Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:55 PM
karenh1127

Default Blue jeans for men?????

Is blue jeans and a nice shirt acceptable for men to wear in the casual dining rooms? I know he has to dress up for formal night but what about other nights? How about kids? Can they wear jeans or shorts in the dining room?
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Blue jeans for men?????

On our Ecstasy trip in January, Jeans were ok on non formal nights. As far as shorts & t-shirts, they are never allowed on any night, not even for kids. Have fun.
Old August 17th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Sea Girl

Think country club casual, dockers and a golf or button down shirt are perfect. Have fun!!!!!!!!
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Admiral

You asked specifically about the "casual dining rooms" so I assume you are not referring to the main dining room. As others have said, no shorts or t-shirts allowed at night in the main dining rooms. Jeans are not completely forbidden by some lines, but are not "resort casual" in many folks opinions.

However, the "casual" dining rooms are the buffets on the lido decks and jeans and shorts are perfectly acceptable.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 17th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

A nice pair of jeans is fine in the main dining room on non-formal nights. Shorts are prohibited in the main dining room, although I have seen them on occasion. Both jeans and shorts are perfectly acceptable at all times at the lido deck buffet.
Old August 18th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I thought jeans were considered too casual for the dining room, even on non-formal nights? I thought Dockers and the like were the standard.

But my first cruise is still in the future, so I could be mistaken. Just basing that on what I've read in preparing for it.
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

just got back from elation. on non-formal nights, jeans & polo or other type collared shirt are acceptable. several kids wore shorts. the last night of the cruise i even saw men with shorts on (the kind w/pockets, not the t-shirt material ones). seems that as long as you are dressed appropriately on formal nights & use good judgement on the others, they don't care. lido deck anything goes.
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:47 AM
sls

Jeans are suppose to be too casual for the dining room but the "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want mentality" has prevailed and now it's no jeans on formal nights and no shorts during dinner in the dining room at any time. If it keeps going down hill it will soon be shorts any night except formal night when jeans are allowed.

Maybe it's time for me to find another cruise line.

sls
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

sls makes a good point. Just because some of you have seen people wearing jeans in the main dining rooms on non-formal nights does not mean that it is now "acceptable" to wear them for dinner in the main dining rooms. It is still in the cruiseline's guidelines that resort casual is the minimum suggested dress code for non-formal nights, and that does not include jeans. The only reason why people wearing jeans for dinner don't get barred from the main dining rooms is because the staff has been instructed not to make a scene and they just ignore the jeans in an attempt to maintain harmony. The passengers wearing jeans should know better and not place the staff in that uncomfortable position of having to look the other way. If you want to wear jeans for dinner on any night you should go to one of the Lido deck eateries and not ignore the dress code guidelines by showing up for dinner in the main dining room wearing jeans. That goes for men and women, and the color of the jeans or the price you paid for them is irrelevant!

Grandeur of the Seas
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Forgive me - gotta say it again - JEANS in the tropics? I don't get it.......

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Blue jeans for men?????

Nowhere in Carnival's guidelines does it say that jeans are too casual for the dining room. In fact, they make the distinction that shorts, t-shirts and bathing suits are prohibited. If they intended for jeans to be prohibited too, they could easily add them to that list.

You may feel that jeans are too casual for the dining room. That's your opinion and you're entiteld to it, however, others are entitled to theirs as well. It has nothing to do with an "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want mentality". If I had that mentality I would definitely be wearing shorts everynight (including formal). But I don't. I follow the dress code as it is written. Since it doesn't say "no jeans", I wear them, as do many others.

Originally posted by sls:

"Jeans are suppose to be too casual for the dining room but the "it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want mentality" has prevailed and now it's no jeans on formal nights and no shorts during dinner in the dining room at any time. If it keeps going down hill it will soon be shorts any night except formal night when jeans are allowed."
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

dorothy, you questioned jeans in the tropics. i find that the a/c works very well on ships, so i can see them being worn indoors, though i would be way uncomfortable up on deck in jeans. of course, people pay good money to sweat, so......
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Beginner

It's just my opinion, but to me it makes sense that, especially on a family oriented cruise, jeans be allowed on non-formal nights.
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Admiral

The AC works almost TOO good for my taste, diver, but unless you plan on not going on deck, or getting off the ship, jeans just seem too heavy. But hey, some folks probably think I'm crazy for wearing my sweater in the dining room!

It's all about interpretation, luv2cruise, but would you wear jeans (or your shorts) to a 4 or 5 star restaurant at home?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 18th, 2004, 06:06 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

"....but would you wear jeans (or your shorts) to a 4 or 5 star restaurant at home?"

Unfortunately, Dorothy, some people WOULD wear jeans to a 4 or 5 star restaurant and therein lies the problem with the "casualing down" of dress attire in the dining room on cruise ships.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old August 18th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know in some parts of the country, the answer to this would have to be "no". However, where I come from (a major metropolitan area on the West Coast), jeans are common and acceptable in even the best restaurants.

That is besides the point, however, since I have yet to experience 4 or 5 star cuisine on a cruise. Good banquet quality at best.

Originally posted by Dorothy:

"It's all about interpretation, luv2cruise, but would you wear jeans (or your shorts) to a 4 or 5 star restaurant at home?"

Post Edited (08-18-04 18:21)
Old August 18th, 2004, 06:29 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M
Default Re: Re: Re: Blue jeans for men?????

I am also from a major metropolitan area on the west coast (Southern California, near Los Angeles)...but I still think jeans are not appropriate for 4/5 star restaurants. JMO

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old August 18th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Blue jeans for men?????

Society as a whole has been "casualing down" for the past 50 years or so. Why should cruiselines be any different? Like any other business, they have to cater to what their customers want and more and more that means casual. This is especially true since most of the cruiselines are trying hard to market to families and younger passengers who just don't want to be as formal as generations past (especially on vacation).

Originally posted by Laurie M:

"Unfortunately, Dorothy, some people WOULD wear jeans to a 4 or 5 star restaurant and therein lies the problem with the "casualing down" of dress attire in the dining room on cruise ships."
Old August 18th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Luv2cruise, I'm really sorry you haven't experienced anything better than "banquet quality" food on your cruises. I was fortunate enough to enjoy 4 star dining. And even if the food didn't completely measure up to your idea of 4 star, you have to take into consideration the atmosphere of the restaurant. The ambience is clearly intended to be one of a nice, upscale restaurant.

I once ate in a Ritz Carlton and the food was horrible. Did that entitle me to wear jeans? Of course not!

As I said before - it's all in interpretation and all of us won't agree.

I also think your assumption that most cruisers want a more casual dining atmosphere is just that - an assumption. I'm a "family cruiser" and I like the more formal atmosphere of the main dining room. The ships have a lido, buffet deck for a reason. People who truly want the casual, shorts-and-jeans experience can have it - on the lido deck. And those of us that want a more formal atmosphere can have that as well.

It's one of the things I like about cruising - something for everybody!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 18th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

So heres a new question or point, which ever way you wanna take it. Most of my jeans are in the $20 or less range, but I read modern fashion mags, and they have jeans for $100 or MORE. (which I think is nuts) but anyway. You just think that khaki's or slacks are more appropriate cause that is what people have been told and have said for many years. Whats wrong with Jeans!? Nothing I say. Get with the modernization and evolution of cruise dining people. Just think 100 years ago you wore Suits and Ties or Tux EVERYWHERE on the ship, now we have waterslides on board. Just think if the Titanic had a waterslide, I'm sure people would have turned there noses up at that. Ok I'm rambling now...sorry.

Old August 19th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

times have certainly changed. i can remember as a 12-year old wearing a long dress to eat at steak & ale. now, you see people in shorts that have walked across the street from six flags in there!
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:05 AM
karenh1127

I suppose I asked a good ? because it seems to have generated alot of responses. My husband is the type to wear a suit only to a funeral and only if he is a pallbearer. Sad I know but we live in Texas and are just that layed back. I like the idea of dressing up as most women probably do but I dont see the big deal about men wearing nice jeans in the dining room. And i mean nice not expensive, just not any with holes, frayed edges or very faded. Of course this may be the problem........if you allow jeans some will take it to the extreme and wear not so nice ones. Oh well, I have been buying dh khakis anyway so he will have some. As far as the changing times.........I can remember when my grandmother wouldnt let you in her kitchen w/o a shirt much less sit at her table!!! And now i see men with caps on in public restaurants! Times do change but you all make very good points!
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Admiral

We need to get back to the original question as there wasn't a moral question asked. Yes you can wear jeans in the main dining room except on formal nights and even then if it is part of a suit or formal type attire. Shorts are not permitted except on the first night as some people do not have their luggage yet.
Now for the moral and personal feeling things; Suggested attire on all nights except formal is "resort casual" which mean dress pants or docker types with at least a polo type shirt with a collar. Jeans are permitted but seldom worn. The reason being is that most cruises are in the tropics and jeans are hot and they are heavy to pack. Common courtsey demands that no t-shirts, shorts, caps etc ever be worn in the dining room.
Jim

Old August 19th, 2004, 08:26 PM
KN

wow and all that because of a blue jean question?
Old August 20th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Karen - I live in Florida, which is a pretty casual state. But I'm wearing Dockers to the dining room on non-formal nights. Check out what Carnival's Web site says:

"Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner."

Personally, I'm going to adhere to Carnival's guidelines. It's a sports shirt and slacks for me on non-formal nights, and a suit on formal nights.
Old August 20th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Admiral

And blue jeans aren't "slacks". I guess I never noticed that particular wording, but it would seem to answer the questions about jeans in the dining room.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 21st, 2004, 08:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

"...it would seem to answer the questions about jeans in the dining room.'

One would hope. But of course, there are those who simply do not care about the guidelines--it's "their" vacation (as though no one else were on the ship with them), and by gum they're going to wear what they want to wear.
Old August 21st, 2004, 08:12 AM
Admiral

So true Parrot.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 24th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Actually, blue jeans ARE "slacks" as the definition of slacks (according to Webster's Dictionary) is simply "a two legged garment extending from waist to knee or ankle". While it is true that it is uncommon to hear jeans referred to as "slacks", it is also uncommon to hear capris referred to as "slacks", but it seems pretty widely agreed that they are acceptable.

It seems clear to me that if Carnival had intended jeans to be prohibited they would have added them to the list of other prohibited items (shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire). They had the opportunity to make it perfectly clear that jeans are not acceptable, instead they choose to leave it up to each individual person to decide.

We can argue all day about whether jeans are appropriate in the dining room. That is a matter of opinion. However, it is a matter of fact that Carnival choose not to prohibit them and, therefore, jeans ARE NOT against Carnival's guidelines.

Originally posted by Dorothy:

"And blue jeans aren't "slacks". I guess I never noticed that particular
wording, but it would seem to answer the questions about jeans in the
dining room."
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Nobody I know calls blue jeans "slacks." Doing so appears to be an excuse to get around Carnival's posted guidelines, which ask that guests dress nicely.