Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:08 AM
Leigh-Anne

Default what extras should we take?

Hi everyone,
First off ... great site! Hubby and I are counting down to our first cruise on August 26th on the Sensation. Can't wait!! He is already talking about going on another without even going on this one yet!!
We've heard various things about "extras" to pack and take with you (extension cords, multi-plug etc) and was wondering what you all had to say about it? Also, do I need to pack shampoo etc. or is it like a hotel room where there is some in the bathroom already?
One last thing .... has anyone done the horseback riding excursion in Cozumel?

thanks!
Leigh-Anne
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:13 AM
elen

Default Re: what extras should we take?

Take a surge protecter extension cord so you can plug in many things. I bring my own hairdryer because I found the ones on ships to be weak. My first cruise I couldn't plug in the big plug thing on the dryer into their socket, there wasn't enough room, therefore my own multi plug thing. We had shampoo provided on all 3 cruises. (RCI and Disney). Bring the spray stuff to get out wrinkles so you don't have to iron. A clock that lights up, the ships clocks couldn't be read at night. I bring a small flashlight for night time bathroom trips. An extra collapsable bag to stuff you might buy. clothespins: I dried things on the balcony and sometimes it was windy, so at least I was able to connect things to the chairs. Extra hangers. You will have sooooo much fun!!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:18 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ScoundrelM Send a message via Yahoo to ScoundrelM

I always take a decent sized plastic tumbler for drinks at the buffet.
The glasses are always too smal and you either have to carry three glasses of drinks with you or keep getting up to refill.

But that just maybe me.

A small pocket sized- notebook. I like to jot down quick memories. If we go out
to town and find a good restaurant I want to write down names addresses yadda yadda.

If you were a party larger than you and your hubby. I'd bring walkie -talkies.
You can then separate from the rest of your party and be able to contact them
in-ship.

My. $0.02
Mark
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Yes there is soap and shampoo in the bathroom for your use. They even toss in a couple of safety razors and some lotion. <G> You pretty much have the main things but you might consider a flod-up extra bag for your "treasures" that you are sure to buy on your cruise. Some disposable underwater cameras, Duct tape, (yea, I know, strange but it has tons of uses <VBG>), and make sure you have all your meds and keep them with you in your carry-on. You also might want to bring one of those waterproof little cases for your money and ID cards or you can buy one onboard. Also water-shoes.
We have done the horseback riding in Coz and the horses are in very good condition and the ride is quite nice. They will show you some ruins and some 're-created' ruins as well.
Jim

Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:22 AM
Leigh-Anne

Wow that was quick! Thanks everyone!!!

We've bought underwater cameras already ... John likes to dive so he is going to book his own diving excursion. Since I'm going on my own horseback riding though I thought I'd go through Carnival for it.

It's just John and I but I think we are going to bring our little radios anyways ... figured it would be a lot easier that way.

He keeps saying "we should get all our things in one suitcase" and i keep saying, no we need two for the stuff we're going to buy!! lol We have a 4 year old who is staying home with Nana so I'm sure the suitcase will be full just of things for her!! lol

Thanks again everyone!!!
Leigh-Anne
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:26 AM
First Mate

Sensation is a great ship with a terrific itinerary. Careful not to overpack. You'll spend 90% of your time in shorts and sandals. Course, being your first cruise, you should do the formal night. Otherwise, we take one bag per person and self assist debark. Saves lots of time. Sorry, haven't done the horseback riding in Cozumel, but Tulum and Chankanaab are both great excursions. Stingray City is the place in GC. Have a great trip!

Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:14 AM
Leigh-Anne

Thanks!

Another quick question ... what does Carnival consider "reasonable" when taking our own drinks on? And is there bottled water available for drinking, is it free or at a cost?

thanks again everyone
Leigh-Anne
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:43 AM
scottdearing

I have found a waterproof bag helpful for excursions. You can find them pretty cheap at a boating store or dive shop. I bring along one and two dollar bills to use for tipping porters, roomservice, tour guides, ect.... Back up sunglasses, and some type of readily identifiable tag for luggage pick-up after the cruise, it can be really difficult to spot your bags in the mountains of luggage. Have fun.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:36 PM
Leigh-Anne

PS ...
is there anyone here taking the Sensation on August 26th?

L
Old August 3rd, 2004, 03:17 PM
Passenger

Leigh Anne-

As far as the bottled water, it is available for purchase about $2 each. I would recommend bringing a few from home and then refill the bottles on board to use in port. We traveled carnival's Pride in Mexico and found out quickly the benefit of having the water bottles. Not sure if water purity is as big an issue in the Caribbean as they say it is in Mexico.

Not sure what is considered " reasonable" for the sodas. I think it's an individual judgement call by the staff that day. I did see many bring 12 packs with no problems, so I would assume that would be a good guessing point.

To add to list: Bungee cord. Usually used for keeping the balcony door open, if you have one.

Also as many have said, leave your worries at home and bring a great attitude. You and your husband are going to have a fantastic time! Enjoy your time being just you two, I'm sure you have both earned it!
Old August 3rd, 2004, 05:15 PM
Admiral

I agree with all the above - the drinking water was just fine and I am fussy about my water. We take a large case each as well as two smaller ones - they fit inside each other. We pack the smallest inside the largest on the way there and that gives us an empty one for the way back - and yes you will need it for all those kids souvenirs - there is so much to choose from. And, I can guarantee, you will be hooked - enjoy. TTFN Jennifer
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Denise H

the bodine pills, thooth brush, tooth paste all that kind of stuff don't forget to put your
luggage tages you get with our documents some bright tape our pom poms so you
find your luggage your passport here are some things i can reember
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:22 PM
Admiral

It's Bonine (not Bodine) if you are looking for it in stores.

I took a small yellow sticky note pad for putting notes on the mirror for the room steward and a highlighter for highlighting the activities in the Capers that you want to see the next day.

I also went to the gift shop the first day and bought a HUGE Carnival nylon tote bag for around $12. That was what we brought all our goodies home in that we bought in port!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:22 PM
HOSKI

I agree with the nylon Carnival tote, it is great for the beach and very big.

Take an over the door pocket style shoe holder to sort and store all your little stuff. Gallon and two gallon ziplock bags to bring wet stuff home, pack things that can leak, etc.
night light; surge for multi-plugs; post it notes; lots of $1s; extra hangers; cable ties come in handy to "lock" luggage (airport security likes them because they can cut them, check your luggage and then apply their own.
extra fold up luggage; alarm clock; small notebook; travel insurance papers; copy of I.D. papersLeigh-Anne wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> First off ... great site! Hubby and I are counting down to
> our first cruise on August 26th on the Sensation. Can't wait!!
> He is already talking about going on another without even going
> on this one yet!!
> We've heard various things about "extras" to pack and take
> with you (extension cords, multi-plug etc) and was wondering
> what you all had to say about it? Also, do I need to pack
> shampoo etc. or is it like a hotel room where there is some in
> the bathroom already?
> One last thing .... has anyone done the horseback riding
> excursion in Cozumel?
>
> thanks!
> Leigh-Anne
Old August 5th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Kristen S

we brought a small airfreshner last time for our room/bathroom-- it came in handy-- because our bathroom was a bit musty smelling-- not unbearable but the spray was nice!!
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:13 PM
fabrizzi

We brought our "positive attitude" with us on our last cruise.
Unfortunately, it didn't help SQUAT!

My suitcase zipper broke (and we had NO duct tape - or bungee core)
Our room had previous smokers and we didn't bring air freshners
It was sooooo dark at nite (We should have brought a nite lite - or flashlight)
We had no room in the bathroom for our toiletries (no plastic organizer)
We could either blow dry or shave at once (no multiplug surge protect extension poer bar)
We had to pack our wet swimsuites with our clothes (no ziplock bags)
Sick as dogs (no Bonine )
We were always late for dinner or other appointments (no electric closk)
We got our sneekers soaked while in the rainforest (no water shoes)

WOW did we have fun with out positive attitude!
Old August 6th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Admiral

If you are prone to being cold take a sweater, shawl or light jacket. I heard a lot of people complain about being cold in the Lounge and the Dining Room. I don't have that problem, as I'm always warm enough (especially when I have "my own private summer"!) Those women old enough understand, the rest of you-just wait!