Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:14 PM
mikeh

Default Looking for Advice

Hi,
I am sailing on the Imagination in Oct. My girlfriend is confined to a wheelchair. I have not been on a cruise before, so I don't know what to expect with her. Can you give me any advice and what tours to take? Any other advice would be helpful. I think our room is on main.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Looking for Advice

Which ports are you going to?
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:22 PM
mikeh

Default Re: Re: Looking for Advice

Caymens and Ocho Rios
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:50 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

Mike, In the Caymans you have to tenner into port. They should, however be able to accomdate you. The town itself sits right at the dock and is beautiful. Other might can tell you about other excursions.

I have been to Montego Bay but not Ochos Rios. Some one else can probably help you out.

Have Fun!!

TC

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:15 PM
cajuncrab

Mike, although you have to tender into Grand Cayman, do not let the wheel chair stop the two of you. I went to Grand cayman and on our ship was a young girl in a wheel chair and she and her mother and sisters did just fine getting around. You may need some help getting her on/off of the tender boat, but if you have people traveling with you you should be fine, and hey, even if you don't have others with you, there are always nice people willing to help out, even if they don't know you.

Good luck ou you both and have a wonderful time!
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:10 AM
GLORYGIRL

You guys should have a wonderful time. I was on the Glory last year in October and there was a married couple there that I met, both in wheelchairs and they really enjoyed themselves. If their wheelchairs allowed them to go, they went!!

Enjoy!!!
Old August 21st, 2004, 08:05 PM
Yeoman

On our last cruise, there was a lady that was blind.Yes, totally blind ! She had no problems at all. Her and her husband went snorkling, and sight seeing just like the rest of us.
Look on your excursion guide, and it should tell you whats wheel chair accessible and whats not.
Enjoy your cruise !
happy sailing;
david
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:06 PM
Happy Camper

Did you get a handicap room? They are larger. She should have no problems at all. I jut took my father in law on a cruise and he used canes and a wheelchair and had a great time. The tender may be difficult. I'd ask Carnival how that would work. Jamaica should be fine - take an excursion there throught the ship. Have a great time! Debbie
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:35 PM
mikeh

Yes I dis get a handicap room. Thanks for the replies!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:41 PM
jamiegunter

The carnival staff will help her on and off the ship when u need to tender. I seen them pick people up to get on and off the tenders. Wont be a problem, hope you have a good time
Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:54 PM
rburns44

MY husband was in a wheelchair and we were able to go to Stingray City! We just booked off the pier and ask if they could accomodate him and they did. There are lots of things for disabled people to do.

Becky
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:07 PM
Paula D.

My hubby is disabled and in a wheelchair. We are taking our first cruise on Sept. 6th on the Ecstasy. (This is a small, budgeted vacation this time). We know that the Ecstasy is an older ship and might not be as accessible as the newer bigger ships but we are going to make the most of it >
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:12 PM
mikeh

thanks!
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to newaddiction Send a message via MSN to newaddiction

Paula, I've been on Ecstasy twice. You shouldn't have too many problems. The only one I can think of is on Formal night with the photo backdrops throughout the ship. Some spots can be a tight fit trying to go around (just stand in line for a photo opp) and the wires for the lights and camera equipment _might_ get in the way.

Otherwise, the elevators are spacious, hallways wide and smooth. Have a great trip. You two are sailing out of Long Beach the day after we are on Pride. Only 3 days for us and 4 for you. Enjoy Ensenada and Catalina. Don't spend too much $$ in Catalina, very overpriced but definately stop by the visitors center to see if their very inexpensive and very fun tours can accommodate your DH.

Post Edited (09-02-04 16:39)

Ecstasy - Ensenada 11/2003 & 2/2003
Spirit - Alaska 9/2003
Pride - Riviera 9/2004
Paradise - Baja 1/2006
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:34 PM
Paula D.

Hi Tori,

Thank you for that. I appreciate your response. We are so excited I can hardley breathe when I think about it.

Thanks for the heads up about the photo drops on formal night. If that is the only thing you can think of that we might have trouble with then we are better off than we thought it would be. I can just get some nice pictures elsewhere with my digital camera.

Thanks Again.

So excited,
Paula >
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Paula D.

Oh and Tori...you and you family and/or friends have a great time on the pride...where are you off to?
Old September 3rd, 2004, 11:22 AM
First Mate

We and our extended family recently returned from a week-long cruise on the Elation. MIL is disabled. Best advice I can offer is: make sure Carnival knows this in advance. As someone else mentioned, you want to make sure you get a handicapped-friendly room. Also -- and this is just what happened to us, I don't know if it always happens this way -- we got to the pier fairly early (were among the first 20 or so to arrive) and because my MIL was in a wheelchair she was taken to the very front of the line, as was the family member booked with her AND the family member that was going to push her wheelchair (because it was a bit much for my FIL by himself) and the person booked with the "pusher"! They were, literally, the first people on the ship.

There were several people in wheelchairs, as well as other disabilities, on our cruise and they all seemed to be having a great time! I hope you, all, do too!
Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Paula D.

Thank you all for the advise. Carnival is aware and we do have a handicap accessible room. Yes, I did hear before that people in wheelchairs get to go to the front of the line when boarding...what about when leaving the ship in the end?