Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default bringing bottles of wine on the ship????

did i just read on a post that you can bring a bottle of wine on the ship (up to 2 bottles)?? i never knew this. for real????

Old August 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM
sls

Default Re: bringing bottles of wine on the ship????

It will be in the cruise documentation. You can bring a small quanity. To some this means one bottle a piece to others it means one bottle a day.

sls
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

do you just carry it in your bags? that's a scary thought. i couldn't imagine a red wine bottle breaking. yikes!

do you tell them you are carrying it on with you? is it just for you to have in your cabin? i can't believe i've been on so many carnival cruises and never knew this. cool.

Old August 24th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Yeoman

hi kissell

i carried on two bottles of wine on board. it was in my carry on bag. they did not even bat an eye about it. it was the carnival spirit ship. in may i plan on taking a few bottles of wine and some soda as well. just dont put it in your non-carry on. it would be too risky to have a breakage and a mess. good luck.

Old August 24th, 2004, 06:43 PM
First Mate

When I talked with a Carnival rep, he stated that we could bring a few bottles on board
for our enjoyment. He stated that there would be a corkage fee if we wanted it served
in the dining room with dinner.
We plan to bring 3 bottles of wine and a few bottles of soda pop.
Happy Sailing..................
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:04 PM
sls

Yes, put it in your carry-on they won't say a thing.

sls
Old August 24th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Paula D.

Do you all really suggest bringing bottles of wine in your carry-on bag? I had read in previous postings to put it in your checked bags but to bubble wrap it to be safe. That was my plan for our cruise in 13 days...suggestion?
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Yeoman

I thought you could only bring wine if you were celebrating a special occasion? Have I been wrong all this time? Thanks for the advice.

Carnival Liberty
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

thanks for all of the info. cool!!

Old August 25th, 2004, 08:12 AM
sls

This is from the "welcome aboard" booklet:

LIQUOR AND BEVERAGE POLICY
Guests are prohibited from bringing alchoholic beverages on board. Fine wine or champagne may be brought on board ony during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charge should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room.

Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities, to be determined at the discretion of security and/or embarkation personnel will be confiscated and retained by Carnival until the cruise is completed.

Guests may purchase a varuety if beverages inboard the ship. Alcoholic beverages will not be solde or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship's gift shop or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

sls
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:28 AM
DUKE 42

On Paradise they opened our carry on bag and pulled out a bottle of wine, telling us they were checking for hard stuff so don't try and "smuggle " anything else on the ship.
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:29 AM
cruise'n

Default Re: Re: bringing bottles of wine on the ship????

I put rum in my bathroom checked bag. They didn't find it. I got lucky (for once), but I was taking a risk! Happy sailing!
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:55 PM
tvleaker

First of all keep in mind that the cruiseline makes a bundle on selling you drinks, so they WANT you not to bring anything with you. It is not etched in stone. I have been on 3 cruises in three years and have taken 3 or 4 bottles each time. I stuff half-bottles in my shoes and also bring a fifth of rum or bourbon in the plastic travel bottle. Never a problem. We spend plenty on booze on board, but like to have wine or cocktails in our room. I'll mix a drink and carry it around the ship in a plastic cup. No one really cares. Just be reasonable. Bringing a keg on board isn't a good idea...
Old August 25th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Miracle Cruiser

Default Re: Re: Re: bringing bottles of wine on the ship????

We took 6 bottles in 2 pieces of luggage. Plastic zip bags and bubble wrap.
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:09 PM
beckles

yell right
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:48 AM
First Mate

We took two bottles of wine, about 2 cases of Diet Coke, and plenty of bottled water on our carry-on on our last cruise (8/8/04-8/15/04). It wasn't red wine, or I'd have had a fit about hubby putting it in our checked luggage on the airline. We didn't purchase the Diet Coke or bottled water until we got into Texas. Since we flew in the day before sailing and had a rental car, we were able to stop at a Sam's Club on the way to Galveston and pick up the soda and water. Then we just packed those in a collapsible ice chest (it looks sort of like a backpack, but with luggage wheels and handle!). The only thing the people in security at Carnival asked about was whether or not there was ice in it (there wasn't at that point).

We asked our room steward to fill it up with ice once we got to our room, and had cold soda and water whenever we wanted it. We took the wine to the dining room; the corking charge isn't that much.