Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:08 PM
browezilla

Default PBS show about Carnival

I found a writeup of the show on the pbs site, It's a decent, but brief description of the show. Oh, that Carnival 'representative/staffer' ...apparently he is the CEO of Carnival! He was trying out different jobs during the week to see firsthand how things go. http://www.pbs.org/opb/backtothefloor/carnival/.

They talk about a variety of topics, including the $1.50/day (yeah, $45/month) salary that the service staff receive (e.g .waitors, stewards, etc.)
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Barry S.

Default Re: PBS show about Carnival

show airs friday's 10pm but haven't seen when the Carnival will repeat.
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Beginner

Did a search on Yahoo TV. Back to the Floor (Carnival) repeats here in Ohio on July 31 at 6:30 am on PBS. Only a 30 minute program.
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Really interesting article. I hope this gets posted on the tip board for the people who don't tip AT ALL.....

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Shipbound

The pay and the long hours most of the crew works is the reason most of the cruise lines registered their ships in other countries- to get away from the labor laws , taxes.and OSHA( providing employees with a safe work environment-secondhand smoke). If the cruise ships were registered in the United States they would not get away with this stuff.

Gary.
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Whiteknight

That's true and that's why tips are important. As far as safe working conditions go, I think the cruiselines provide that pretty well. So we do our part and they do their part and in return we get to enjoy good cuisine along with everything else without having to pay an arm and a leg for it. As long as it works, don't rock the boat.
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:23 AM
First Mate

I can't seem to find it anywhere in our cable listings. What is the name of the Show?

thanks
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:48 AM
browezilla

It was breaking to see how she felt when someone stiffed her. Not just the loss of money, but the lack of appreciation.

NCL now has the Spirit of Aloha which is registered in the US. It will be interesting to see how service, etc. is on that ship. So far, the reports have been less than favorable.
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:02 AM
First Mate

Do what???
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:29 PM
sls

Name of the show is "Back to the Floor" CEO's go do menial work at their business. Saw one with a CEO of a hotel chain (can't remember which one) and he was cleaning rooms and making beds. The head housekeeper flunked him for missing spots. He also did room service, front desk and bell hop suties.

The Carnival segment is several years old according to Jim Bragg so who knows when it will repeat again. http://www.pbs.org/opb/backtothefloor/carnival/.

sls
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:51 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

Wonder how I could be assured that any tip I pay over and beyond goes to the intended party? I saw a note on here somewhere where someone gave a big tip and then watched as the steward turned it in?

TC

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:42 AM
Cruisingrandma

They work for room and board also. So they do depend on the tips for the money to send home for there families. So please people don't be afraid to tip these hard workers. I work for tips also at a restaurant. It jsut puzzles me why people don't think they need to tip the correct amount. We work for the tips. On a cruise ship they are all working so very hard to make our vacations a great success. they deserve the best tip we can possibly give them. Happy cruising and give great tips......