Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Specific Cabin - Upgrade?

Has anyone that has ever booked a specific cabin number rather than just a category GTY ever been upgraded? We currently have a specific cabin booked on the Upper Deck.

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Specific Cabin - Upgrade?

When you book a specific cabin it is assumed that there is a reason you want that cabin and they will not upgrade you without asking first and then only if they need that cabin for some reason.
Jim

Old August 17th, 2004, 06:25 PM
First Mate

We were upgraded from Cat 11 to Cat 12 (Penthouse Suite on the Sensation)
We did not book guarantee. I found out by chance that we had been upgraded.
We are so excitied.
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:00 PM
StaceySch

It didn't happen to us. We booked specific cabins because we wanted adjoining. If I didn't need adjoining I would ask for a GTY room but with the kids I couldn't take a chance. Like everyone says about cruising, only book what you will be happy with and don't count on the upgrade. If you get it, it is a pleasant surprise.
Old August 17th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

I booked a specific cabin ---- inside 4A on the riviera deck.
and we were notified a few weeks after I booked it.....we were given
a complimentary upgrade to a Balcony 8D , on the Lido deck.
I think this was because I used the same travel agent when booking my first and second cruises.

Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Passenger

we booked 5 cruises thru the same TA and only received an upgrade from a 4a to a 4b.
We could still be upgraded more. I guess i'll wait till we get to the port.

Carnival Destiny 9/5/04
Carn
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Kristineth

On all 3 of our cruises, we booked a specific cabin and two of those times we received an unexpected upgrade. Noone notified us or asked us if we wanted the upgrade prior to the cruise....so yes, it does happen....and the Travel Agent or Carnival does NOT have to ask your permission first. (although, I feel as though it would be the proper thing to do as most people book an assigned cabin for a reason)

Both times we had booked a category 9A cabin with a wrap around balcony. On our first cruise, we found out they had given our cabin to a Carnival employee! We were really looking forward to the large balcony and had to go through a huge hassle, but we were able to get our original cabin back.

I had to share my experience because I have read many people say if you book an assigned cabin you won't be upgraded without your approval, but that is not always the case....ANYthing can happen.
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Admiral

We booked a specific aft cabin on our RCI cruise next week and they called our TA and asked us to move, offering us a larger room and a $300 refund. We took it and will enjoy the money. We have a specific aft cabin booked on the Spirit for November, but I don't want to be moved up so I hope they don't, unless it's to a JS! : )

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Being upgraded if you book a specific cabin will not happen unless your TA agreed to it. It is possible that your TA has a group spacve and they put you in a cabin and then allowed you to be upgraded so that they could sell another cabin in the lower cat. It also should not happen and if it did and you were not aware of it you have a TA that is not looking out for you or your interests. Only if you told you TA prior that you would not mind an upgrade. If you tell them you want a specific cabin then they should book that cabin and not change it without your permission.
Jim

Old August 19th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Dh and I always book a specific room. Our reason is that we book based upon price at the time. It does not matter where the room is located, what ship or even where it is going....we just look at the best deal.
Because of our jobs, we have the luxury of being able to leave at a moments notice or schedule a year in advance.
Two of our cheapest cruises we ever took was on the Costa Atlantica for $598...FOR THE TWO OF US...for 7 days. We booked it 9 days in advance. The reason for the cheap rate was because they were not selling alot of cabins and they offered a fantastic discount for residents from SC, then added a military on top of that. Then we went on the Fantasy for $278 FOR THE TWO OF US....for 4 days. Same deal.

BOY...I love to cruise!

Sensation 96/99; Fascination 00; Costa Atlantica 01; Fantasy 02;
Sovereign/Seas 02; Victory 03; Glory 9/04; Caribbean Princess 10/05
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Kristineth

Jim~
I see what you are saying...and I agree...definitely noone was looking out for us. Yes, a TA *should* ask permission, but unfortunately for me that hasn't been the case. (twice!) On our first cruise we booked directly with Carnival...and that is when they decided to give our assigned cabin to a Carnival employee. (they were obviously looking out for their employees and what they wanted, not us! It just goes to show how great those 9A cabins are...even the employees want them!!)

The other time we received an unexpected upgrade with an assigned cabin was when we booked with an online TA. Luckily, a couple of weeks prior to the cruise I attempted to order wine to be delivered to our cabin online, and it kept saying my booking number didn't match. I knew something was wrong, and when I called my TA she said we were upgraded. (she said Carnival did it and they had no control over it...I'm not sure if that's true) Anyway....thankfully, they were able to get everything straightened out for us before the cruise.

I've learned my lesson, and realize now that booking an assigned cabin doesn't guarantee ANYthing. I guess we should have been proactive and stated we didn't want to be upgraded when we booked our cruises. (although with an assigned cabin you would think that would be assumed)
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Admiral

I am surprised that CCL did not first contact you and make you an offer as I know of many times that they have done just that. As for them giving it to an 'employee', it was probably someone that was coming on for entertainment purposes or the cabin was being refurbished and some company smuck can't complain about the work going on in the cabin like a paying guest can. <G>
Jim