Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:24 AM
fireman's Wife

Default Panic Attack!!!!!!!!!

We were suppose to fly our on this Sunday and stay over night to board the Fascination on Monday Sept 6 at 4:00 at the Port of Miami. US AIR cancelled this flight for Sunday because of FRANCES. The next flight I could get was Monday landing in Ft.Lauderdale
at 12:15. I called Carnival and they stated no changes yet and that Fascination will be leaving on time at 4 however my TA called yesterday and someone from Carnival told her the Fascination would sail later than 4:00. I am worried we will not make the ship because of the delays in air on Monday. Carnival said that I should be OK as long as we land in FT lauderdale by 1:30 they stated they have a shuttle bus but I am taking a Taxi and plan to tell him to step on it!!! Any suggestions, please help me.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Panic Attack!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the same boat. My flight was to leave today and we were staying two nights waiting for the Fascination on Monday. Flights from Chicago have also been cancelled so I' m concerned that I won't get down there in time for the cruise. I hope it leaves at least 2 hours late because it will give those who have to fly time more time to make the cruise.

Any advice from you experienced cruisers?? This is my first one.
Old September 4th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think everyone is going to have problems getting down to South Florida. I am scheduled to be on this ship and have had my flight changed 3 times now. I may end up driving down I-95 after the storm blows over.
Old September 4th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Shannan

I know how you feel. I am scheduled for the Destiny out of Puerto Rico tomorrow. The cruise will leave on time, but I can't get there because my connecting flight is through Ft. Luaderdale. The haven't cancelled the flight yet though! Why won't they if the airport is closed? I can't rebook until they cancel it and it hasn't been done yet. Was hoping to leave this afternoon for a hotel by Detroit airport. Now I just sit here and wait, and check the airline website every 15 mintues.

Not a fun situation, especially when you have kids and they are sooooo ready to go! It is so hard!

Good luck to everyone! I hope that we all make it! We have all waited so long.

Shannan
Old September 4th, 2004, 04:36 PM
BJKeen

Firefighter's Wife,
How are you?

Yeah, the cruises are a little delayed due to the fact that we have a huge Hurricane named Frances knocking at our door. The weather is gradually getting worse. I'm thankful that I am not on the East Coast.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old September 4th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I would not recommend even trying to drive to Florida to try and get to your cruise.

First of all, Frances is moving slower than predicted....do you really want to try and drive through a hurricane?

Second, there is a massive shortage of gas in Florida.........and even if you could find some, will there be electricity to run the pump to put the gas in your tank?

Three, not to sound insensitive here, but Floridians who have been affected by Frances will be more concerned with trying to find out if their homes and businesses survived. The last thing they need in the few days after Frances leaves and the cleanup begins are people more worried about their vacation and trying to get there - when compared to what they are personally going through, I can understand that sentiment.

Fourth, even if you CAN get to your port of departure, will the Coast Guard even have opened the port to allow ships back in?

My best advice - and if I were in your position I woud be frantic, but would realize there is really nothing I can do about it - is to keep calling the cruise line and see if there is any chance your cruise will sail. I hope you took out travel insurance for trip interruption!

Old September 4th, 2004, 05:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Panic Attack!!!!!!!!!

Shannon, Can you change your flight I flew from St.Louis to San Juan?

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old September 4th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Passenger

i too will also be on the same cruise & flight as "Shannan". I called spirit this morning and cancelled that flight & rebooked thru delta. Cleve-atlanta-sanjuan. We had to spend a little more money than expected. Just checked the spirit website, Flight has been cancelled, in fact all flights into and going to FLorida has been cancelled.
Good luck to everyone that will/would be sailing this weekend.

Carnival Destiny 9/5/04
Carn
Old September 5th, 2004, 06:44 AM
bjkeen

The wind has really picked up in Tampa this a.m. If I were you I would stay away from Florida until after the Hurricane passes. We are going to have a mess to clean up in the sunshine state. I doubt the cruise ships will come anywhere near here until it is safe. Today, it is not safe.
Old September 5th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Beginner

Don't book future cruises during hurricane season -- late July thru early Nov.
Old September 5th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Cruisingrandma

I feel so bad for all of u waiting to get on your cruises. But I agree with Cruisin'Momma... We dont cruise in Hurricane season. We do pay a little more for our cruises. But we never have to worry about this problem. We alsays cruise in April .. May.. Hope u all have a great vacation cruise .. Hope all the Florida residents are safe. My grand daughter lives in Florida. i worry about her too. She is up in the panhandle.
Old September 5th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Admiral

We've always booked cruises during hurricane season and have never had a problem. Guess it's just the luck of the draw. Insurance is a good thing, especially during this time of the year.

Good luck to you...I know it's really disappointing, but as Lisa mentioned, other people there have a lot more to worry about than making a cruise....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 5th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Beginner

Looks like Carnival finally made a decision about the Fascination. It will now depart at 10:30pm instead of 4:00pm. My flight gets in at 2:11 so this REALLY works for me. See you all there!
Old September 6th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default Re: Re: Panic Attack!!!!!!!!!

My heart goes out to all of you on the cruise waiting thing but believe me I live in Tarpon Springs and today (Monday )is worst than any hurricane day. My lanau just got all ripped up by trees and my new home roof is blowing on the top with shingle coming loose trees are falling at an incredible speed. This is worst than the hurricane. Stay Safe and my thoughts and prayers for you all. We are located an hour and half from Port Canveral and 45 mins from the port in Tampa. Ro

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 6th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default Re: Re: Re: Panic Attack!!!!!!!!!

Shoot I am so upset over these winds and the damage they are doing after the hurricane I can't type or spell correctly. Forgive me on the prev. posting. Ro

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am in the middle of the state (near Orlando) and we got a double wammy in the past 3 weeks with Charley and now Frances. I understand the frustration that everyone that does not live in FL is having due to the hurricane, but please be patient with everything. This hurricane was the strangest one we have had ever. It wouldn't leave! It still isn't really gone because we are having tornados. We just had one go thru the back part of our property yesterday. SCARY!

I would highly suggest not driving into FL. We don't have alot of gas and alot of areas are without power. Not to mention the debris that is all over. Please just try and get a flight in if possible, it is safer for you and leaves the needed gas for those who really need it to get home or to run generators.

Whatever you do, be safe and hopefully enjoy your cruise.

Karen