Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:51 AM
Sarasvatic

Default Carnival vs. Royal Carribean???

Can anyone offer some advice? We cruised on Royal Carribean's Monarch of the Seas last year to Ensenada and LOVED IT! I mean everything about it...very organized, great food, great service, great kid's club for my daughter, never feeling crowded...even my in-laws couldn't spoil it for me. We'd like to do a 7 day Mexican Rivera next summer, but Royal Carribean moved their 7-day ship to the Alaska circuit. Carnival Pride is doing the 7-day trip, but I'm afraid to spend a lot of money and be disappointed. Has anyone cruised both? How do they compare?

Thanks,

Sarasvatic
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:02 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Carnival vs. Royal Carribean???

Hi..
Went on a Carnival Victory in May to the Western Caribbean with my kids...had a ball..great piano bar...lots of fun. I've also been on Adventure of the Seas to the Southern Caribbean with a bunch of my girlfriends...It was fun but no great piano bar...lots of older cruisers. Hubby and I are cruising in November on the Destiny. Can't wait...it's his first cruise. As the TV ads say, "Fun. Fun, Fun" on a Carnival cruise.
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

I cant comment on RCCL but I love Carnival Corp. They own all these other companies which are of different classes and styles yet you still sail with the same company. That what we do Princess is more like RCCL so we sail Princess. But you should try Carnival and the Pride is part of the Spirit Class. Very Popluar. Go for it you will love it.

Queen Mary 2 Independence Day Cruise

Coral Princess
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:35 AM
Admiral

I think you will be very pleased with the Pride. They demographics are simuliar but the cabins on CCL are larger and we like the food and entertainment much better on CCL. Service is less formal and more personal on CCL and more white glove on RCI
Jim

Old September 1st, 2004, 11:43 AM
First Mate

I have traveled on both RCCL and Carnival. I found carnival to be more fun the atmosphere is different than on RCCL. I'm in the age group of 40-50 I felt that you needed to be older on RCCL. When I cruise I want to feel like a queen and that is how I feel on Carnival. RCCL was clean and nice but the fun was missing for me. I'm not a big party person. But I do like to have a good time. Carnival all the way for me.

Post Edited (09-01-04 10:45)

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:50 PM
DENISE H

i have been on only one cruise so far it was the carnival triumph i was surprise
how much fun it was the food was great and the shows were fun i enjoy it so much
that my mom and i will sailing on the triumph i cant wait to show my mom how much
fun it is
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I've cruised both Carnival and Royal Carribean. I prefer Carnival for the size of the rooms, the food and entertainment, not that any of that was bad on RC, just better on Carnival.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old September 1st, 2004, 06:59 PM
DUKE 42

I've cruised both RCL and Carnival and if the price was the same I'd take RCL anytime. Why? Carvinal ships are every bit as nice and the night life and entertainment is better but Carnival seems to attract a lower class of people. I never saw any pierced jewerly on any cruise line but Carnival and a lot of passangers seemed to flaunt tounge studs eyebrow rings, belly button rings ect. I suspect the lower price attracts a wider variety of guests. I am booked on Carnival next month sinse I believe their deals are outstanding.
Old September 1st, 2004, 08:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Amadna
Default Re: Re: Carnival vs. Royal Carribean???

there is nothing wrong with piercings..
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:11 PM
Beginner

its takes a low class preson to even say anything like that
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:38 PM
misssea

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival vs. Royal Carribean???

I am not a fan of piercings, all that I have pierced are my ear lobes but to say that people with piercings are low lifes is very stereotypical and close-minded. I wouldn't think Janet Jackson is a low life and we all know what she has pierced. Also, I am a dentist and see a lot of people with tongue piercings (much to our dismay due to complications of having one), old ones, young ones, rich ones and poor ones. Cruises are mostly what you make of them, regardless of the 2000 other people on board!
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:18 PM
clayb

themomtk, please try another RCI cruise. I had friends that just got off of the Rhapsody last week and they said the same thing. Do the newer RCCL ships. Also the newer Carnival ships. They seem to put more experienced staff on the newer ships......

later,
clay
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:25 AM
DUKE 42

misssea: Janet Jackson is a real role model? Yea like Bill Clinton.
eric: Don't you think piercing of certain body parts is not just a fashion statement but rather a political one instead? How about tattos. Jailhouse versions are definitely making a statement but a cute little butterfly on a girls shoulder is attractive and makes no statement.. imo
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:31 PM
misssea

Duke,
I never said that Janet Jackson was a role model, but she isn't considered by most as a "low life" and believe me, I'm NOT one of her fans. Serena Williams has a belly button ring and to some, she may be considered a role model. I'm sure there are many people in the world who have piercings that are not low lifesand some who may be role models.. Lets stick to the story and not get off on tangents.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:15 PM
Tom45

I have done 1 RCCL and 15 or so Carnival cruises, both are great.
10 day or more you get slower pace and older cruisers
short cruises are pary boats.
but a long rccl and a long carnival cruise, on boats the same age you will see little diff
Old September 3rd, 2004, 09:20 PM
First Mate

Thanks Clay,
I'm sure we will go on another RCL. I travel with a group and they are looking a Hawaii.
I think that will be RCL. I do hope it will be different. I guess it is like they say you will always remember your first cruise. So now I try to compare them all to the first one lol.
It is fun and relaxing just to go cruise. But my favorite is Carnival.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old September 6th, 2004, 04:47 PM
spike

I've been on RCCL Voyager of the Seas and several CCL ships (Triumph, Legend). I think RCCL Voyager class ships have the most to do on board (prominard mall, ice skating, rock climbing wall, miniture golf, roller blading.....). The CCL ships are comparable in room size, food, lounge intertainment. Still, I find there is less to do on board CCL if you like the RCCL activities mentioned above.
Poesonly, the CCL ships are less expensive than a comparable RCCL Voyager class ship, and no one takes a cruise so they can get a free round of miniture golf in.
If they were the same price, I would pick RCCL over CCL in a heart beat.
Old September 6th, 2004, 09:09 PM
First Mate

We have done both. One ship was l4 years old (Sovereign) and the Conquest (Carnival) is only going on two years. I think they both have advantages. My husband thought Carnival's food was better but we thought Royal (Sovereign) had more activites going on during the day. On the last night of the Conquest, there was hardly anything going on. Kind of boring that night.
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:21 AM
First Mate

We've been on 9 Carnival Cruises and 1 Royal Carribean cruise....and although the Pride may not be quite as grand as the RCCL ship you were on before I can not imagine your being disappointed or feeling as if your money was wasted. We travel the Mexican Riviera on the Elation right before the Pride took over the route and the cruise was one of our favorites. I'm looking forward to doing it again one day!
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Passenger

I've been on one RCL and 4 Carnival and a cruise on the Glory in 2 weeks. I prefer Carnival, because I feel its a better value, the ships are in a better condition, and the food was better.
I've cruised on the Pride and its a great and beautiful ship. Take it and enjoy!
Old September 9th, 2004, 02:33 PM
saleah

Hi,

I JUST cruised with the Carnival Triumph for a vacation with my little sister. IT WAS HORRIBLE. The ship was old, the service was poor and Carnival is very money hungry. I too have cruised with Royal Carribean on the Voyager of the Seas for my honeymoon and we enjoyed it immensely! They treated us like royalty. I was expecting the same from Carnival but was very disappointed. Because of Hurricane Frances we spent two extra days out to sea and all of the passengers needed to reschedule there flight plans. Carnival did not accomodate us at all. They nickel and dimed us for every charge, they even charged us to call our airlines to make flight arrangements home when it was established that they would not assist us in any way with the tedious process. They charged $2.99 a minute to use the phone (a friend of mine was on the phone with her airline for 40 mins getting her flight rescheduled - you do the math). I was lucky enough to have my husband at home who arranged our flight home.

I would seriously reconsider traveling with Carnival and stick to the best, Royal Carribean. Any more questions, please feel free to e-mail me.
Saleah
Philadelphia, PA
Old September 9th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

What does a piercing have to do with the quality/class of people? Go back to sleep.

Back to the subject, I prefer RCCL cruises. There's lots to do for everyone in the family.

Post Edited (09-09-04 14:31)

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old September 12th, 2004, 12:21 PM
pg

missea, sorry I do consider Janet Jackson a total low life, I guess it depends on a persons value system.