Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2004, 09:45 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to grandmaa
Default Re: Passengers on Miracle were told to Abandon Ship 7/31/04

Something is very fishy here. My family was on this cruise and everything posted about what happened is TRUE! Believe it or not, Cruise Critic.com had two threads regarding this situation and they were both DELETED. Talk about censorship!!!!!!!! Congratulations CruiseMates.com for allowing freedom of speech to flourish.
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:13 PM
jjjjj

Listen I was on the ship on the 6th floor.

It WAS the captain of the ship talking when the abandon ship announcement was made.

After that there were 3 more announcements. 1 from a lady and 2 from the captain.

The 2 from the captation were very scary he sounded like he was held hostage his voice was EXTREMELY scared sounding.

Everyone that left there room all thought the same about the announcement.

OK IT WAS NOT TEENAGERS PULLING A PRANK IT WAS THE CAPTAIN WHO SAID ABANDON SHIP.

Shortly after the ship was boarded by the coast gaurd and once we got into the Hudson River it was boarded by 2 more men in suits all while the ship was still moving.

I watched this happen right in front of me.

My feelings the caption was drunk I SAW HIM AT THE BAR THAT NIGHT

Everyone thought he was being held hostage because I could never sound like he did unless some one was trying to kill me. Everyone thought that.

Now dont forget most of the people on this ship were from NYC or around there ( I live 10-15min form NYC ) what do you think were going through our minds??

Anyone who does not live around NYC and thinks it was funny or they would have not been scared your a very very ignorant fool.

I know the people that read this that are from NYC or very close to understand what I am talking about.
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:18 PM
caro

You know...I posted on cruise critic today and I KNEW I wasn't going crazy- those posts threads were deleted! I am leaving in less than 2 weeks. I have to say I am a bit concerned about the apparent lack of security- how could teens or anyone not working for carnival, get access to the intercom system to post such a message?????!!!!!!! I am glad the people behind this hoax are being punished, but I am wondering if anyone is going to ask Carnival how it happened in the first place?
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:21 PM
jjjjj

By the way the captain had a very very heavy accent and would be almost impossible for a young person to sound like his voice.

People who were on the ship and heard the abandon ship there is no way you can tell me that voice was different from the other 2 that he made after.

It was the captain.

Also like other have said the captain said for the crew to abandon.
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:37 PM
jjjjj

Listen they wouldnt be deleting posts if there was not more to this story
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:44 PM
aaaaa

First of all how stupid can you really be to say that it was teenagers. teenagers dont sound like they are 60 years old with a very strong accent..The captain said that it was kids who got into the dining room and who got to the microphone. The dining room is locked after dinner. The captain just used that as an excuse because i believe he was drunk...I knew as soon as i heard that threw the intercom that that was the captain. And a lot of people whom i know felt the same way. You have to understand to get woken up at 4am by the captain saying "This is your captain speaking all crew members abandon the ship" that is not something you take lightly i dont care if it was a joke or not.. ANd then to hear a lady come on a couple minutes later appologizing and saying that nothing is wrong with the ship yet...then having the captain come on again with the same vioce as the same person who came on before telling the crew to abandon the ship telling you that :"his is your captain speaking please go back to sleep it was a joke"...then he came back saying again in a very nervous vioce " i appologize for the first announcement it was teenagers they got the microphone" it was not believeable at all...to be honest with you when i looked out my balcony after that i say lights on all the life boats i definetly thought that we were all dieing .. you could not call anywhere not the front desk or room service or anything no one in the crew would answer...they were all thinking they were leaving the ship.. How could you dare come back on and tell people it was just a joke go back to bed...this ship took off of nyc where more then half of the people where from that area, like me especially after 9-11 now everyone is very very touchy about things like this

i believe 100 percent this was the captain...now a days if it was a joke or not you cant take these things lightly especially after 9-11 this isnt something that you can jsut appologize for...that one incident really killed our trip...and everytime i got on cruises (They wont be carnival) i will always think about this incident..this made me think...if this guy is driving this ship with us in his hands for 7 days and he makes taht startling announcement then what kind of man was driving us in the middle of the ocean that is not something you do and it wasnt professional at all.. to be honest with you i almost called me parents that night because i honestly thought i wasnt coming home...

and for you to be that sick saying that its funny then you have problems because you obviously dont have respect for the people including myselfs who really thought that somethign was wrong...you really are nieve
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:45 PM
another cruise fan

I just did a google news search on this and nothing came up. I'm just a bit skeptical of this, shouldn't this type of event be on the news or written about by a journalist? If it did happen, that is very unfortunate, but I'd like to hear from a reputable, credible news source also.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:28 AM
First Mate

Since apparently nothing DID happen, I wouldn't expect this to be a huge news story. And I suspect Carnival's PR dept. is pretty adept at keeping such things as quiet as possible.

The eye (or would it be ear?) witnesses that were on the ship and have posted here are probably as close as you're going to get to a news report.

This many people post their experience during this, I'm not questioning "if" it happened. It would be interesting to find out exactly what did happen, though.

Anyone know what the odds are that we'll ever find out?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:59 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Passengers on Miracle were told to Abandon Ship 7/31

In reply to your message, this DID happen and it was reported on the 6 o"clock news on NBC on Saturday evening 7/31anfd had interviews with passengers. I have been told that ABC also carried the story, however, I did not see it. Somehow, someone has squelched the story. There were two threads on Cruise Critic.com, one of which was four pages long, which have magically disappeared. Cruise Mates.com fortunately does not censor and allows people the freedom to voice their opinions and tell their stories. I had family on the cruise with young children and believe me this was a frightening experience they will never forget. People who are joking about what happened should see a good psychiatrist. They need to have their heads examined.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Has anyone thought that perhaps it was an officer's teenage children that got access to the PA system? They take their families on board and they would have more access to places than regular passengers. If you are 'woken up' at 4am you can't really know for sure who it was on the microphone.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:35 AM
First Mate

The threads about this incident keep getting 'pulled' from the cruisecritic.com message board. I was surfing on that site, and read a thread wanting to know why the threads about this keep getting 'pulled' and when I refreshed, POOF, the thread was gone.. What is going on here?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:04 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete
Default Cruise Critic Pulling Posts

I believe it's been pulled three times now to date.

Has anyone been able to find a link or a newsarticle on this story yet? It's as if big brother is squshing this story EVERYWHERE (but here).
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:28 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Cruise Critic Pulling Posts

Check out **********folks. He just posted a report of the incident. Let's see if they can get him to pull that.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:41 AM
ginamarie

Matt- to answer your question, just because you are in international waters does not mean that there is no US jurisdiction. Do you think if a US citizen was murdered on international waters, there'd also be no jurisdiction? The truth is, any time a US citizen or US property is harmed at sea there can be US jurisdiction (in the absence of an executed choice of jurisdiction clause).

As for the "crime", I was, by no means, trying to say that a violent crime had been committed, or that the perpitrator should deserve prison time. However, it's clear that whoever did this was disturbing the peace of the people on board, and that they deliberately caused people emotional and mental anguish.

If you'll read my original comment, I did blame part of this on Carnival, and said that while I had an excellent time on board the Miracle, I was concerned about the security on the ship. Of course, someone has stated that it may have been the Captain who made the original announcement. I have no idea if that's true or not, but if it was, the Captain could be in MUCH greater trouble.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:28 AM
First Mate

************* has it listed as a "hoax".

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:29 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

The "abandon ship" command was the hoax.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:41 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Passengers on Miracle were told to Abandon Ship

You are right. The abandon ship announcement was the hoax, not the story about the incident.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:47 AM
First Mate

Exactly, GrandmaA....there is no way there could be this many witnesses to something that didn't happen!

It is very strange about cruisecritic.com pulling threads about it.....are they, by any chance, sponsored by Carnival?
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:08 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the clarification, friends! I guess we can all watch to see if there's a change in Captain's on that ship ... that might reveal part of the truth. I wouldn't expect he'd be in command any longer if any of these speculations are true.

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:35 PM
Passenger

I have been told that Carnival does advertise with Cruise Critic but frankly I can't be sure that this is true. It could, however, be an explanation of why all of these threads have disappeared.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Allow me to say a few things here. I was not onboard that ship so I do not know for a fact if this happened or not but there have been many differant reports from differant people concerning it so unless there is some coordination in reporting this, it seems like it might be true.
We at Cruisemates do not pull threads or delete posts unless they violate the TOS and if it is good or not good for the cruiseline or cruise industry is not a consideration. We also do not wish for anyone to come on this website and badmouth another website. We are above that and will not participate and hope our readers area also that polite. Do we remember the Golden Rule about treating others as you wish to be treated?
As for it being the Captian and this person that identifies himself/herself with a multipule letter, no idea what they are talking about and I am debating on if it is a violation of the TOS or not as it appears to have just been posted by someone wanting to start trouble.
As for Matt, he is getting close to being deleted as his posts are such that he just tries to inflame others and does not provide any usefull information but just tries to get others upset and start controvery. Be warned Matt. 'nuff said. If I find out anything firm about this incident I will report it.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:28 PM
First Mate

There is another thread that I tried to add a reply regarding this incident on cruisecritic.com. Some people, who did not hear the story, were asking what happened. The only thing I replied was to 'go to cruisemates.com, they dont censor you there'. I posted it, refreshed my screen, and my reply was gone.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:54 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

Me too Jeleja - I tried to give a short explaination of what happened and my post was almost immediately deleted.
Oh well...

Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:18 PM
Admiral

I just talked to a number of folks I know at Carnival and all of them tell me the same thing. What happened was that someone broke into the dining roon and used the Maitre D's microphone and announced the ship was sinking and to abandon ship. The crew did not hear this announcement as this PA system does not link to the crew areas. The Captain was woken and informed and he immediately announced that this was incorrect and the announcement was false and there was nothing to be concerned over. Security was able to find out the source of the announcement but were not able to determine who did it. I hope that this settles the matter and lets everyone know what really happened.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:15 PM
bjkeen

OMG, I know I would be upset if I were aboard the ship and this happened. I have sailed through some terrible storms where I would not have been in the least bit surprised if they had said abandon ship. Whoever did this was not funny. I don't understand why cc would be deleting the post asking about the incident though. I'll ask my ta friends if they have heard anything about it.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:34 PM
Beginner

Will be curious to see if an incident onboard the Miracle is mentioned in the trade journals in the next week or so.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Why would it be? One of the problems I see is that when you give publicity to stupid actions it tends to lead to more copy-cat stupid incidents. Pretty much a non-incident now as it was explained to the passengers onboard it was not true and nobody was injuried in the incident. I am sure that the cruiselines have taken steps to prevent it for occuting in the future.
Jim

Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:53 PM
Passenger

Jim: This is my last post regarding this matter. Thank you for presenting the explanation given by your Carnival contacts. I became interested in this thread because my family was on this cruise. Perhaps there were no physical injuries as a result of this incident but emotionally people are most definitely affected by it. I know my family is. This is far from a non-incident to the passengers who were awakened by a message at 4 a. m. which sounded absolutely authentic purportedly from the Captain to abandon ship. .The explanation from the Captain, after he was awakened, that it was not true, came a little too late as people were already in a state of panic. I certainly hope that the cruise line tightens its security so that something like this never happens again and that they are still investigating to see who it was that carried out this hoax.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Nick_9000

I have a question for the ppl that were on the ship that night, can anyone tell me the teenagers exact words on the announcement?

oh and Matteous the it could most definitly be under the jerisdiction of the americain police, dosn't even matter if the ship was sailing on international waters, because Carnival Miracle belongs to the property of the United States of America!

Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Admiral

GrandmaA, I very much agree with you. This was a totally stupid and criminal action by some very irresponsible and sick individuals. It did and has upset a great number of people and I am sure that if they can figure out who did this they will be prosecuted fully. In addition I have been told that there has been a huge fuss within the cruiseline and that they are looking for ways to ensure that this can never happen again. My remark about it being a non-incident is basically that I think it is over with and if dewelled upon and made headlines, it will give this idea to others looking for their 15 minutes of fame, sick as that fame might be.
Jim