Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:34 PM
amc800

Default Private vs. Extended Balcony

I've been reading through the posts and saw some good comments on whether a private balcony is truly private or not. Now I'm hoping to find out some info on the extended balconies (specifically talking about Carnival Spirit, but I know many of the ships have the same layout).

How extended are these balcony's? An extra foot? Three feet?

I'm trying to get a feel of wether I should lean towards the extra room on the balcony or more of a private one. There are a few "private & extended" balcony rooms on the ship, but they're nestled in right against the elevators.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Private vs. Extended Balcony

I have to say WE THOROUGHLY enjoyed the private balcony----hope it was private!!! Deanna
Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:45 PM
Yeoman

Both of the balconies are "PRIVATE". The extended bacony is just as private as the "private balcony" just larger. You will not loose any privacy if you choose the extended. They all have frosted dividers between the balconies. No balconies are shared. The extended balconies are about 20 square feet larger in size, and to me it is worth it. Hope this helps.

Carnival Liberty
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are on the Spirit going out of San Diego in February. We chose cabin 8234 which is on the Panorama deck. It is a cat 8I cabin, however the balcony looks to be aprox. three time larger than the other extended balcony cabins and the price is the same. The balcony even looks longer than the cat 9's which are much more expensive and are located in the same location. There are three of these 'extra long' balcony cabins on several of the decks and they are by the aft elevators. I can live with a smaller room, but the bigger the balcony the better for us!

Hope this helps!

-Vikki
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:30 PM
Yeoman

If you look at th photo I have a link to below, you can see where your cabin would be and yes, they do look quite large. Just like the cat 11 suite in the back hae balconies 3 times as large as the cat 11 suite in the middle, but they are still the same price. You just get lucky if you are able to book one. We have cat 8c, and our rooms are a little bit larger than the rest of the balcony staterooms. Same price though. Anyway, Enjoy your enormous balcony, and here is the link. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...99783813BAjVbo

Carnival Liberty
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Private vs. Extended Balcony

We were on the Pride last march and had a cat 11 suite aft (8268) and your are right, those corner balconies are huge. I think that is what spoiled us for wanting a larger balcony. The people next to us who also had a cat. 11 and a much smaller balcony could not believe that they were the same price. There was only one very small privacy issue back there. If you were standing by the railing, the people on the lido deck above could see you. Actually that turned out to be kind of fun as we made alot of friends of people who were very curious as to what type of cabin had such a large balcony.

Thanks for the link!

-Vikki
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:10 PM
amc800

Thanks everyone for your replies!!! I think I need to clarify myself about which "extended balconies" I were refrring to. I was not speaking of the wrap around balconies (they do appear quite larger). I was speaking of the difference between normal category 8I (extended blacony - such as romm #8227 for example) or category 8H (private balcony).

After some additional research, it the 8I's apear to be 2 ft longer. Once again, thank you for your responses. fitzla, thank you for your pictures.

Adam
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am curious as to where you are reading about a "private balcony" on the Spirit. I have only seen Balcony/Extended Balcony/or Deluxe Balcony in reference to the Spirit and Spirit Class Ships. I have heard that some of the Princess ships have a tier pattern design which leaves several of the balcony rooms exposed to those above. As far as I remember from being on the Pride which is a Spirit class ship, almost all of the balcony rooms are private except for the above mentioned aft which has very minimal exposure to the people above.

Hope this helps!

-Vikki
Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:28 PM
amc800

Hi Vikki,

What I'm referring to as "private" is probably just a regular balcony. Carnival distinguishes between 2 main types: private and extended. The "private" ones are the ones that jut out so the neighbors off to the side back look back ino towards them. Sounds like I have everyone confused. Sorry Thanks for all of the great responses.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:39 PM
First Mate

We had a balcony on the Aft of our last cruise. they balcony is tiered if you stand at rail you can look up and visit with the people above but if you step in no one can see you.
We have now booked our 2 nd aft balcony. They are woderful. If going in a group we try to book rooms above each other kinda cooll

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:31 PM
TeriM48

Extended balconey are fantastic!!! We are going again, Thanksgiving week, on Conquest and have Cat 9A 6th deck, best seat in the house.
Old September 6th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Couldn't agree more.

You'll enjoy the added space to strech out and the opportunity to feel like you're splurging without spending a penny more.

Enjoy, but, just remember, you'll never wan't a regular balcony again!

P.S. pack a 36" - 48" bungee cord to hold the balcony door open at night so you can hear the swish and swoosh of the sea as you cruise to your next destination ... very romantic.

Willy
Old September 7th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Lenda

On any of these extended cabins (except for the aft cabins), is it possible to catch some rays on them? thanks! :-)
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Yeoman

Not sure how many rays you will be able to catch on them. They all seem to be covered with the balconies above. I know on our ship (The Pride) we are in the front on deck 5 and our balcony extends out a little further, but I am not sure if we will get sun or not. I hope so. If not, many more places to catch some rays. Have fun!

Carnival Liberty