Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Layna

Default Cell Phone-Western Carribean

We are going on the Triumph 9/4-9/11 for the Western Carrib. We are leaving our 10 month and I know I am going to need to call and check on him everyday. Anyone have any tips and what about cell phone coverage? We have two different carriers, one is Sprint the other is AT&T, Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:59 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)
Default Re: Cell Phone-Western Carribean

Layna,

Not sure where in the Wester Carribbean you are going, but hope this helps. Of course there is no coverage at sea. I have Verizon. My phone worked great in Grand Cayman. It idid not work at all in Jamaca or Cozemel. Maybe you will have better luck.

TC

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old August 16th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Jean Chigas

Hi Layna,
We're on the same cruise. As you have probably read the above post, the only place a cell might work is Grand Cayman. But, you can purchase internet minutes from the internet cafe and just have the person caring for your ten month old to post messages to you e-mail and then you can log on check your mail and converse that way. I think. That's what I'm going to do with my daughter who is babysitting our house.
I hope this helps alleviate your concerns.
Jean

Old August 16th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Admiral

I agree with Jean. We communicated thru emails when we left our 18 y/o son home last year with a plumbing problem. He handled it beautifully. It was easier and cheaper than long distance phone calls and lost connections. Some internet cafes have cameras so if you have a camera hookup you could even see your child. We get to see our son who is now serving in Iraq at least twice a week. What a blessing.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

We also used the internet to "keep tabs" on our 19 y/o baby at home. He was told to email me EVERYDAY by 12pm no matter what. This actually worked pretty well, hope it works for you, too....of course, they don't get into as much trouble at 10 months, but they sure are cute....
Old August 16th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Passenger

Actually, I just got back from the Paradise and I had pretty good cell service for most of the trip. I was able to make calls in Cozumel and Costa Maya (thanks to Charley canceling Grand Cayman) and had a great signal. I have Cingular, so I guess it depends on your service provider and according to Cingular, whether or not your plan allows for international roaming.
Old August 16th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Admiral

You can also buy phone cards at most any port. The pay phones where these cards work are usually plentiful. The internet cafe is a great idea, but in case you want to talk to your sitter "in person," buy a phone card when you get to the piers.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 16th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Cell Phone-Western Carribean

Whether your cell phone will work depends on several factors - what company you're with, which type of service you have with that company, where you are, whether you have international calling on your plan, and even with all of those variables on your side, it often boils down to whether you have the right phone! I'd say call your cell service and ask.

Old August 16th, 2004, 09:43 PM
fabrizzi

Why take a chance with your cell phone. Besides I haven't heard of the costs involved with long distance call using your cell phone. I'm sure it is very expensive. So why bother?

Your two best bets as stated above are:
a. Internet
b. phone cards (you may have to buy one on each island as they may not be accepted throughout the carribean)

In April in S. Carib. we paid $29 for 70 min. of internet use.

It just depends on you. Do you really need to hear the tone of the person taking care of your child (like my d/w does). She claims that she is able to sense if there is something wrong in the voice of whom she is speaking to. I just figure if there is something seriously wrong they'll tell you if not party on.