Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:43 AM
hopegirl

Default Thinking about a cruise vs ai in mexico

I am planning a vacation for approx 10 adults and 5 kids ranging in age from 4-15. I don't know if we should do a cruise or AI in mexico. I've never been on a cruise before. Some family members say its sooo much fun. But you don't get a chance to really see the island that much. Could anyone give me some benefits for a cruise over the AI. Also at the AI's the drinks are included right?
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:44 PM
Cruisingbear

Default Re: Thinking about a cruise vs ai in mexico

Dear Hopegirl,
I have been on 3 cruises and stayed at one AI resort. It really depends on what you want
to do the most on your vacation.
Cruises offer:
great food and service, nightly shows, Camp Carnival for kids and teens, food at all times,
shore tours, and spas
AI offer:
food at given times, may or may not be good, good service for the most part, watersports
(if you don't have to wait all day or make an appointment or deal with broken equip),
some include alcoholic drinks, some don't, and some offer kid programs and some
just have a pool or beach.
I loved the surroundings and included drinks at our brand name all-inclusive, but the
food was not good and the equipment needed repaired. Oh, and the local people were
always trying to sell us something. (even illegal drugs)!!!!
I plan to try another all-inclusive in the future, but for now cruising seems to be the best
way to go.
If you want to see the island while cruising, find a shore tour that tours the island or city.
I understand that Camp Carnival can't be beat for younger kids.
Good Luck
Happy Sailing.......... or what ever you choose..............
Old August 1st, 2004, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Hi hopegirl, We decided to do a cruise over an AI for our family vacation. One thing good about an AI is that all the drinks are included(alcohol and nonalcohol foo-foos;my daughters(7,13) like the noalcohol type pinacoladas,margaritas etc.). Food is better on a cruise-more variety usually. Some of those AI in the Mayan Riviera are tempting-we might try one next time;unless we have a fantastically great time on our cruise. You do not have to tip so much at an AI. An AI might be more relaxing or boring!! There are pros and cons for each. Either will be fun! I think the kids activities will be better on the cruise.Let us know what you decide. Brenda in Vancouver

Old August 1st, 2004, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

One thing I found about booking a week at an AI was that by the middle of the week we had seen pretty much everything to see. we were bored. On the cruise ship I got to checkout islands and had an idea wether I wanted to ever go back for a longer vacation or not. I think the cruise is the better choice at least for me.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 1st, 2004, 09:33 PM
Yeoman

I'd go on a cruise ! If you ever go on a cruise, you'll be hooked for life ! Its that addictive !

Happy sailing;
David
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

we did a sandals all inclusive in bahamas. it was really nice, with drinks, watersports & entertainment included. if you want to sit at the swim-up bar drinking slushies all day, you would like an all-inclusive. i've never been to a family AI, so don't know what to tell you on that, although i have heard good things about fdr resort in jamaica.

however, nothing matches the entertainment put on by carnival. my son thoroughly enjoyed the kids program last summer when he was 10 and is looking forward to going again. i think a cruise is actually cheaper than an all-inclusive.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:44 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Thinking about a cruise vs ai in mexico

We got such a great rate on our upcomming 8 day sailing out of San Diego to Acalpuco it was too hard to pass up. We also received a $100 shipboard credit too. That will help take care of the drinks or at least help.