Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:59 PM
patticake

Default rollaway bed in three person room

just booked cruise for july of 2005 on the victory in western carribean. nine of us going. there will be my daughter and two children ages 11 and 5 in one cabin. my ta told me that carnival said they will bring in a rollaway bed for the third person(one of the kids) each night and take out int he morning. i asked her why they could not give us a room that sleeps three people with three permnaent beds and she said they do not have rooms like that. any input on this from anyone experiencing this. also one of the other rooms is sleeping our other daughter, husband and two kids in a four person cabin. that cabin has permanent sleeping beds for four and is called a quad. i was wondering when a couple go on a cruise and take one child with them, do they always just bring a rollaway bed in ? do they not have cabins that accomadate a family of three without using a rollaway bed? help me on this one. i am sure we will do just fine the way it is, but was just wondering. patticake
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Passenger

Default Re: rollaway bed in three person room

The travel agent is wrong. Carnival does have rooms that sleep 3 or 4 in permanent type beds. Some have a fold-out sofa, or a bed that lowers from the ceiling (called an "upper"). Go to the Carnival website and you can look at the deck plans of all of there ships. Icons identify the different sleeping arrangements.
Also, after checking out the deck plans, it might be easier to book directly with Carnival over the phone. You can explain what you are looking for and they will make you happy. You can even specify the exact cabin you want. I've booked both ways and I am much happier going direct.
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Janie Doe

Your TA is wrong...I sailed the Sensation with my parents three years ago. There were three of us in an interior cabin and they had two upper berths (kinda like bunk beds that can be bolted up when not in use) in addition to the two twin beds below them.
I sailed the victory with my parents last year and we used a rollaway bed, and it was very cramped, however, my aunt, uncle and cousins stayed in a room down the hall with two lowers and two upper berths. It can be done!!! Enjoy your cruise
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:47 PM
First Mate

Your TA doesn't know what she/he is talking about. Thats not true. There are cabins with 1 or 2 upper beds. If you go to the Carnival website. Click on "Fun Ships" then "Carnival Victory" then "Deck Plans" and you can click on any deck and you will see exactly what the deck has. Clicking on a deck with staterooms you will see there are stars or dots on some of the specific cabins. Any cabin that has a single dot, has 1 upper bed. So you can do what hunkalove suggested or, you could also just book a specific cabin with your TA. (one that has an upper bed)

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Passenger

On the Sensation four years ago we had 3 in a room, me, my mom and my friend. We had an oceanview cabin with two stationary twin beds along two walls and a rollaway that was left in the room for the week. I understand that it is now a fire code violation to have the rollaways in the room all the time and that on the newer ships there are no rollaways at all. We've since traded up to balcony cabins for four. Two twin beds, a fold down sofa which sleeps only one and an upper bunk over the sofa that comes down from the ceiling. We always ask the steward to leave the upper bunk down for the week. That way everyone has access to their bed for sleeping or lounging during the day. Check out Staterooms.com or the Carnival brichure for more info on individual cabins.
Old September 9th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have never heard of having a roll away in a cabin. When I sailed in the 80's on the Mardi Gras and the Festivale they even had uppers and lowers back then on the older ships. I think your TA is mistaken. Go to the Carnival website and check out the cabins there.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 9th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We were on the Inspiration in April and our three children were in a room with two twins and a rollaway. The rollaway was left in the room all week.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

sailed on destiny with 3 folks.....2 beds and 1 upper bunk.

get on that TA, patticake!!!

Old September 9th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Passenger

Hi there...

The t/a is neither right nor wrong...

it's true there are some ships that have no triple occupancy inside, while they have some outside and with a balcony, as opposed to older ships where they usually have triple occupancy with or without rollaway beds... now on the Victory, there are no triple occupancy inside, unless you have a rollaway bed. there are insides for quad occupancy, though, and SOMETIMES you can book a quad occupancy with three pax inside... Carnival is very nice when they let t/a's book those...

Now the only problem with this is that sometimes Carnival must imposed a "maximum occupancy restriction" on some ships, to limit the number of people in each cabins to the maximum occupancy, no less (unless it's a single occupancy). Now that could be what's happening on this sailing... then your t/a was right in saying there are no triple cabins available...

My advise to you would be to verify again with your t/a, just in case the reservation agt at Carnival was wrong and that there are some tripl occupancy available, with two lower beds that can convert and two upper... you never know, and if there are some available, they can switch your cabins without any penalties, since you're sailing in 1 year !!! Either way, enjoy your cruise !

Hope it helps !

:-)
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bad TA - Carnial, in a cabin with 4 beds (two on the floor, two bunks which fold up through the day) will allow you to have a roll-a-way in the room too, to accommodate a 5th person in the room. I can't fathom 5 in a room - though maybe we'll do it next time just to save even more money on the cruise portion - a room which we didn't spend a great deal of time in anyhow) and allow more money for the excursions.

I was on the inspiration in August and we had 3 beds in each of our rooms - two on the floor and one on the wall - quite permanent to the set up of the room.
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Admiral

We had 5 people, 2 adults and 3 children, in a room twice on the Jubilee and we never felt crowded. The rollaway was put away during the day as were the top bunks. The window is so deep, about 2 feet, that our then 5 year old played and colored there. Another time, on the Inspiration, we didn't have a rollaway but a bed on the floor, like a trundle bed, the whole cruise. With experience, I would never accept that now. We paid for 3 people so I want a room ready for 3 people, ie: 2 twins as a queen and an upper berth. Happy cruising

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 10th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Janie Doe

On the victory (WHICH I'VE SAILED)my family and I (3 of us) and my grandparents and cousin (3 of them) had rooms next door to one another. Both of our rooms used rollaway cots that were left there all week. Down the hall, my aunt and uncle and 2 daughters had a room with 2 upper berths. If it was a fire violation or not-we certainly slept that way for 5 days
Old September 11th, 2004, 10:20 AM
patticake

Default Re: Re: rollaway bed in three person room

thank you for all your input on three in a cabin with a rollaway bed. i am going to talk to ta on monday and question all these suggestions. i think one of the problems may be, which i failed to mentioned(sorry), is that with a request for a balcony cabin, wanting to have all the family together, center ship, and a particular deck, the choices for a room sleeping 3 was limited. my ta actually mentioned to me that choices for quad rooms was limited on this ship anyway. my concern now is the law that rollaway beds are prohibited now. i have received the confirmation for all three cabins, including the one with three in it. carnival is aware that we have three in this cabin. the rollaway bed will be used by a very small child. thank for all your help patticake