Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Passenger

Default worried about the weather :/

Hi everyone,

Me and my boyfriend are sailing on the Paradise from Miami on Sunday afternoon, but since this bad weather hit I've been a little concerned that it might affect our sailing. For those of you who have more experience in this than me do you think that this storm could possibly delay the ship from leaving the port Sunday aftyernoon? From what I've been hearing on the news the storms are supposed to clear out of the Florida region by Saturday night, but since I'm a first time cruiser I'm still a little worried and just need some reassurance that our ship won't be affected. Thanks

Paradise August 2004
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: worried about the weather :/

Sailing from Miami you won't have any problems at all. The only ports that may be affected are Jacksonville, Tampa and Port Canaveral (from which I am sailing on Sat). Talked to my TA this morning she had been in contact with Carnival and they said that as of right now, no cruises sailing from Miami or Port Canveral are going to be affected and probably not Tampa. The storms are supposed to be in N FL or S GA by 2am on Saturday.

Don't worry, you will not have any problems with your cruise.

Jodi

Old August 12th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

hopefully there won't be any problems, but i understand your concern. a few years ago i was sailing out of miami on the Ecstasy when Hurricane George hit. carnival called 2 days before sailing and asked if we could make arrangements to get to port canaveral instead of miami. it was no problem for us b/c driving to port canaveral cut our drive time in half! carnival made arrangements for those who could not make it to port canaveral and helped them get there. the ship picked us up in port. can. on time and we had a wonderful cruise. at the end of the cruise the Ecstasy went back to miami and a bus picked us up from the port and drove us back to port canaveral where our car was. so, i'm sure carnival will do everything they can to make your cruise happen smoothly one way or another. good luck and happy cruising!! i wouldn't worry too much.

Old August 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Paralegal

I live in Orlando, and Miami will not be affected by the hurricane. Even if they were, the hurricane is supposed to be out of the Florida region by early Sat. morning. In fact, they are telling people who have to evacuate, or who want to evacuate, to head down to South Florida to get out of the way of the hurricane. Don't worry about the hurricane and enjoy your cruise.
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: worried about the weather :/

Thanks for the reassurance. I feel a lot better...i guess it's just the first time cruise jitters lol

Paradise August 2004
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:20 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

With Hurricane Charley headed for the Florida Keys and potentially southwestern and central Florida, and as Tropical Storm Bonnie churned in the Gulf of Mexico, Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line and Royal Caribbean International have adjusted several schedules for cruise ships already in the Caribbean this week, shifting both days at sea and port calls to steer clear of the storms. The Carnival Triumph's seven-day cruise from Miami on Aug. 7 has been adjusted to include one new day at Nassau in the Bahamas, while a port call at Ochos Rios in Jamaica was eliminated. The Carnival Paradise, which sailed on a seven-day Caribbean cruise from Miami on Aug. 8, will not call at Grand Cayman but will call at Nassau. The Carnival Conquest, which sailed Aug. 8 on a weeklong cruise from New Orleans, will now feature a new port call at Progreso, Mexico, and eliminate a call at Montego Bay, Jamaica. Right now, all cruises are expected to return on the scheduled day of disembarkation. Similarly, Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas, which sailed Aug. 9 from Galveston, Texas, will not make a port call at Georgetown, Cayman Islands, but will instead call at Costa Maya, Mexico. Majesty of the Seas, sailing a short cruise from Miami this week, will replace Key West, Fla. with Freeport in the Bahamas. Other lines were evaluating their schedules at press time. Holland America's Zuiderdam, which sailed Aug. 7 from Port Everglades cancelled a Grand Cayman call and replaced it with Nassau

Darrell

June 4, 20004 American Queen
November 20, 2004RCCL Grandeur/Seas
January 29, 2005 Carnival Sensation
September 11, 2006 Carnival Holiday
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Hey u all just an update. I live in Fla in Tarpon Springs, just about 40 mins from Tampa. I Work in Dunedin about 20 in a local MPH hospital and they sent me home at 2:00 pm this afternoon. I can't believe even the hospital shut down for 2 days except for emergencies. Keep watching the news because this is the first time in 6 years I am really worried about these storms. I am booked out of Tampa on Carnival in Nov for our 1st cruise. Watch the updates, never did I ever see a sky as black as this one. Riding it out here though. One mile from the Gulf of Mexico. Hope, all are safe through this one. Ro

Post Edited (08-12-04 20:45)
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: worried about the weather :/

People who live near Tampa can't get out of the area as the roads are so clogged up. It took me three hours from Dunedin this afternoon to get eight miles to home from the local hospital I work at. This one looks serious hope its not. Ro
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

be sure to let us know how you do through this

Old August 12th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Admiral

I'll update you all tomorrow but, I have to admit I am worried the weather does not look good this time. Riding the storm out. Ro
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:04 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

Batten down the hatches. Looks like you might get nailed down there. We are supose to leave out of Tampa 8/21. I understand one ship left yesterday. Hope everything goes OK.

TC

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:18 AM
First Mate

Hi UConn1. I am supposed to fly into Tampa Saturday to sail on Inspiration this Sunday. I guess the airport in Tampa is closing this afternoon (according to news websites I have been reading). Hopefully, Charley will not do too much damage and the airport will open back up tomorrow. It will really 'suck' if I miss my cruise due to the airport being underwater or destroyed but at least I will still have a home. I just hope the people of Tampa are safe and still have their homes once the storm clears.
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good luck RO!!!!
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:30 AM
BJKeen

Call Carnival and they will tell you what is happening with your cruise at 1-800-CARNIVAL.

I am in the Tampa Bay area and one of the evacution points. The weather is cool and overcast. We are expecting the bad weather to begin around lunch time. Yesterday the weather felt like a sauna.

The weather people are predicting Tampa Bay will be hit by the Hurricane Carley between 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.

If you live in the Tampa Bay area in a mobile home, the emergency people are telling everyone who lives in a mobile home to go to a shelter.

Wish us well.
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:22 PM
TN Terri

I'm sailing out of Port Canaveral to the Bahamas on the Fantasy on September 5. With all the hurricanes this year so far I'm really watching the weather. This is only my 2nd cruise so I'm just wondering what happens if a hurricane or tropical storm is in the Atlantic around the time we are scheduled to leave? Does Carnival cancel the cruise? What's your experience?

Also, I'm going to be in Nassau overnight and wondered what folks would recommend doing while there? I want to go snorkeling somewhere but beyond that have no idea which direction to go. I'm in a party of 4 women. Any suggestions to make the most of that one day in Nassau?

Thanks,

Terri
Knoxville, TN
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Be aware but don't waste time, energy and nerves on worry - not anything you can do about it..... enjoy!
Old August 14th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Paralegal

I am in Orlando and we made it through hurricane Charley. I will say it was scary at times, and I will never sit through another one again. I will leave and go somewhere that is not in the path. My boyfriend got power back this morning (that is how I am on the net). My place is still without power, and who knows when I'll get it back. I did hear on the news that cruises will start up again in all the ports. However, flights into and out of Orlando International Airport are on hold and you are told to call the actual airline about your flight. Hope everyone has a great cruise. We are definitely counting down the days to our cruise, onboard the Triumph, on Sept. 25, 2004.
Old August 15th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey TN Terri, I am in Lenoir City, TN!!!!!!
Old August 15th, 2004, 09:27 PM
TN Terri

Hi befus. GO VOLS!!!!!