Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2004, 04:47 AM
cruise'n

Default Locked luggage ??

Hi all, Maybe someone can help me here. What's the rule with lugage being locked ? NOT locked for the plane, but LOCKED for the ship? Does anyone know how strick the airports are with locked luggage. Will the open up stuff locked?
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Locked luggage ??

You will need to keep your luggage un-lucked for your flight, and yes they will break open locks if they want to do a check. I don't think it matters when you board the cruise ship, but we just keep it un-lucked for that too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 6th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to grandmaa
Default Re: Re: Locked luggage ??

Just to give you some information about locks. There is a new type of combination lock for luggage today that can be opened by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA Agents) using a special device and they do not have to cut off the lock. It also has a small security window which changes color from green to red when a security access has been used. I bought it online. It is called Search Alert made by Prestolock. You can probably do a search for luggage locks and find out more about the ones that are available. I haven't used mine yet but expect to fly in the near future. Hope this helps you. I was not comfortable leaving my luggage without some kind of lock on it when flying so I purchased the locks. Actually if someone wants to break into your bags no lock is going to stop them but I feel this is better than nothing.
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Admiral

That is NOT true about them breaking the locks if they want to search your luggage. At least at Miami Airport, they have new regulations where you STAY with your checked luggage as it goes thru security, you no longer drop it off at the airline counter. They checked our luggage but had us open the locks, so no breaking of locks.

Not sure what they do at other airports, but Miami has this new procedure...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:45 AM
elen

At the airports they have these really thin strips of plastic where you slip the pointed end into a thicker end and it has little teeth on it so you can hook it closed, but can't pull it apart. They have to cut it to open up your bag, and then they put on another to close it. Yes, anyone could cut it off, I suppose, but I think it's better than leaving it open. Not all airports have you stay with the luggage and if they really want to get in, they can break the lock. I found my own set of these plastic ties at Riteaid, they're designed for tying bunches of wiring together . Mine were in different colors and lengths. The airport ones were white. At least with the colors, I could tell if someone took it off and put a new one on, altho they are supposed to put a note into your suitcase if they have inspected it. I used these for my cruises, as I too, was uncertain if they would need to get in the bag. The worst part of my plan for air travel is you need scissors to cut the dang thing open when you get to your destination, and you can't carry those in your carry one as they will take them from you!!! I suppose you could always borrow scissors from somewhere when you get to where you are going, but in the case of a hotel, it's another hassle. Can't win. Those new locks discussed above sound good, probably cost a fortune if you have 5 or so bags for a family.
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Monday at Fort Lauderdale we had to leave our luggage at a special security screening area. They told us to make sure it was unlocked and we tried to watch but they told us to leave. All the bags were stamped "checked by ....." and I assume they were all opened and searched.

Also, if you are carrying any waterproof cameras they recommend that they be hand inspected as 1. they use 800 speed film and even the carry on xrays can harm that film
2. they are enclosed in a plastic case....a potentially good place to hide things

best to all
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Here at the Peoria Airport, the TSA has their own cable ties (Plastic Locking Straps) that they place on your luggage. We do stay with our bags while they are checked. I always carry extra cable ties & nail clipper in the outside pocket of my checked bag. I want something on my bag when I leave it in the hall at the end of a cruise. I know if someone wants, they will find a way in the bag but at least I feel I tried. I cut that cable tie off at the airport and make sure one is put back on after ckecking in.
Incidently, not all airports have the key to open the TSA approved locks, they are expensive and sometimes get cut off.
Norma
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to grandmaa
Default Re: Re: Locked luggage ??

I agree that these locks are expensive. I paid $17.95 for two, no shipping, however, the company does guarantee that if the lock is cut off by the TSA inspectors, and assuming you get the lock back from them ,which I kind of doubt, they will replace it at no charge if you return it to them. So I made the investment and we will see what happens. It will probably work well at large airports but don't know how I will make out when coming home from a smaller airport in the Caribbean where the inspectors might not have the special key. They also sell what they call Luggage Security Seals (20 for $5.95 with free shipping) which sounds like what some of these posts have described Don't know if I am allowed to tell you where I bought them but will take a chance-- it was from Tamperseal.com. . Good luck folks.
Old August 6th, 2004, 11:45 AM
cruise'n

Default Re: Re: Re: Locked luggage ??

Thank you all for your comments. I have this very old 'hard case' piece of luggage that i believe is called a 'train case'. It's great for carring all my bathroom stuff in it becasue eveything can stand up. However, if not locked the lid can open up easily and all my stuff will be all over the place. I'm baffled now as to what to do???
Old August 6th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Try using a luggage belt. They can be found in the travel/luggage section of Target or KMart. We use them on our large black luggage and they also are a help in identifing our luggage at the airport or dock. We also lock our luggage when flying but we have to wait to see if they want to inspect it. If so, then we relock it. No problems.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Passenger

I bought some of those TSA locks from Tamperseal too. Gonna see how they hold up when I go on the Imagination in November. They look and feel pretty sturdy for being so small
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:57 PM
First Mate

They just had us unlock are bag they went thru and then we relocked . This was in San Juan , Springfield MO, Northwest Ark and Huston TX.after I relocked they put a tape on it searched. I did not know there was a limit on Cigarette lighters I had bought at each port. They were in checked bags but they made me remove my extra bic.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old August 7th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Passenger

Keep luggage unlocked for the plane then when you pick it up at the airport
lock it before you give it up at the dock. Thats what they told us to do.