Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Blue jeans for men?????

Nobody I know calls capris "slacks" either, so are women who wear them just trying to get around the guidelines, too? As for dressing nicely, that's certainly open to alot of opinion. I think jeans can look very nice when dressed up with a pretty blouse and some jewelry for the ladies or a nice collared shirt for the men.

Originally posted by ParrotHeadFL

"Nobody I know calls blue jeans "slacks." Doing so appears to be an excuse to get around Carnival's posted guidelines, which ask that guests dress nicely."

Post Edited (08-24-04 11:51)
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:43 PM
brendar

Default Re: Blue jeans for men?????

I am just off the Elation and I saw everything in the dining room. My table mates wore jeans to quite a few of the dinners. Honestly, who really cares? Why do people have to so concerned with what OTHER people are wearing. Wear what makes you comfortable. Enjoy the food, enjoy the service, and enjoy your time. A cruise should be a time to relax, not obsess about dress. As for my table mates wearing jeans, who I am to judge them as being "wrong" -I enjoyed listening to who they were on the inside.
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Brendar - I care. The atmosphere of the experience is important to me, and what others are wearing and doing affects that atmosphere.

Sorry if that bothers you.
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:29 AM
First Mate

Last week on Inspiration I insisted my son wear dockers on informal nights. However, I did see a few people wearing jeans and one man even wore shorts. I still think, that if you eat in the main dining room, you should follow the dress code, REGARDLESS of what others are doing.
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Admiral

I care, too Parrot. I don't care so much that it ruins my cruise if I am seated with someone wearing jeans, but IMHO the "atomsphere" is half the experience of a restaurant - *any* restaurant.

I sometimes want a bawdier, more relaxed atmosphere. But at night in the main dining room, I want a more upscale experience. I can eat at Chili's and Applebee's - 2 restaurants I consider "jeans" restaurants - at home. My cruise is about a whole lot of special experiences - dining being one of them.

I was delighted when I cruised for the first time to discover the ship had BOTH available - casual and dressier. I actually didn't see anyone dressed down, but from all the posts I've read I'm sure they were there.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old August 25th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Brendar

Just a side note on the "upscale" experience-on the Elation at the end of every meal they had the lights flashing and the waiters danced to silly dances and encouraged everyone in the dining room to form a conga line-that is not an upscale atmosphere to me..that sort of "thing" is what they do at Senor Frogs in Couzmel! How can jeans really bother people that much b/c they want the "experience"? You are not wearing them-how does it really affect you? How is your own personal "upscale experience" truly changed b/c someone else is wearing jeans? When people are sitting down their jeans are not even noticeable anyway. Plus, I had more on my mind than having an eagle eye to "catch" who was wearing jeans around the dining room. Plus, luv2cruise is completely right. The only things that are absolutely forbidden in the dining room are shorts and bathing attire. After that, Carnival just has suggesed guidelines. Go on Celebrity and Disney cruise web sites. You will find they clearly state that jeans are not allowed. Carnival does not.
Old August 25th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Go on Celebrity and Disney cruise web sites. You will find they clearly state that jeans are not allowed. Carnival does not.

I don't think that's the case anymore. Most of the cruise lines seem to have eliminated any reference to jeans. They all say no shorts in the dining room in the evening, but even that is not enforced.

Old August 25th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's an explanation I posted on a different message board:

"What makes a formal dining experience formal? If I were to go to McDonalds in a tux, would that be a formal meal?

Rather, it's the complete experience. Things like the atmosphere of the restaurant, the type of food served, and the attire of the clientele and wait staff. Then other people are dressed informally, the dining experience becomes less formal. Is this fair for the people who want a formal meal? People who were told by the cruise line that there would be one? People who assumed that the clothing guidelines Carnival posts on its Web site would be enforced, just as they would in a fine restaurant?"

Now, that specific post was made regarding Carnival not enforcing the dress code on formal nights--but the same principles hold true on non-formal nights. My vacation isn't going to be ruined if people are wearing jeans in the dining room, but the overall experience will be lessened a bit.