Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival Legend on CBS News!!!!!!!

I live in nyc and the just showed a news brief on cbs. Passengers are not happy as the begin boarding the Carnival Legend. Does anyone know why?
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Femme1964

Default Re: Carnival Legend on CBS News!!!!!!!

Maybe you saw the ones that were getting of the ship. I was one of the them and did not look very happy. We were taken to Bermuda instead of P.R., St. Thomas and Tortola.
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

No I dont think so maybe. They mentioned the Bahamas
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

why did you go to bermuda instead??? weather??

Old August 19th, 2004, 03:11 PM
cwstar

I just saw that too that is why I got on here, to see if anyone knew what happened. I went to CBS website but nothing was on about it.
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Legend went to Bermuda because of a little wind and rain called Charlie. Perhaps CBS was covering the return.
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Femme1964

Legend did not go to Bermuda because of Charlie!
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

I saw the report. They went because of the engine problem. Many people want to sue carnival. They said they heard a loud bang right before leaving nyc last week and then were only giving $150. Carnival said people could use the Vacation Gurantee but only a hand full did so.
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:11 AM
SnowWhiteNYC

Default just off legend

Just off the Legend....we went to Bermuda instead of reg. itin.
This was because of engine trouble. There were lots of unhappy people...But we weren't among them...There were many more people who just made the best of it and had a great time...Bermuda was wonderful....Beautiful weather....Carnival gave us each a $150 credit and flew people home on sat. who wanted to....

My husband and I got off when the cameras were there and nobody wanted to film us and our positive great experience story...guess happy people aren't newsworthy...

If we had gone where we were supposed to, weather would have been lousy....I didn't wait all year for a cruise vacation to let change of plans and some grumpy people ruin it for me!

SnowWhite
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:22 AM
First Mate

Glad there are people like you out there, SnowWhiteNYC.

Man some people just are too hard to please. That's pretty sad. Shoot, what kind of person would be disappointed to get to go to Bremuda? Heck any Island down in the caribbean? There are many people out there that can afford a vacation like that, or a vacation at all. And when there are people who can afford them, they go and come back complaining???? geeze. Those people should think about giving money to the poor-- sending them on a vacation, they would be able to appreciate it alot more I'm sure, no matter where they go! You know, things go wrong, the captain sure can't help that. He is responsible for his passengers keeping them safe,,, gee, if something was wrong with the engine, I surely count on the captain to make the right decision and if he has to cancel a port of call and change our itinerary to keep the passengers safe then more power to him. I respect that and appreciate him for keeping everyone safe. You paid for a fun vacation,,, you don't think the captain knows that, you don't think he too was upset that he couldn't make the ports of calls as planned for you people??

Be happy you even went to a different island at least, you got the opportunity to explore something you didn't even expect to. What? You don't like surprises?? I wouldn't mind a surprise vacation to Bremuda . Something went wrong, okay, it happens.. but at least you were someplace where you were able to have fun, and if you didn't have fun well guess what THAT IS YOUR FAULT. You had every opportunity to make it the best, sorry you didn't do that. And I won't be surprised if someday you regret not making the most out of it... Also, be thankful nothing seriously went wrong, eh?

SnowWhite-
Was that $150 an onboard ship credit? Like did they credit your Sail & Sign cards with $150??? and Per Person?? because if that is true, wow. It says they would only give $20.00 U.S.D. per person and that was only if they couldn't make an alternative port of call. At least thats my understanding...

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_T...on_policy.aspx

Glad you had a great vacation even if you didn't get to the ports of calls you were counting on. :-) Who wouldn't want nice weather over lousy weather? weird

Happy Cruising!

07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:14 PM
SnowWhiteNYC

Default Re: Re: Carnival Legend on CBS News!!!!!!!

The $150 credit was per person and was credited to our Sail and Sign accounts immediately after the announcement was made.

Do you believe some people actually withheld gratuities from the wait staff and room stewards?

Can't wait to cruise again next year!
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

i cannot believe people would withhold gratuities. what a crock! i think people who act like that don't need to cruise. i hate people who act like that....think about all the bad things going on around the world and you're on a cruise ship complaining. terrible.

Old August 20th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Passenger

I can't believe people withhold gratuities from the wait staff and room stewards! I've read this before when there has been an unexpected change of itinerary. What do the wait staff and room stewards have to do with mechanical problems, weather, or medical emergencies?! Ridiculous!

These people work really hard and rely on the tips as part of their income.

Sarah

Post Edited (08-20-04 14:12)
Old August 20th, 2004, 07:43 PM
First Mate

That is pathetic. People like that don't even deserve to be on any cruise ship. Greedy selfish people. Geeze. The people who work on those ships get paid very little for all the hard work, all the pampering they do for everyone. They go out of their way to make the passengers happy, yet there are some that are not happy? Holy crap, like what do they think-- they are in a castle and they're the King or Queen, well THINK AGAIN. Its a cruise, its a vacation. A time to be happy, relax and enjoy being pampered, not complain. A cruise is the closest thing you'll ever get to, to feel like a king or queen. So enjoy it while it lasts, don't complain about it. The workers are there to take care of you, don't you think they deserve something? You may not be a happy sailor, but think how little money those workers have and look how happy they are throughout the whole cruise. They can't wait to get paid, so pay them. If you can't be happy by that, well then at least make SOMEBODY happy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
luvs2cruise said:

What do the wait staff and room stewards have to do with mechanical problems, weather, or medical

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EXACTLY!

Happy Cruising!
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old August 20th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Snowwhite - so how *was* Bermuda?

I think part of the appeal of cruising is the idea of the unexpected. I feel for the people who planned shore excursions and missed them, but I'm pretty sure they could find something to do in Bermuda.....And if not, then take Carnival up on the vacation guarantee.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Cruizegal

Just putting in my two cents. It does not surprise me that the Legend had engine trouble. I was on it 7/18. First of all, the ship went through a Nor'Easter and she tipped, I heard that the stabilizer had susstain damage. Then, a passenger had a heart attack. (I hope he is doing well) and we had to divert to Bermuda to get him emergency care. The ship was cruising at FULL speed all the way from Tortola to Bermuda and the next day from Bermuda to NYC. I was up on deck 8 and we were a rockin' (I felt like a milkshake) Then, because the ship was so behind schedule, almost 10 hours docking back into NY, it left 4 hrs. later from NY and again went full speed to P.R. Then the East Coast had Tropical storm Bonnie and Hurricane Charlie. Considering all that, I think Bermuda was a good choice... Especiall for a ship that I think needs a good tune-up! I hope all who cruised there had a wonderful time inspite of all the ups and downs.

P.S. Is the Miracle a good choice to travel NY to Bahama? Appreciate any feedback.

Happy Cruising All
Cruizegal

Legend - 7/18/04
Old August 21st, 2004, 04:51 AM
SnowWhiteNYC

Bermuda was spectacular....we had picture perfect weather the whole cruise...even our days at sea...and because we were going so slow (only one engine) we had the smoothest cruise ever...couldn't be beat...

I'm one of those people who plans everything...so all my plans were scrapped...we did two ship's excursions. They were both out of this world....
We did the helmet dive with Hartley's (awesome experience) and the glass bottom boat (great time, very informative - got to see a ship wreck)

Best part is, we booked the Legend for next summer and I'm all planned! :0)
Old August 21st, 2004, 08:49 AM
elen

I think Bermuda is nothing to complain about, really.
How about this? A couple from the Portland, Maine area went on a cruise from, I think, New York. Heading to the Caribbean or Bermuda. (someplace warm, anyway) Saved their money, big time, for this trip. I can't remember the reason, I think it was weather, but their ship headed to Canada instead!!!!!!
One of the ports was Portland, Maine. They got off the ship, went home, mowed their lawn and then HAD to get back on the ship. Apparently it's against regulations not to reboard the ship once you're on it, unless it's an emergency!
Now I know just being on a ship is wonderful, sometimes the sea days are the best, but imagine having summer clothes and then heading to very cool Canada?? It wasn't summer in Canada when this happened. Now, THAT'S depressing.
So, Legend voyagers, it could be worse........
Old August 21st, 2004, 09:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SarahVic Send a message via MSN to SarahVic

SnowWhite - good for you, having that attitude. We wish there were more people like you out there!

We went on the Elation 8-8-04 (Western Caribbean out of Galveston) and were actually *hoping* to be diverted to a different port because we like surprises! This was only our 2nd cruise. Our first one was my hubby and I alone, this time we took our 4 children. We took a cruise w/ the same itenerary as our first cruise so we would be comfortable (taking the kids and all), but a different port would have been exciting! I think next time we will head out of Florida and visit the Eastern Caribbean.

Post Edited (08-21-04 21:04)

Smile! It just feels good.
Old August 21st, 2004, 11:53 PM
NJMatt

Its amazing how some people react to CHANGE and how others can't.

Remember PEOPLE...when you take a cruise and you get those things in the mail,called TICKETS that you turn them over and read on the back what is called Contract of Passage or something to that extent which details about your cruise and if the line decides in their regard for the saftey of the crew and its passengers which is YOU the GUEST,they can and will change the itinerary.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:11 AM
Cruisingrandma

I think we need to all think about ... Hey we r on vacation. lets make the best of every day we have here... Spending our vacation complaining about everything is such a waste. I am the happiest when I am on a ship going anywhere...... I do believe that the cruise lines should put all the tipping on the charges now. So we all pay for tips included in our cruise price. Why should the workers be punished for the things that r beyond anyones control. I pay mine with my cruise all the time. That way I dont have to think about the tips again. Its all done before I leave. Also if we receive the best service I give extra in the envelopes at the end too. We have alsways been treated like royalty on cArnival cruises. they deserve all the tips...... and should get all the tips also... Happy cruising...
Old August 23rd, 2004, 05:32 AM
CRUZN BUCKEYE

First of all....it is in your documents about possibly having to change ports. If you don't like that you can always cancel...or take the guarantee.
Next, your cabins were kept clean and your meals served...please tip your crew for the excellent job that they do ...even in this situation. They work very hard to make your trip the best.
Also, they normally give $20 per missed port. They kept their passengers safe and took them to a beautiful destination. Let's see...sunshine in Bermuda... or crappy weather in the scheduled ports of call... And gave them $150pp....that's at least $300 per cabin in most cases.

Now, the part that some may think is corny. I was scheduled to cruise on the Legend in March. I did not get to go. A large tumor was discovered on my brain, ( no cancer) and I had to cancel. My health is coming back and I am able to cruise again! Be so thankful that you have your health and are able to go on a nice vacation. I was so afraid that I would not open my eyes after surgery....I get tired of hearing all the silly complaints..."oh darn it, I had to go to Bermuda! " I don't care if my ship heads to TimBuckToo! I am alive and happy and will enjoy every day of it now matter where we end up!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:42 AM
SnowWhiteNYC

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival Legend on CBS News!!!!!!!

Here here and amen to that!