Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tips wanted please! First time cruiser!

Hey everyone...Just booked my first cruise for the January 9th Western Carribean cruise on the Valor !!! SO excited!
I'd love to get any and all info from anyone who has been to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize and Isla Roatan. What are the "don't miss" excursions to take in?
Also, any feedback or advice from all you past schooled cruisers would be SO much appreciated! There are 7 of us going and a few have been saving their pennies for quite some time to be able to go so stretching the $'s are very important!

Thankyou!!!
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to TxStarCruiser
Default Re: Tips wanted please! First time cruiser!

Hi!

We have been on Carnival before a bunch of times and Carnivals the BEST EVER!!
We have been to Cozumel,Belize,Progresso,& Playa del Carmen,But we are wanting to go to Grand Cayman and the ports yall are going to!!

Cozumel is really fun!!There are tons off stuff to do!!our next cruise in Nov. we are doing the Eco jeep and snorkel..\

well we made it to belize but did not make it off the ship..they had this strike but that another story!

anyother questions just ask!!!!!

Rhapsody,Carnival Jubilee,Carnival Celebration,Carnival Elation 7-18-25,2004,Carnival Ecstasy Nov.11,2004!!
Old September 4th, 2004, 01:50 AM
venice

welcome to cruising..you might want to read 3-5 months of older posted threads to gain lots of suggestuins
Old September 4th, 2004, 05:18 AM
First Mate

In Cozumel..SEA TREK HELMET DIVING and in Grand Cayman.. STINGRAY CITY SANDBAR
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:41 AM
here we go

Grand Cayman---Captain Marvins Stingray City.......THE BEST We have done this excursion w/ them twice now. I Love Them!!!!!

Belize---X-Stream Cave Tubing!!! We did it last year....THE BEST!!!!!

Bring a nightlight if you have an inside cabin......It's pretty dark in there.
Old September 4th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Hi Colleen, We are doing the same ship&itinerary but 2 weeks later. There is lots of info on this board and under Destinations and other categories. In Grand Cayman I do think you have to do the Stingray sandbar thing:do it with one of the reputable private companies:Sotos, nativeway,Cpt.Marvins. It is less money than the ships' and less people on the excursion. They often have 2 times for the tours:morning or afternoon.
Coz:we are just going to probably beach it and maybe a bit of snorkeling and some trinket/souvenir shopping.
Bel:want to snorkel, but cavetubing sounds very interesting too!
Roatan:the canopy tour/ziptrek sounds interesting;or snorkeling?
There are so many choices!! We,too, are watching our money-but remember:you do not want to scrimp for something you 'might' only do once in your life!(altho.I doubt it!!)
Read these boards and ask questions!! Have a great cruise. Oh yes,if you need a hotel the night before in Miami:I am planning on using Priceline to save $$.
From Brenda in Vancouver, Canada

Old September 5th, 2004, 10:13 AM
First Mate

We have been to Cozmuel and Grand Cayman. We just went shopping in Cozmuel but found the nicest items right at the dock. I wouldn't say they were the cheapest but better "nicer" clothes. I can't remember the name of the store that we got some clothes from but I remember that it was a large one. There aren't many large one right at dock though. In Grand Cayman we took the Soto Stingray Tour. You should reserve in advance though. It isn't a big boat.

Any other questions, ask away.
Old September 5th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Beginner

Paradise Beach in Cozumel and of course, Carlos & Charlies.

X-Stream Cave Tubing in Belize

NativeWay sting ray snorkely in Georgetowne, Grand Cayman

Santee Wellness Center for a massage and day of relaxation in Roatan

X-Stream, NativeWay and Stantee Wellness Center can all be found on the Internet.
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:17 PM
chefkel22

Hi Colleen:

Welcome to the world of cruising. We too just took our first cruise (april 04) and just loved it. So much so, we have booked yet another for this coming april.

We did visit Grand Cayman and Cozumel with Carnival (Sensation). Carnival is awesome. We did tons and still did not get to everything. Took our kids and hardly ever saw them.

One tip for on the ship - eat, eat, and eat. There is so much food available to guests. And don't forget to order room service (included so enjoy).

We did the Stingray Sand Bar tour in Grand Cayman with Nativeway. They were fantastic. Even recommended them to friends and they too loved them. Small group, more personal. The guys went out and found certain stingrays and showed you how to hold, pet, etc. Nicer tour.

Cozumel was fun. We shopped with the cruise shopper (lots of spots not of interest to us). Decided wouldn't do again if we went. Right at the pier there is lots of shopping. Friends visited the beach (the free one) and said it was great.

Good luck and enjoy. Any other questions, give a shout.
Old September 6th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Yeoman

Colleen,
Welcome to cruising ! Cruising is very much like Lay's Potatoe Chips ! "Once you've had one, you got to have another, and another" ! And its so true! The atmosphere is wonderful,and your waited on and spoiled for a week. I can only imagine what a 21- day cruise would do to you ! lol !
Ok,I always like to book my excursions through the ship. Its probadly higher than going on your own, but I know if something happens, (Flat tire, bus breaks down, ect. )the ship will wait on me and the other cruisemates. Yes, you can save some money by doing your own excursions. But I personally like to go through Carnival just for that one reason. Also, If the wife and I are going shopping, yes, we'll go on our own.We got our favorite shops we like to visit each time we are there.

Grand Cayman- You can tell that the Sting Ray and Island Tour is very popular.If you decide to do this, book it early ! This will book up quickly.
My wife loves to shop there too. You have several, several stores right there at the pier. You could spend a day shopping there with no problem.At least she can anyway !
You have the City of Hell and Turtle farm tour. Thats always good for once. We sent post cards home from Hell ! !

Cozumel- Go do the Dolphin Swim and Encounter at the Chaknuunab(misspelled) Park. Do the swim if you can. Its alittle pricey but its wonderful.My wife loved it so much, she came home and redecorated our bathroom with all kinds of dolphin what-knots ! lol !
Of coarse theres Carlos & Charlie's ! One of the most popular places to go.
There's Fat Tuesday's at the end of the pier on the left. They have good food and great drinks.
There is so much to there and at other ports as well.Look on the enternet to view your choices, and print them out for future reading. Also once you board the ship,every evening, you will be given a caper (news letter) that will show you whats going on for the next day. You will also have shore excursion talks you can go to.
No matter what you choose, they will all be good choices. You are going to have a ball !
No worries mate ! Give us a review when you return !

Happy sailing;
david
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Tips wanted please! First time cruiser!

TY TX!

Appreciate any and all tips given! Enjoy your next cruise in November!!
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

TY Venice...gave been doing just that since Friday evening! Lots of great stories and tips on this board. TY!
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

TY for the response! Stingray city is DEFINATELY on our 2-do list!!
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

TY...made a note of the night-lite tip. Shooting for an ocean view with a prayer thrown in on an upgrade to balcony!! Might as well DREAM big! Thanks again!
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

TY Brenda,

I thought the cave tubing in Belize sounded great too! Put that on our list.

Am saving every extra penny for this so want to make the most of every port!!
Thanks again for your input and have a great trip yourself!!
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

TY Lizzy...will definately be doing the Stingray tour...in the process of checking out the different tour guides to book through. TY for the infor and tips!
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thankyou C-Mamma!

What can you tell me about Carlos and Charlies? I've seen it mentioned in quite a few posts.
TY for your tips...it's much appreciated!!
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

chelkef22,

TY for the tips! SO appreciated. Will be checking out Nativeway for sure!

Enjoy your next cruise in April!!
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thankyou David!!

I've been spending quite alot of time here reading old posts and learning, learning. learning!

TY so much for all your info!! Will be writting down the dolphin swim FOR SURE!
Would so LOVE that! CAN'T WAIT!!

TY again!!
Old September 6th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Janie Doe

Colleen, I've been to both Cozumel and Grand Cayman...

Beaches-Of course 7 Mile Beach in Grnad Cayman is the best, and I found Sancho's Beach in Cozumel to be really nice, and kind of homey.

Shopping- Don't even bother in Grand Cayman, everything is waaay overpriced. Cozumel has some great little finds right off the boat

Drinking- Carlos and Charlie's of course is a must, but also make sure you hit up Fat Tuesdays right at the dock and grab a 190 Octane in a yard glass for me :o)

Kelly

Sensation 9/01
Legend 04/03
Victory 06/04
Norwegian Dawn 03/04
Carnival Legend 09/28/04
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Kelly/David

Hi,

How did you like the Elation? We are goin 4/10/2005. Thanks, Kelly