Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default Late dinner sitting Question?

Hi, we picked a late night sitting for dinner at 8:30pm is this an ok time? We also picked a small table is this ok? My fiance wanted this I felt a large one would have been more fun maybe. 1st time cruisers here. Ro
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:43 AM
NancyB

Default Re: Late dinner sitting Question?

We went on the Elation in November and the late seating was wonderful. We could go on our trips and come back, take a nap, watch a movie, get a snack and then have a wonderful elegant meal. After the meal go the the late shows, wonderful. I am HOOKED. Late seating is what we have this time also. Have fun
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Admiral

I didn't think I'd like late sitting, until I discovered it afforded me more sun and pool time, and a chance to sample pizza, ice cream and drinks late into the afternoon!
If you are going on your honeymoon, a private table is nice and romantic, but for first timers, a group table might be more fun, so you can share your 1st cruise experience (and compare) with others'. Have fun!

donna

Old July 25th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Passenger

We enjoyed the late seating time. Like posted before...gave you MORE time to do other things and NOT be rushed....then we went straight from dinner to the late show and some dancing! If we had the early seating...we never would have made it to the dancing....we would have been.....ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Ha ha!

We also enjoyed a table for four. Got to know the other couple pretty well. Had very little in common with them, but still had nice conversation. I would feel too isolated if we were at a table by ourselves. But then, I am a social butterfly! Tee hee
Old July 25th, 2004, 03:35 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

Our first cruise we did late seating. It did give us more time in port, but miss the late night food Gala's because we were not hungry. We have done the early as well. We personally liked it better because we went up on deck late and mingled with all the others and had coffee and a nice snack.
Happy cruising!
TC

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old July 25th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Passenger

There are pros and cons to late seating. The pros are that you can spend more time at the pools or in port, but on our cruise a lot of the fun games were scheduled while we were eating dinner. Another pro is that you know you will be hungry by the time you sit down, but you are not hungry for the awesome buffets they have at night. Well, the next time we cruise, we will still most likely choose the late seating. We also enjoyed sitting with other couples. We really got to know some of them.
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Passenger

Yes, true about not being hungry for the late buffets. But SOOOooo what?! Who needs to be eating that much stuff (sugar, white flour, preservatives) that late at night anyway???? It isn't good for you. Chances are whether you ate at early seating or late seating.....you had dessert already. So, you REALLY don't need to be loading up on that stuff!

We always just go and take pictures for those back home who have never seen such creations as the midnight buffet.
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Paralegal

My boyfriend and I did late dinner seating last August on the Sensation. We really enjoyed it. Especially on port days. You don't feel like you have, to rush to make dinner, and you still make all of the same shows that were earlier. I think late dinner seating is the only way to go.
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

We had late seating last month on our first cruise. I thought we'd hate it and worried about not being hungry for the late night buffet. We had a table for 10 and laughed so much--our tablemates made it a fantastic experience! We liked the leisurely pace, often gabbing until 10:30 pm and leaving just in time to catch the late show. After the show we'd check out the midnight buffet but rarely found anything more than a slice of dessert worth eating. The buffets weren't a "don't miss" event so we never felt like we missed out on anything by being full from a late dinner.

Enjoy!
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Late dinner sitting Question?

Thanks Nancy! Ro
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Hey there Donna! Does a small table mean only two people? If that is the case I would love that. I thought maybe it was one other couple which I didn't like. I said Large table over seating with another couple. A table for two would suit us both fine.
Do they assign those? Ro
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Go Go you and my Kenny think exactly the same. He said he would have fell asleep and probably missed to much if we went to the early sitting. Ro
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Smokey I heard the buffet time is awesome but also thought like you said we won't be hungry after eating a late dinner. I thought what the heck eat half the dinner and save room for something at the buffet.

Is the buffet every night? We are only taking a four nighter our first time out to see if like it. What kind of items do they serve at the buffet? RO
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Thanks Top Cat! Ro
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Late dinner sitting Question?

Thanks JK for your input on late night dining. I am finding this site to be awesome with the tons of experience you past cruisers are passing on to first timers like Kenny and I. I hope on Nov 18 Inspiration cruise we get to mingle with good people like you. RO
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Thanks Paralegal for the go ahead vote on the late dining. Ro
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:27 PM
fabrizzi

Ro, Ro, Ro

No, No, No.
Don't deprive yourself of one of the great pleasures of being on a floating city with 2,500 strangers. We made sure that at breakfast and lunch we always sat with different people. At dinner we were 5 couples all from different backgrounds all with interesting stories. We met so many interesting people (from a 17 yr old promising singer in the karaoke lounge to the 76 yr. old grandmother chaparoning her grandaughter)

You and your husband can always go out to a restaurant at home and dine alone. Don't do it on a cruise ship. You'll miss out on a lot.

Late dinner is always our choice. Keeps us away from the late nite buffets, gives us more time returning from excursions, more time at the pool, time to relaxe before dinner. But one other thing we've experienced is the wait staff not being in such a hurry to hurd us out a.s.a.p. for the next seating to come in. We've many a time sat and relaxed sipping a cognac with our table mates.
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your on a cruise ship......who needs to be hungry to enjoy the late night galas?! INDULGE!
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Passenger

There was a buffet every night. Most of the time it was pretty typical cruise food, but one night they had a huge Gala Buffet with all this fancy food. On another night, they made crepes. I never ate at any of the nighttime buffets, but I always went to look because it was on my way to go outside
Old July 26th, 2004, 05:07 PM
mmotc

We love late seating as well, give us a chance to wind down, take a nap, take a shower, etc. after a long day at a shore excursion. We also LOVE to have a table for 2 for dinner. During breakfast and lunch we've generally been seated with other people, so the nice quiet dinner with just the two of us was always welcomed. Often times we've become friendly with the people sitting at other tables around us and talk with them off and on, but we weren't "stuck" with them for the entire cruise.