Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2004, 06:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Passengers on Miracle were told to Abandon Ship 7/31/04

Ok I was not on the cruise. I sailed last week on the Legend but on another post of another site a passengers says at 3.55am someone came up on the loud speaker in all the cabins and said abandon ship. They said there was complete madness. People in the Lobby screaming and crying in bathrobes and lifejackets. Is this true those who were on that cruise that ended 7/31/04. Can someone confrim.
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2004, 06:47 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Passengers on Miracle were told to Abandon Ship 7/31/04

yeah i was on the ship some one got one the loud speaker around 4 am and said for the crew toabandon ship i went out o my balcony saw the life boats under me still there with no activity and knew it was a bad prank. my brother was upstairs and said people where runnin around yellin and screamin . people where freakin out very worried and rightfully so.. a few minutes later a woman came on and said everythings ok than a few minutes later the captain came on and said everythings fine was some teenagers. dont know who it was but people where worried not to mention being woken up with 3 messages at around 4 am..
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hopefully anywhere that there are microphones for loud speakers there are also cameras watching so that the troublemakers who pulled such a nasty prank were caught in the act (and that they, along with their parents, were charged or fined for such horrible behaviour).
Old July 31st, 2004, 08:19 PM
Bernice

Yes, it is true. I was on that ship with 7 other friends and that annoncement was DEFINITLY made. The person that did this prank should be arrested!!
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:04 PM
ginamarie

That is completely outlandish. I would expect that those "teenagers" are going to be in a LOT of trouble. I hope that they found the perpitrators and that the police were brought in after the ship docked.

I can only imagine how this would have affected the people on board, especially at 4:00 in the morning. It's hard to believe that it would be so easy for kids to get a hold of the whole announcement board for the ship. Out experience on the Miracle was very positive, but perhaps they need some more security, especially during the summer months when kids are out of school. I hate to make it sound like kids are such trouble, but it's always a couple of bad eggs that make it bad for everyone else.

Not to mention, why do people feel it's ok to let their kids out until ALL hours of the morning?? I can see a teenager being out until midnight or so, but 4 am seems unreasonable. This was one problem we did notice on the Miracle-- kids out, unsupervised, at all hours of the night. There was one girl of about 10 or 11 years old, just wandering around the midnight shows each night, and I saw a couple kids about the same age in the nightclub AFTER the midnight show. I hope that this is a glitch because the Miracle is a new ship, and that the kid problems will be solved. We were on the Disney Magic with FAR more children, and we never saw them wandering around like that.
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanPolulak

Are you kidding me? How could someone make such a sick prank?!?!?!

RIP- Cruisemates Teen Host
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:43 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

They could be drunk
FYI it's just a matter of getting into the restaurants, purser's desk, etc. All usually have full area loudspeaker controls.

Old July 31st, 2004, 10:58 PM
Admiral

I will add my 2 cents worth to this thread..First I want to say that not all teens are bad and just a few give the good ones a bad rap..Second..As for the ones who pulled this prank off..They should be given 5 yrs in the electric chair..well maybe not that bad but they should be dealt with very stearnly..and Third..This just proves my point about the MUSTER DRILL..when something really happens, do you honestly think it is going to go down like it did in the drill?..NO !...people will be people and panic WILL set in. I dont disagree with the drill but it is just like any other emergency preparedness drill either at sea or on land..it never goes down like you plan it..IMHO..

Post Edited (08-01-04 01:07)
Old August 1st, 2004, 01:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Matt,

Imagine being waken from sweet slumber to the shrill sounds of someone hollering "abandon ship". Regardless of the probability that it was legit - it would have been a very harsh awakening and the kids who pulled the prank should be dealt with firmly.
Old August 1st, 2004, 08:29 AM
Passenger

Isn't this just like yelling Fire in a public place. That is illegal. Even though they were probably on international waters, something should be done! I can't believe that anyone would find this a goofy prank! Creating chaos and scaring people to that extent is not goofy, it is cruel!
Old August 1st, 2004, 08:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Right.....just because your in international waters doesn't mean you can murder someone and get away with it. Usually the laws from where the ship is docked apply I believe or where it is registered. And yelling fire is illegal in a public place and this is the same thing. I'm sure it wasn't even a teenager at all.....could have been a 78 year old retiree! Hey its possible

Old August 1st, 2004, 09:59 AM
oops

I was on this ship 7/24/04 - 7/31/04 room 6259 - sailing with wife & two children - at around we were awoken by an announcement stating " This is you captain " & then there was a silence for a few seconds & then a second announcement stating " This is your captain. All crew members abandon ship" . Then all hell broke loose - I wnet for a walk to see what was going on, crew members were running down the hallways with lifejackets on, passangers also had the lifejackets on - people were hugging & crying - I seen a guy looking to hit someone with a ketchup bottle to get to the lifeboats - peolpe were at the muster stations- You have to understand we were all sleeping & some people figured they slept throught the passanger anouncement - being close to New York - thoughts of 911 - I know my cabin was very upset - then a women came on & said everything was fine & then a person came on staing he was the captain & everything was fine - Some are saying this was a teenager - I would disagree - The voice to me sounded like an adult - very clear , well spoken & very serious. It did not sound like a joke to me . This was the first announcement we heard in our room- all during the cruise the announcement were in the hallways , this one came over the loud speaker in our room , how would someone fooling aroung know where to go & how to use the equipment. If this was my cruise line I would have had a rep from my company at the dock with regrets that this could have happened - all we heard was everything was fine & taht was it.
Old August 1st, 2004, 10:08 AM
First Mate

AMEN Smokey!! and you too TNixon. And yes I also believe that rules/laws on land, from where the ship comes from, is also the same as onboard the ship. Such as drinking age and gambling ages. But as Smokey said

yelling Fire in a public place. That is illegal.

so why would you think something like this prank would be okay to do? I was on board Grandeur of the Seas in 2000. And some passengers pulled a prank on the captain. They called the bridge saying there was a man overboard. We turned around SHARPLY and QUICKLY I might add, and searched the waters for a couple hours, before everyone was accounted for. Pretty sure if the people who pulled that prank got caught.... that they wouldn't just be let off the hook because they were on a cruise ship on international waters! You can't go in an airport yelling or joking around saying "I have a gun" or "I'll shoot you" or something like that, either. Why would be going on the PA on a ship telling crew members to abandon the ship be okay??? That is like saying the ship is being hijacked HELLO how is that okay? How is that just a silly/goofy prank?

Another thing Matteous. I'm pretty sure Carnival has those mics behind counters or someplace children/teenagers or anybody can't get to unless they are fooling around where they aren't allowed in the first place. I've been on 6 carnival ships and I wouldn't be able to tell you where there are any mics just out in the open where anyone can get to. So if thats the case, if they are in places where passengers are not allowed... then Carnival should not be blamed in any way!

Post Edited (08-01-04 10:17)

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old August 1st, 2004, 10:18 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Passengers on Miracle were told to Abandon Ship 7/31

.....sick-minded

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:47 PM
Passenger

Just posted our experience under cruise director Miracle. Please do not email me.

Post Edited (08-01-04 22:13)
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:50 PM
Cruisingbear

I just have to respond to this one.
WHERE was Carnival security. How and why would anybody (drunk or teen) be able
to achieve access to a public address system for the ship.
Carnival needs to review their security.......
Let this be a lesson to Carnival.
And one more thing...........
I hate to see a teen blamed for something that could very well have been done by an
adult either drunk or stupid.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Sailing...................
Old August 1st, 2004, 01:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to FIREKILLER

Matt, I don't know your age but you sound immature to me. Lets take this situation and put you smack in the middle of it. What if one of your elder family member panicked and had a heart attack and died? Not so funny now, is it. Maybe you were on the ship and you pulled the prank. HAHA.

No seconds on dessert for you, oh ya, no family member living either. I am in the lifesaving profession and I have seen first hand people being so upset about situations that they have a heart attack and die. So if you think no harm then it shows all of cruisemates members that you have no feeling or concern of what could have happen. Being a father of 3 kids who would of been scared and panicked is not a laughing matter as you percieve it to be. GROW UP AND BE MATURE when thinking about this situation.

TRIUMPH 07/04
Old August 1st, 2004, 03:48 PM
First Mate

I believe Matteous would be giggling out of the other side of his mouth, if it had been him and his family that had been awakened at that time of the day with that sort of message. Or perhaps, as someone else suggested, he is simply immature and has no family whose protection and safety he puts above a "goofy prankster"....Indeed, perhaps he would not mind if he and his family had been on the ship and one of his loved ones had suffered a heart attack due to the stress of such a "prank".

Some "pranks" are more harmful than others. This one, IMO, is, indeed, akin to yelling "Fire" in a crowded theatre. The perpetrators should be punished.
Old August 1st, 2004, 03:56 PM
Beginner

he didnt have 2 small children like i did on board that where worried. and me and my wife who couldnt sleep. im glad he find this all amusing
Old August 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM
Beginner

matteous you have no clue. my whole family was at the muster drill and everyone listened. but to be woken up at 4 am with a announcement for the 'crew to abondon ship' with family members scattered all over the ship even a great person like yourself might get worried. to sit there now and know that it was a sick joke is easy to say not being in the sutiation.
Old August 1st, 2004, 04:12 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

No, matteous, you obviously don't pay enough attention to PROCEDURES! you think someone else is stupid, well, listen up!

The general alarm is for you to report to your MUSTER STATION! From there if ordered you proceed to the embarkation stations on those ships whose muster stations are separate from the ES's. Then if ordered you are made to board the lifeboats AFTER the MASTER HIMSELF comes on the loudspeaker PERSONALLY after you are there, and makes the ABANDON SHIP announcement. All pax and crew not directly involved with combating the emergency disembark via lifeboat/liferaft. then, the captain must activate the FINAL ABANDON SHIP alarm (6 second blast on the alarms/horn followed by a 3 second pause, repeated.) if the emergency is totally out of control and giving up the ship is required. He and the rest of the crew on board disembark and the ship is derelict and up for salvage if possible.

Old August 1st, 2004, 04:30 PM
StaceySch

The thing that is upsetting is how in the hell somebody got the mike system. Carnival owes the passenger something for this. Someone could have got hurt besides the inconvenience of being woken up. This should be a crime that should be prosecuted. Never mind if I was this kids parents I would wring his neck.
Old August 1st, 2004, 04:55 PM
First Mate

I don't agree that Carnival owes its other passengers anything. (Am I the only one that thinks society is entirely too litigous already?) The prepetrator of this hoax does.

It is, indeed, a crime that should be prosecuted (and good for you, Stacey. We need more parents like you...there would fewer "pranks" such as these)...

And in one regard, I believe Matteous is absolutely correct. He IS an idiot.
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:05 PM
Admiral

It is illegal even under International Law and trust me, if the determine who did it there will be formal charges pressed and the person(s) responsible will probably go to jail and have very heavy fines levied against them. This is not a joke and it is beyond belief that any thinking person would find it funny at all.
Jim

Old August 1st, 2004, 05:07 PM
First Mate

Matteous, I would like to point out that you basically have contradicted yourself in your (lame) attempt to justify your condoning of, at the least, inappropriate or, perhaps, criminal behavior.

You deride others here...they are "silly people" who don't listen at the Drills, or they'd have known the general alarm would sound. And two posts later you point out instances during instances of real emergencies where crew did not follow the procedures prescribed in the drill. Do you see the discrepancy in your logic there? If in real emergencies one can expect things NOT to go as put forth in the drill, and this situation did NOT go according to the plan put forth in the drill....why in the world would someone simply "know" that this was not a real emergency?

Unless, or course, they had The Great Matteous Clairvoyant Extraorindaire with them...
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM
First Mate

Matteous, I was only agreeing with you....It was YOU that called yourself an idiot. I merely agreed.

I think it no more hateful than calling people with legitimate concerns "silly"....

Perhaps you need to grow thicker skin. Or a sense of propriety.
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:14 PM
First Mate

I am not touching that last statement with a ten foot pole.

Lest I be thought of as "full of hate"...
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:22 PM
Passenger

All right People...give it a rest. EVERYONE!

This was a horrible thing to have happen on a vacation for anyone. I feel horribly for those on that ship. Being woken up in the middle of a deep slumber is bad..but to the announcement of everyone abandon ship....well, anyone would be a bit confused and scared. It is NATURAL and human.

Lets hope that this does NOT repeat itself on any other ship. What a horrible shame. I, too, hope that the person responsible was found and escorted off the ship.
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:14 PM
Passenger

I have received many emails meant for Matteous. Don't know what's going on, but I was on the Miracle and I was not amused by the "abandon ship" announcement. Please check the email address you are sending responses to. Thank you.
Old August 1st, 2004, 09:23 PM
Passenger

It seems to me that Matt is the only person laughing here. To be cruelly awoken at 4 am to someone saying 'abandon' anything is enough to give some people heart attacks. Many families traveling with children that do not understand the panic their parents are feeling at the moment to try to escape. God forbid someone fell and was injured or killed because of some idiots playing where they shouldnt be. Gee Matt maybe we all should try to find you and set off your smoke alarms tonight. I think that would be a hoot!!

Im cruising in 13 days and believe me I'M NOT LAUGHING