attend. So, we were talking to them and they told us that it was at least worth a look see....and they are held while the ship is at sea. So we decided to take a peek. And we got hooked. We loved them. We won several bids on everything from sports memorabila to Thomas Kinkade.
We didn't think that we had wasted our time and we learned alot about art.

As I tell friends there was a passenger that won a bid on a Renior painting that went for $395.000, so we are not talking about Elvis paintings on Black Velvet.
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:39 AM
jamiegunter

We have purchased alot of art from them at very good prices. We collect Thomas Kinkade and Gary Benfield. They sell those back were we live for alot higher than what we payed. The biggest exspence we have had is getting them framed, sometmes that costs more than the art. You can go to the auctions just to learn about art, you dont have to bid on anything. We have learned alot at the auctions.
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:34 AM
sls

Isn't framing a ripoff. We have some art work that my husband bought in Spain. The sizes must be in the metric system. I wanted to update the frames that got banged around through our many military moves but just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on each painting when I can use that money on a cruise.

sls