Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2004, 11:48 AM
First Mate

Default Help decide 8 vs 11 cabin all opinions welcome!

First time poster here,
We are planning our third cruise (second on Carnival Destiny) and in June 2001 stayed in a cabin level 8A (balcony- a must have ) since I have gotten what I believe is a great quote from Cruise Compete service the category 11 has reached an affordable budget of what we planned for a category 8.
*Can you please tell me if you feel a larger balcony and room size is worth the price difference? We are husband & wife traveling with a 14 year old boy. We loved the balcony on level 8 with its two sit up plastic chairs.
*Does the larger balcony size allow for a lounge chair?
*Is there a service level difference?
*Check in process faster?
Is an 8 versus 11 cateogry really seem so much bigger? My son actually didn't mind the upper pull down and has no opinion.
I know everyone values things at a different level however opinions are welcome. It is so hard to judge a cabin from a wideangle photo.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Help decide 8 vs 11 cabin all opinions welcome!

Cat 11 cabins are considerably larger. Though they are simply one larger room, the sitting area is quite a bit larger.... so if space is important, the Cat 11s are nice.

Cat 11 and 12 are entitled to Skipper's Club perks.. which basically give you priority embarkation and debarkation.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Buffet,

The balconies range in size on the 11s (if you are near the aft, for instance). But everyone I have seen is larger. I think the extra room would ocme in handy with your son ... lots less "excuse me's" to move about the cabin because they are wider.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old August 29th, 2004, 09:32 PM
teach819

We had the penthouse suite cat 12 on the Miracle and the veranda was very large. 2 lounge chairs, and a sit up chair. The room was very large with lots of closet space. We peeked into a cat 11 and it looked very large as well.
Old August 30th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Dynaribbon

Carnival Legend 1st time cruiser.
I booked a cat 8a, the most I could afford for our 1st cruise and honeymoon leaving NYC 9/20. I booked the best room I could afford then found this and a few other forums. I was never sorry I didn't overextend myself and go for a bigger room cause we just can't afford it. About 2 months ago my TA called and upgraded us to an 8g. I was very impressed. In NJ of late there have been alot of high lotteries and my fiancee and I joked the only things we'd change if we won was shrimp at the reception (inside joke) and upgrade to a suite. Well, my TA called TODAY and I was upgraded from an 8g to a cat. 11!!!!! Wow, how often does this happen? She said when I board I will get in the Skippers Club line.
They even gave me a room number, #6160. I was never dissapointed in my cat 8a and the upgrades have made our honeymoo so much more then we could possibly expect.
Wow, this is the best wedding gift I could ever imagine! I am SOOOOO excited today for SOOO many reason...2 weeks, 5 days till I get married and now this! WHOO HOO BABY!

I don't know how this fits into your question since I went a little off topic. Even with my upgrade (granted I haven't gone yet) I on't think it will matter other than space. It's my honeymoon...I plan to be maybe a little more occupied in my room then say a couple with a child but...I am freakin happy I got upgraded! Good luck to everyone, I hoppe you all get hat your dream!

Jen
Bride to be from EHT (NJ)

Live, Love, Laugh and Be Happy

Old August 30th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Buffetfan2004

Wow, that last one is a tough act to follow!

Yes, you'll appreciate the added room in the Cat 11. There is alternate seating in addition to the end-of-the-bed or your vanity area.

If you enjoy relaxing, spreading out or like "your space" you should go with the Cat 11.

BONUS: Balcony ... We agree, balcony is a must! Bigger is better, since you are going to have one - why not enjoy it. Yes, more furniture is possible on the 11's vs the 8's.

HOWEVER ... would you consider a stern wrap-around balcony Category 9 Upper deck 6, cabin #6346 or #6373. These offer an advantage of being able to view to the side as well as astern. They are 2x or 3x the size of a cat 11 balcony, just a thought..

Willy
Old August 30th, 2004, 11:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Help decide 8 vs 11 cabin all opinions welcome!

I am still trying to get some new quotes. My best one evaporated before her eyes she said (hmmm.) Anyhow I have viewed the cat 9's and the balconies are quite envious. However, I am one who gets motion sick in the backseat of a car driving 3 blocks. Would the back of the ship be more motion sick prone? I plan on Bonine of course, and have tried the patch successfully but disliked extreme drymouth. Although some on this board would say just drink more. ;-)
Thanks for input will keep viewing the board and updating status.
Old August 31st, 2004, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Buffetfan2004, I've heard that the aft and fore of the ship tend to have more movement than midship. I've stayed aft, and midship, and noticed no difference in movement.

Dynaribbon, I really enjoyed reading your post. Your excitement just oozed out. Kudos to you. I noticed you're from EHT, NJ. We're neighbors since I live in Pleasantville, NJ.
Old September 1st, 2004, 04:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Dynaribbon
Default Re: Re: Help decide 8 vs 11 cabin all opinions welcome!

Ok, so if my cabin is kinda towards the front.....hehehhehe (evil laugh)...I will be on my honeymoon so if the boats-a-rockin.....might not be a hurricane (wink).
Yes I am very excited because of the upgrade, because my wedding is 18 days away, because I like talking to you guys from all over, especially people from the Atlantic City area. I am just so freakin happy!!!!

Jen
Bride to be from EHT (NJ)
Old September 1st, 2004, 07:44 PM
bridget

If you can afford cat 11 do it. The rooms are very big and the priority embarkation is wonderful.. We were in cat 12 this summer on Imagination and we just went flying through the embarkation. It saved us hours and hours of waiting in line. And the balcony was great too and the room very large. I have gone on many cruises and have never had a suite or balcony before and now I don't know if I could go without one. But the best thing was the priority boarding. Have fun.
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Having an inside cabin on my first cruise was fine with me, but when I decided to go with an outside cabin on my second cruise, I vowed to myself that I would never go back to an inside cabin. If, and when, I decide for a balcony, I'm afraid I'll never go back to just a cabin with a window.