Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Carnival Legend 7/26 delayed

I know the answer!! Carnival should of charged the people $50 each for giving them an "extra" day of vacation, all their meals and a side trip to Bermuda. Then they could of given that $50 to the passengers coming on who "lost" a day of vacation. Everyone would of been happy then right?????????????
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Carnival Legend 7/26 delayed

Hi
We were just on this cruise and had a good time not great but good. There was gentleman who suffered some type of heart problem on the return trip and they needed to get him immedieate help. The ship did not stop in Bermuda but only had a tender come out to pick him up. The extra 8 hrs was not what it was all cracked up to be lots of just hanging out and stupid activitys on board. When thinking of how some of your vacations were delayed by 7 and a half hours should take into consideration the folks who were also late getting in and missing flights and rides home. By the way the weather down was horrible the shipped felt like it was gonna list to one side
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Why would anyone think that the cruise lines owes them anything because of a medical emergency. But this is typical of what our society has become.

What was I thinking...I see it all the time. People on this website think that they should be compensated for everything. I actually saw a post from a woman that complained and thought that she should be compensated because the ship rocked to much.

Let me ask any of the cruisers that received the $20. Would you still be complaining if you had taken that $20 and used it to play BINGO and won $1500 or a free cruise. Or put it into a slot machine and won thousands.
Old July 27th, 2004, 12:56 PM
I Cruise

I hope that man is dong well. Just be glad you are going on a cruise. What do you want, your cruise paid for? Shame on you to complain!
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have a question. How did everyone learn that the ship was going to be delayed?

After I originally read the comments on this thread I called my TA friend. She asked me to ask these questions. Was the cruise scheduled to be a 7 day cruise? Depart on Sunday and return on Saturday? An the ship is scheduled to dock at around 9:00-30?
If you answered yes to these three questions, why is it ok to arrive back into port at 9:00 a.m. and probably disembarked by 11:30 and not get a full day. And she asked me how many people complain about this?

Additionally, an earlier poster stated: "by the way the weather down was horrible the shipped felt like it was gonna list to one side". As I said in my first post....I have actually read posts where individauls think that they should have been compensated for the fact that the ship rocked and rolled. Weather, that is in the "Act of God" category. Maybe they could get him to compensate them!
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:03 PM
brand new girl

i agree..no one knew that it was going to happen. to complain about a few hours lost and a wasted vacation day when a man's life is in jeapordy is so selfish. think about the days of vacation he lost because he almost died.

carnival legend :: 7/18
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd like to know what people mean EXACTLY by 'making good' . How much money do you expect when something like this happens? Some of these comments are absolutely shameful. I'd also like to know what contingency plans Carnival could put in plcae for something like this happening? I just don't understand that kind of remark...just like the time the Conquest couldn't dock due to another emergency. I'm sure glad I don't work in the guest relations department at Carnival I'd be living on valium!!!!!!!
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was on the cruise to when we went to Bermuda last week and well right now those who were complainng about leaving late wont read this because they are on the ship but when they come back they will read it but god forbid that the man who had the heart attack did buy cruise insruance because rumors said just for the coast guard pick up from the ship is like $13,000. So I hope he did. Those passengers on the ship should not even get $20. Lets see what they say if something happens to them. Besides I heard there cruise wont make hugh changes. The will arrive in Puerto Rico like at 6pm and leave like at 12am and wont leave St Thomas until like 8.30pm so it not bad.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:25 PM
Shan

Lenin,

YOU should be so "Blessed'" to have your health...next time you see a child in a "wheelchair", or someone who is blind think about just HOW LUCKY YOU ARE!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:42 AM
Lenin Jersey

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival Legend 7/26 delayed

You don't "get" my complaint, and obvisously never will.

The cruise was great. Carnival did a great job. And I have no complaints. And I'm also glad that the man who had the health problem on the previous cruise seems to be doing OK.

As for Carnival's responsibility to make good for the lost first day-----I still think they should have done something more than what they did.

Nothing further to say on this subject-----THE END.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival Legend 7/26 delayed

We heard from the Captain that the man is doing well. He was flown to NY for surgery. Carnival still needs to be more responsive to situations where there is a delay of this nature. The chaos and utter confusion on the ship after boarding was unbelievable. The lido deck was jammed with 2000 people all wanting to eat dinner at 10:30pm You'd think they would be smart enough to open the main dining room. Then the next day the same thing happens. Right after the muster drill at 9:30 am 2000 people went up to Lido to eat breakfast (main dining room is closed) So for two days we all stood in lines. This was not a great beginning to our vacation. We had a right to be pissed. No one would argue that the delay was necessary to save the man's life. It was just that Carnival needed to be better prepared to handle it and willing to do what it takes to keep the customers happy. $20 pp to make up for poor planning, hours waiting, standing in lines, no lunch, poor dinner and a missed port. Tortola should have been extended in my opinion to make up for the lost daytime in San Juan. On a positive note we had terrific weather and very calm seas. The ship was beautiful and most people seemed to have a good time. It is sad that it had to be overshadowed by the stressful beginning of the cruise.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:39 PM
NJmatt

I really can't believe how some people will whine and all I can say to Lenin Jersey...stay the heck home next time and don't go on a cruise and if you do...make sure that you read the Contract of Passage or something else that is worded that way to the back of your tickets.

Your delay in leaving New York was a piece of cake. We were on the June 11th cruise to the Caribbean on the Queen Mary 2 and our cruise was far from perfection but made the best of it in light of what took place on the return back to New York City. We had our share of events especially when one passenger did not want to stay with this world no more and decided to "jump ship" and end his life after we had departed St Thomas. The ship turned around and went back to look for the poor soul and we did so until about 2am in the morning when the Coast Guard released QM2 to continue back to New York which by this time put the ship behind schedule.

The second delay we had was when we had a medical emergency and the captain made an announcement that the ship had to turn around and head back towards Puerto Rico so that the ship could get within 160 miles of Puerto Rico so that that passenger could have been airlifted off and flown to Puerto Rico who had had a heart attack and who survied the ordeal,this was learned from the Captain after he made an announcment while arriving back in New Yiork City,

QM2 was due to dock at the pier at 7am but did not do so until about almost noon time,sure there were delays with air.sea passengers but Cunard rose to the occasion and did everything humanly possible to accommodate everyone. The passengers all took this in stride...never once did I hear any grumblings and I for one would not hesitate to sail Cunard again.

The next time you fly somewhere and you are delayed flying into Newark Airport that can get real ugly with delayed flights on departures or arrivals think back to your delay on leaving on your cruise.

I have no Sympathy for you at all.
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival Legend 7/26 delayed

When you were waiting for the Legend to dock on the 18th, did Carnival tell you thta they were running late and did they say how late. Did they offer any meals while you were on the dock? Did they give you the option to drop off your carry on luggage and take a cab into the city for 1/2 a day? What time did you finally board?

Did Carnival call you a day befor eto let you know there was a delay or even the morning of. They knew there was going to be a delay and they shoudl have contacted everyone. A simple email is the minimum they should have done.

I was on the cruise that the medical emergency happened. Just curious what they were saying all day Monday when you arrived at the dock. Hopefully they were honest and said expect the ship around 6:00/7:00 that evening.

thanks,

Paul
Old August 4th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival Legend 7/26 delayed

I got a phone call about 1:30 pm on Sunday (departure was Monday) The message said that boarding wouldn't begin until 9:30 pm since the ship would be in at 6:00pm. I called Monday morning and was told to get to the pier around 8pm and that I would receive a $20 pp credit on the shipboard account. At that time I was ok with it but after standing in lines and waiting around all night, waiting in line for dinner in a crowded buffet line then finding no seats available I started to get annoyed. I heard that a few people were not contacted and told about the delay so they basically sat there all day. I don't think they got any extra compensation. I wonder about all the people that missed flights due to the late arrival of the ship on Monday. Is Carnival responsible or does the contract get them out of that? Yes I do think something more should be offered, as a goodwill gesture. I know they don't 'have' to but it would be nice of them. If they would have given out free drinks or a shore excursion to everyone for their inconvenience I bet everyone would have much more understanding of losing a day of their vacation.
Old August 4th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am glad that the man who had the heart attack on the Legend 18-26 is doing well. I felt so bad for him. We were on the Bacardi Tour together with him and his wife and some other people. Thanks for letting us know he is doing good.
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Kenney

Actually the ship passed the Statue of Liberty around 2:30 am Tuesday 07/27/2004. Did the people who were on the cruise before this one pay for an additional day? Were they fed? If someone paid $4,000.00 for an 8 day cruise then cruised for 7 days. Hum ripped off. Also the ship arrived late in San Juan. Excursions were cancelled! NCL is the greatest. Royal is the greatest. Celebrity is good. Good bye Carnival. $20.00 was an insult. It is my duty to tell my cruusing friends what not to cruise on!
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Kenney

Actually take the $20.00 pp and add a few more twenties. This is NYC!
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Passenger

I've noticed a running theme on these boards and it's rather disturbing. Why is it some, (definitely not all) cruisers are always looking to be compensated for every single thing that happens on a cruise? The ship was late...pay me, there was a medical emergency...pay me, sailed around a hurricane, missed a port...pay me, the staff was rude..pay me! If they do manage to be compensated it never seems to be enough. When your flight is delayed on a land vacation do you tell the airline, I'm missing a day of my vacation...pay me? I think not. It just seems that when it comes to cruising some people just lose all common sense.
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:07 PM
AshleyP

The "goodwill gesture" that Carnival offered you was $20 pp credit. If you weren't satisfied with your cruise, you should have taken advantage of Carnival's offer to fly you home at the first port with a refund for the rest of the cruise.

On the last cruise we took, there were actually people demanding to be helicoptered off the ship because we couldn't dock in Grand Cayman due to bad weather!! They did not even stop to think about the people who would be literally risking their lives to run the tenders should we just go on and stop. I wonder when so many adults in our world became so egocentric that they stopped considering other people.

In all aspects of life, things happen and you go on. There are no guarantees in life. It is unreasonable to expect "someone" to be held accountable for every little thing that happens to you.
Old August 27th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Passenger

Maybe the cruise line should not have given $20pp because although most of us agree that it was a goodwill gesture that wasn't a necessary thing for them to do, it LOOKED to some a cheap amount to give. A good explanation of the circumstances is certainly what I would have expected, but no more. I know you must be really upset from this all, but I would just let it go. There are lots of people who had the full 7 days of a cruise and come back saying they didn't have a good cruise. You admit it was a lot of fun and you had a good rest of the cruise. That is what is really important.
Old August 27th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cruiseaddict

CZodda-

OMG you have to see cruise ships every day from where you work? I live in FL, but I could not deal with seeing them every day from work and not being on them!!! ! However, seeing the ships would probably send me into a Zen-like trance of happiness remembering my past cruises!

Inspiration 96
Fascination 98
Sensation 99
Sensation 99
Paradise 00
Paradise 01
Sensation 01
Imagination 4/02
NCL Majesty 11/02
Paradise 12/02
NCL Majesty 1/03
Paradise 4/03
Fascination 7/03
Legend 12/03
Imagination 1/04
Paradise 4/04
HAL Zuiderdam 9/04

Old August 27th, 2004, 08:46 AM
First Mate

jett 546

I have some questions:

First of all, I agree that the main dining room should have been open at night, but maybe there are some logistical issue there, still, Carnival should have worked around that to avoid 2,000 people standing in line. But why wasn't the main dining room open for breakfast the next day? Was it just due to the fact that it was 9:30? Couldn't people eat at the buffet earlier than that or go to the main dining room?

cruiseaddict....totally with you, I would be fired!!

All, I have traveled extensively and delays and cancellations are part of it. The $20 was a good will gesture, more than you would get from an airline. If I were Leanardo DiCaprio, and "King of the World", actually, if I was the CD on the ship and sailing that left late, I might have planned a special thank you party for those passengers. Give away some cheap rum punch and say thank you and we are sorry. Might have soothed some frayed nerves, but in the end, many people would not have been satifisfied because they never would be satisfied. I still think Carnival is the best and they have accomadated our party on several occasions due to special circumstances.

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old August 27th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Passenger

Actually I received a response from Bob Dickinson (CEO of Carnival) pertaining to these issues. He did make an effort to find out what happened from the people in charge. He explained that the reason the dining room was closed was so that they could use more personnel to aid in embarkation of the passengers. He claims the lines were better than a normal embarkation. I totally disagree. I have cruised a few other times and this was horrendous. The dining room was closed the following morning because the drill started at 9:30 am. They didn't realize that a lot of people didn't eat yet and when they saw the situation in the buffet they supposedly opened the DR early for lunch and allowed people to order breakfast if they wanted to. There was never any announcement of this in the Lido restaurant. I was there and would have heard it. I guess if you happened by the dining room you would know it was open. He claims that they did a really nice thing by opening the restaurants early (5 pm) when the ship docked in San Juan so that people could get off right away to make the most of the port time. That was helpful to some but it didn't do anything for us. I went to dinner at 6 hoping to get out early (my seating normally was 8:15) and didn't get out of there until after 8. The dining room was chaotic since it was open seating and it took the longest time to be served so we just up and left without dessert so we could make some stores by 9pm. All in all the cruise was fun and ship very nice but I think Carnival needs to be better prepared for these types of delays so that the passengers are not overly inconvenienced.
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Admiral

You don;t think that $20 pp was more than a "gesture" and not a very good one? Lets see, the ship holds 2.124 double occupancy and it rarly sails that but usually about 2,400 due to those cabins that have more than 2 people in them. That times $20 equals $48,000 alone. Combine that with the fact they were unable to open the casino and bars the loss to the cruiseline was probably in the area of $60,000 plus. Little bit more than a gesture. You also received a reply from the President of the Corporation, something that very few companies bother to do when someone sends them a complaint. The cruiseline did want this medical emergency, it just happened. They seems to do everything possible to help the oncoming passengers including having their staff work even more hours and disruping their normal schedules. Still, you were not satisfied. Sorry your vacation and life were so inconvienced.
Jim

Old August 27th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Lenin Jersey

A few weeks ago, I wrote THE END. But I must ammend that.

If an airline is late, then generally they have no obigation other than eventually getting you there. With an airline, you're paying for TRANSPORTATION. Thats it. As long as they get you there, they have fulfilled their obligation. (Actually, a couple of years ago, I flew on an airline that was running late which would have caused me to miss a connection--- and they put me on another, higher priced airline without my even asking so I wouldn't miss my connection).

However a cruise is not just transportation. Its a vacation. If I book a hotel for 8 days, I expect to get 8 days----not 7 days. They may look at it like busines, but so do I. I paid for something that I did not get. If it cost them extra money because of lost revenue in the casinos, etc----oh well.....thats the cost of doing business. If there is an emergency, then of course they can't bring back that lost day. But I don't want to pay for that lost day. Its their problem, not mine.

My vacation was great. I loved the cruise. But the fact remains that I paid for an 8 day cruise and got a 7 day cruise.

Bet you wouldn't like it if you went to work for 8 days and your employer only paid you for 7.
Old August 27th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Lenin Jersey

A few weeks ago, I wrote THE END. But I must ammend that.

If an airline is late, then generally they have no obigation other than eventually getting you there. With an airline, you're paying for TRANSPORTATION. Thats it. As long as they get you there, they have fulfilled their obligation. (Actually, a couple of years ago, I flew on an airline that was running late which would have caused me to miss a connection--- and they put me on another, higher priced airline without my even asking so I wouldn't miss my connection).

However a cruise is not just transportation. Its a vacation. If I book a hotel for 8 days, I expect to get 8 days----not 7 days. They may look at it like busines, but so do I. I paid for something that I did not get. If it cost them extra money because of lost revenue in the casinos, etc----oh well.....thats the cost of doing business. If there is an emergency, then of course they can't bring back that lost day. But I don't want to pay for that lost day. Its their problem, not mine.

My vacation was great. I loved the cruise. But the fact remains that I paid for an 8 day cruise and got a 7 day cruise.

Bet you wouldn't like it if you went to work for 8 days and your employer only paid you for 7.
Old August 27th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Yeoman

If you check into a hotel at 12:00 midnight, and check out at 6:00 am, you are paying for a full day. They are not going to credit you for 18 hours because you didn't use that time. If your flight is late coming in, and causes you to check into the hotel hours late, yet you still have to pay for a full day, is the airline going to compensate you...NO!!! You are paying for a 24 hour period no matter what time you get there. On another note...Try writing a letter to Carnival and be nice about it and they might just send you a certficate for a discount on your next cruise. That is what happened to me and I didn't even ask for anyting. They wanted to know how my cruise was. I said it was great but the ship was dirty, old and the room was uncomfortable and always felt dirty. But I also said that I had a wonderful time on my cruise and would be taking another soon. Then they sent me a certificated which saved me a lot of money. I got a extended balcony on deck 5 for $810 pp on a 7 day mexican riviera cruise which should have been $1009 pp. Not a bad deal.

Carnival Liberty
Old August 27th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Passenger

I read on another board that Carnival reimbursed its passengers $150 pp (shipboard credit) for being inconvenienced. The Legend went to Bermuda instead of the Caribbean itinerary it usually does. There were mechanical difficulties. A lot of people were very upset as usual when there is a change of itinerary but I think $150 pp is a lot better than the $20 pp we got for our delay and inconvenience. Maybe Carnival has realized that they need to treat their customers better. Also I think it does help when the unhappy customers write letters detailing their experience and why they were unhappy..
Old August 27th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Lenin Jersey

In the case of the $150pp credit, that was a recent trip where they had to detour to Bermuda becuase of mechanical problems with the ship. So in that case, it was the fault of Carnival. They didn't do it on purpose, but it WAS their fault. And $150 pp is reall not alot in Bermuda, because while in port, almost all the entertainment on board is shutdown, so you have no choice but to pay for entertaiment on land which costs $$ (unless you are content to sit in your cabin and watch TV).

As far as checking into a hotel at midnight and checking out at 6AM, I don't equate that to the situation on the cruise. You are generally doing that by your OWN choice----not by the hotel's choice. And again, when you stay in a hotel, you are paying for a place to sleep for the night. You are not paying for a day of entertainment and activities. Carnival gave us a place to sleep for that first night----but thats about all they gave us. And thats a pretty stiff price to pay for a single nights lodging.
Old August 27th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Yeoman

I agree with you and I'm not trying to diminish what happened to you. Like I said, if you write a letter, they might try to make it better. Any business is going to try to do as little as they can, but you might be able to get more by writing a letter of your concerns. I took a 7 day cruise and averaged the price to be $1500 and divided that by 7 days and then by 24 hours. It came out to something like $72 so maybe that is what they should have given you. Again, I sympathize with you, I just think people should try to make the best out of a bad situation.

Carnival Liberty