Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2004, 03:42 PM
elen

Default More details on Legend tipping...? !

I've read a little bit about Carnival Legend's recent misfortunes, including the fact that it tipped quite strongly to one side?? Has this happened to anyone else on any other ship? Was it out of the ordinary to happen? Why, exactly, did it happen and what was it like? Scary, I would think. I was thinking about going on the Legend, but now...... I've never heard of this happening.
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: More details on Legend tipping...? !

Dont freak out. I was on that cruise. It happens sometimes, besides we hit a cold front that was the size of the eastern seaboard. It was only a few seconds and no one got hurt. The ship is beautiful. Some people dont like it because with all the wood panels it looks like titanic but its good it looks like it you can make believe you are on luxury liner. I love that ship 2x on her already. If she someday crosses the canal. I will be on that cruise. Anyway also she will be only 2 years old this september plus you get a 8 day cruise for almost the price of a 7.
Old July 30th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Do you have visions of the Posiedon Adventure? Just remember the hull is thinest by the propellers and to follow Gene Hackman, not the ship's doctor.

I have been on Legend and she is a wonderful ship and quite stable.
Any number of things may have happened . A few years back, Jubilee experienced a problem when a stabilizer broke . It caused the ship to pitch abruptly . Never in danger however.
While on Dreamward(Now Norwegian Dream) we crossed a very defined frontal system at sea. We went from calm waters to 25 foot seas in a matter of a minute , and we approached them at an angle to boot. The ship pitched so much that it threww people to the ground , and bounced a few off hallway walls. We were never in danger, but some folks were uncomfortable.
You are at sea afterall and nothing guarantees a "bath tub " ride. I wouldn't let this latest report keep you from sailing a fine ship.
Old July 30th, 2004, 04:26 PM
First Mate

"The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed..." Apologies to the castaways on Gilligan's Island.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Passenger

The tilting of the ship lasted for less than a minute. I was outside my cabin in the hallway so I did not even notice it as much as those in other areas. The storm was pretty rough. Don't let that bother you. It was equivalent to flying and hitting a little turbulance and dropping in the air for less than a minute. That has happened plenty. That is why I cruise now and don't fly.

The Legend is definately a beautiful ship and does in a weird way resemble the Titanic. I think it is the Mahogany colored trim that is decorated throughout the ship. Don't let that hold you back. I had a great time and really enjoyed this cruise. If you have any doubts, forget it! Just book it and get ready for fun! Hopefully, Brett Alans will not be the cruise director when you set sail. He was very lame. The only time you saw him was on TV or at a show. I saw the Captain on deck more than I saw this guy. I didn't even bother to buy the video. The entertainment could have been better.