Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Passenger

Default Booking directly through Carnival *$&#^!!!

We have taken a couple of cruises this year booked through an Internet service but for our next cruise in Dec. I decided to book directly with Carnival. So far, I have had nothing but problems--nothing serious, just small, aggravating things.

The girl who took the reservation never emailed me confirmation as she said she would. Next, I couldn't get my reservation to show on the Carnival website so I called the same girl back, but she never returned my call--it's been a week now. Also, I sent two emails to Carnival but never got a response, and today I received my booking confirmation with both my name and my address misspelled; however, somehow they did manage to charge my credit card correctly!!! (BTW, kudos to the USPS for getting the letter to my mail box).

I'm curious if this is standard procedure or just a fluke. Do most people prefer to book directly with the cruise line or to use an outside source because there would be a middle-person to act as a go-between when there is a problem?

Ecstasy 12/04/04
Norwegian Sea 5/08/04
Celebration 01/31/04
Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2004, 05:15 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Booking directly through Carnival *$&#^!!!

Sorry to hear about all the problems you have had with the Carnival bookin. I have booked the last three cruises with them and have not experienced any difficulties. Maybe it is a comedy of errors. I think their on line services are still getting bugs worked out of it. Just keep after them until you get everything straightened out. Sometimes it pays to call Carnival and speak to the person that answers. You can get another helper with your problem. I book with the same PVP but have talked to others if I have a question and have gotten good results. Keep trying. Have a great cruise.

Marty
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:05 AM
jamiegunter

I always use a travel agent. Sometimes you can get better price with agent. Also you have a person to go to if theres a problem. I dont like doing things like that over the phone.
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

If yo're just calling 1 900 carnival you're not getting a personal vacation planner. You're getting the direct desk. Two whole different departments. Try getting yourself a PVP they become YOUR personal vacation planner and you talk to the same person everytime you call.
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:28 AM
sls

Sometimes my PVP can be a little flakey. We booked 2 cruises with him and a week later he called and asked if we were ready to book a cruise. We always get things promptly in the mail from him though. When I email him he usually will call me back instead of email. I'm pretty happy, like being able to call with questions.

sls
Old August 13th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Shanna

I really like my Carnival Vacation Planner. I have booked 3 cruises with her, and she has been wonderful in helping me plan the Europe cruise. I just booked that one a couple weeks ago. She is very prompt and I have received great service from her. E-mail me at phl2azo@yahoo.com if you would like her name and phone number.

Happy Cruising!
Shannan
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Tuscani

I have liked my PVP too. I'm sure we could all give you our PVP's names and contact numbers if you want to change yours. For your problems w/ your name, address, etc, you need to call and get that changed asap. You can also request a new PVP easily. Carnival will be happy to listen to the problems you have had and then get the chance to make you happy by turing you over to another PVP. I love my PVP, he always knows me when I call and is eager to help me.

Holiday 103102
Elation 020104
Grand Princess 112704

Old August 14th, 2004, 12:59 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I have yet .over 3 Carnival cruises since 1999, found a PVP who knew more than the kid taking orders as my local Burger King let alone someone like me who visits various boards and has taken 10 cruises over 35 years (5 since 99). In fact, every PVP I ever talked with was generally WRONG. These boards had it right.
Old August 14th, 2004, 02:55 PM
parm

I've called with questions late at nite (11 pm west coast time) and always seem to get the same gal. She's totally nice and helpful. Maybe the time I call is not so busy and they are more willing to talk to someone......
Old August 14th, 2004, 10:25 PM
LSU Fanatic

I recently booked directly with Carnival through a PVP and haven't had any real problems. The only aggravation was when I tried to pay the remaining balance through their website with my credit card, it would not allow me. I kept getting an error message because my travel agent was not defined in their system. I called up the PVP and paid it with no issue.

Probably the only reason it aggravated me the way it did is I like to have as very little interaction with customer service people as possible. If I can handle it myself through a website, I find it to be much more convenient.
Old August 15th, 2004, 09:13 AM
First Mate

Sorry to hear you are having such problems, zoomer. My father has booked I think 2 of our 5 Carnival cruises directly through Carnival and we never had any problems. The only problem we ever had was that my name was spelled with a Y instead of an I. But that was not a problem. We didn't have it changed on my boarding pass, plane ticket or sail & sign card or anything. I had my ID with me all times, so they could obviously see that it was a spelling error on my documents and that I was the same person on the documents as on my ID. And that I think, was the first time we went through this one TA. It wasn't even Carnivals mistake.

This year, however, we booked through our TA because it was cheaper, minus the plane tickets. We bought plane tickets directly through the Northwest Airline website which was cheaper then any other website, TA, or Carnival.

Just as a suggestion, are you able to get a new PVP (personal vacation planner)?

Well good luck. And have fun!

07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old August 15th, 2004, 09:20 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

Seems like a lot of people are having little mishaps. I have booked now four online. this was the only time I have had anything to happen, and that was small. They sent my docs to my parents and they have their address on them so the address won't match my ID. Industry must me really "popping" right now. I guess they are so busy that they are paying less attention. Most of the problems seem small. What I found to be really intresting is that when I booked, I put the correct info in for two seperate bookings myself. I know I had the right information. I did email the T/A to link our bookings for dinner. That must have been when things went haywire.... go figure?

TC

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old August 15th, 2004, 06:39 PM
greenphotos

Make sure names are correct before you call. 'Sons of Biathches' carged me $50 to change a first name b/c her sister got it wrong. Same damn person 'Carnival' . No one different 'idiots.

Also de-activate all kids cards.

Carnival seems to activate everything in site.

Also another turn-off, is the sodas' in the room. ($2.50 and no lock) Kids grab-em without thinking!

I only want what I ask for..... 'idiots'
Old August 16th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ScoundrelM Send a message via Yahoo to ScoundrelM

I had MAJOR problems with my PVP.
Her first name is Ingrid and if you get anyone with that name run away.

First off.
She would not return calls. We asked for our cruise documents. And got no
reply. I called twice and did not get a reply only when I called and got her
supervisor on the line telling me my documents were never ordered
did she cal me on the other phone. I had the supervisor on my private line
telling me how the documents were never ordered and he personally would send the order to the documents dept. To be shipped out..
Then when Ingrid came on the phone she was rather rude and told me she ONLY got my voice mail (at 3PM when I left it as 9 AM). She also told me it was ordered days ago.
Three days later I still did not receive my docuements and i had less than four days to my cruise.

In all we were a family of seven located in three different parts of the country,
We all used her for booking as we thought it would be made easier.
Each member of my family that used her had problems.

I'll try booking through a PVP again if the price is right.
But if the person's name is Ingrid I'll pass.

Mark A. X. Andal
Elation 8/8/04
Tropicale 1998
Triumph 1999
Destiny 2001
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:13 AM
greenphotos

The lady at the Front Desk of the ships' Information Booth was 'Elena' . Boy.....was she 'hot' and beautiful!

I mean....ah ..getting back to reality here....she was from Bulgaria, but I think dum & beautiful.

I told her to de-activate the kids cards on the first day, because of what a past poster here wrote. (they should've never been activated) But somehow, one of my kids charged some arcade, and some gift shop stuff on it.

P.S. the muster drill girl was hot too!

-D