Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2004, 04:20 PM
ctb

Default Carnival Dinner Attire/Non formal nites

First time cruiser and wondering about dress code for Carnival dining rooms for non formal nights. Are shorts really prohibited? Give me a break this is vacation and we are it is hot in August. I was worried about formal night and Carnival sales agent told me khaki pants and polo was fine for formal night. But from looking at these posts, it sounds like that is non formal nites. We are very casual, I'm very distressed and really dreading this.
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Dinner Attire/Non formal nites

Shorts, t-shirsts, polo shirts are perfectly okay in the dining rooms for breakfast and lunch. For dinner, nice slacks, dockers, or khaki pants are required for men. It's just like going out to eat at a 5 star restaurant at home, you dress up. We have seen men turned away on every cruise trying to sneak in wearing shorts. Women can get away with nice capris now. Formal nights, the men wear tuxedos, suits and some just slacks, shirt and tie. The women wear gowns, cocktail dresses, pants suits or nice church type dress. If you don't feel you want to dress up, they do offer the buffet, room service and there is 24/hr pizza. The first Formal nights is usually the Captain's Party and it is very festive. They have many places to have professional formal pictures taken for special occasions.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 8th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

If you're that casual and can't be bothered, even if it means wearing pants and not wearing a t-shirt in an air conditioned room, then just go eat up on the lido deck buffet. You won't get the same service or food, but it's your choice and if you want that stuff you go by the rules. The rules don't apply to the whole ship, just the main dining rooms. You can go to your cabin and change afterwards.
Your sales agent must have misheard you. Formal nights the very least you should be able to get away with on a 4-5 day cruise would be a dress shirt, slacks and a tie (if applicable) and on a 7 night you should not go with anything less than slacks, shirt and sportcoat.
take my advice, if it's that big a deal and you can't bother to dress nicely, go to lido.
and yes, shorts and t-shirts are really not allowed.

Old August 8th, 2004, 05:07 PM
sls

You can change immediately after dinner but you really need to be in long pants. It can get darn cold in the dinning room and the main showroom.

sls
Old August 8th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just returned from 7 days on the Glory. There was one gentleman who wore shorts to every non-formal dinner in the dining room. He was not turned away, but he looked very out of place and inappropriate. I am sure he got more than a few stares. I was amazed that someone would come to the dining room dressed like that. It takes away from the atmosphere for everyone. You get first class treatment in the dining room. You should dress first class for that.
Kris

Carnival Glory - 7/31/04
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:51 AM
canesfan1

Default Re: Re: Carnival Dinner Attire/Non formal nites

I just recently returned from the Sensation out of Tampa and people were wearing everything on non formal night. Actually, even on Formal night. Jeans, shorts, nobody said a word to any of them from what I could tell. We were all dressed nicely, some people honestly did not care. Believe me, formal night was Non-formal night for a LOT of people on this particular cruise.
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:09 PM
fabrizzi

Hey ctb

If you are sooo distressed and worried about dressing up a little for dinner, maybe a cruise is not for you. Our first cruise was so exciting because we wanted to partake in all the activities and enjoy the experience of cruising. Don't miss out on it.

At home we can eat at a fast food outlet or buffets any night of the week. But it's always something special to get dressed up and enjoy a fancy dinner. Besides, formal doen't mean tuxes and evening gowns. Sports jacket, tie and slacks for men is ok. Slacks and a nice blouse or a dress is fine for women. On other nites I wore slacks and polo shirt.

You're working yourself into a frenzy over nothing. It's your choice "dress or don't dress" for dinner.
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:41 PM
First Mate

I hope you enjoy your first cruise. I will never forget mine. Yes you need to dress real nice for formal night. You and your better-half can have those great photos taken in your best attire. You are made to feel like you really are somebody. Formal night usually is a day when you are at sea for the day. Other nights you may where your khaki pants and a polo shirt. The women wear slacks ,skirts or dress's. The meals are served in course's and it takes about 1 1/2 hour for dinner. You will be so glad you did dinner in the dinning room. They even sell fresh flowers so if you want to really make her feel good you can.
HAVE A GREAT TIME AND ENJOY YOURSELF.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Yes, shorts are not permitted in the main dining room during dinner. If you wish to change afterwards then it is up to you. We prefer to remain in the clothes we wore at dinner for the evening. Yes you are on vacation but you are on a cruise ship and not at a KOA.
Jim