Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2004, 10:28 AM
patticake

Default dunns river falls ocho rios

as far as tour to this particular place in jamaica, is the procedure to get your own trans. to the falls and then buy entrance there. however with nine people in group including children, are there packages including trans. from ship dock to falls and entrance to climbing falls. and trans. back. also i having had a hip replacement, will not be climbing the falls with other eight in the group. can i still buy entrance in and watch or climb stairs(which i can do)? are there other inclusions in this package. looking for some good choices to book with. patticake ps we are going in july of 2005 so i have time to decide on this.
Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Default Re: dunns river falls ocho rios

Patticake,
After much researching (I thought) we signed up for the falls excursion with the cruise ship. I thought this would be an adventure and I know many will disagree with me, but this was not fun. You have to hold hands with each other and depend on one another. I was being pulled apart. The guy in front of me was busy with his 3 y/o daughter and hardly helped me up, finally leaving me to concentrate on her. They later told me if they had known how dangerous it was they wouldn't have done it with her.

A guide had to take over. My husband was behind me helping the older lady behind him, who was helping her husband, slowing the process so I was being stretched because the guide was pulling to go faster. The water is coming at your feet at about 30 miles/hr and you're trying to find footing. Not only is there your chain of humans but at least 5 other chains from other ships, independent tours and individuals who don't know what they're doing. We got to a plateau to rest. It is very hot and muggy and you get tired. I stepped aside and down I went into a 4 foot hole! You do NOT know where you're stepping. There is a very low overpass that many hit their heads on even with warning, then another break and the final climb is steeper. This is where the stairs to the top are and over half our group got out as did other groups. Yes is was fun and I am glad I tried it but it is dangerous and not "a ride". Water socs, old tennis shoes are a must. Some wore water sandals with good tire tread and did well.

The guides REMINDS you at the end of the climb to remember them (tips) and their partner who lugs everyones backpacks up to the top "demands" payment for his services.

Again, it is an rugged adventure which some enjoy. A few in our group chose to walk up the stairs and watch. These are steep and slippery too so be careful.

To the ones who liked this excursion, wonderful but it's not for everyone.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 11th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Admiral

I guess they should more properly warn you about the Falls. The climb is very difficult, although guides who help you are worth their weight in gold!

My husband & I chose not to climb the Falls, but enjoyed it just as much walking the stairway alongside the Falls. The scenery is very beautiful, very green and lush! You can get some great pictures....

Enjoy, and be careful!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:54 PM
bridget

It seems that every tour that leaves from the ship goes at some point to Dunns River Falls. We did the swim with the dolphins and would have been very happy to go back to the ship area after it but we were taken to DRF. I couldn't navigate the falls(too afraid ) but my daughters did it and had an ok time(I think they were tired). The sellers in the little vilage that you have to walk through on the way out were very intrusive and if you even glanced at something they followed you all over the place insisting that you buy it.
Old September 11th, 2004, 04:46 PM
darla morgan

We did Dunn River Falls--it is beautiful. Bring you water/aqua socks because if you don't, you must buy them there.

My husband had a large women behind him for part of the trip up the falls. Thank goodness she abanded the climb and took the stairs. He is a nice guy and was hauling her up the falls.

So know your physical limitations, but it is not that diffcult or steep.
Old September 11th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Look up Peat Taylor Tours. We are booking him and he is cheaper than the cruise ship. He takes you to the falls, to a beach, and shopping for 30 a piece. The bus is AC too I think.
Old September 11th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Admiral

"So know your physical limitations, but it is not that diffcult or steep"

I have no physical limitations and I still say it was difficult and it is a steep but gradual climb. With 5 different human chains climbing up different paths of the falls, everyone's climb experience is unique and different. We had 50% of our group leave halfway up because of heat and difficulty.

Planning ahead, we bought ours last year for $4 at Kmart at the end of last summer. But on our boat ride over you could rent water socs for $5 if you didn't have them.

And yes!!! the vendors are mean and rude. As I was walking around one nice lady said "come in and take your time and if you see something let me know", acknowledging how scary and rude the men were. I bought my coffee and t-shirt from her.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 11th, 2004, 08:10 PM
StaceySch

Peat Taylor is the way to go. He is awesome. He takes you to the Falls nice and early before the crowds show up. He is so awesome too with the whole tour. He sings and he takes you all over. In fact if you want to go somewhere special he will take you there too.
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:09 AM
pg

Well we thought the falls were fun fun fun, the best thing about Jamaica for sure! We didn't find it all that difficult or scary, I have to wonder at how fit some of the climbers are on this board. If you can't walk for 1/2 an hour at a good pace then you probably are not fit enough for the falls , time to get some training in !
As for the elderly, well obvoiusly it is not a good idea for them unless they are phsyically active and fit, even then I would think twice, one fall can be a major problem for them.

Our guide even stopped and let us " slide " down this water slide( over smooth rocks) I could have stayed there for awhile! as for the heat, well you are in water, get wet!

Anyone between the ages of 7 and say 60 should try them, but not if you are an unfit person, extremely overwieght , or very young ( under 7 or 8 is crazy) .

Old September 12th, 2004, 03:18 PM
kakarp

I never did the falls. BUT, There was a husband, wife and there special needs child in a wheel chair on our cruise last year. Very nice family and you could see the mother was very busy tending to their daughter. On our stop in Jamaica the father went on the Dunnís Fall trip. The next day on ship we saw a person (@ the time didnít know if it was male or female) with there head completely bandage. And very incoherent because the pain meds. Turns out the father had slipped on the rocks and taken a very bad fall. Didnít see much of him after that but, did see him on the pier the last day. Most of the bandages were off but he looked awful. If I do ever go to the falls Iíll take the stairs.
Old September 12th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: dunns river falls ocho rios

DRF is an adventure and should only be done by those that are at least somewhat healthy. Yes it is steep and yes it has slippery spots and small drop-offs. It is a natural waterfall! We have done DRF a number of times and have always had fun both using the ships tour as well as going there a couple times on our own. wear aquasocks, old sneakers, or watershoes. Better traction and much less chance of getting injuried. I am physically not in that great shape due to some crippling injuries but I have never had any real problems. You need to pick you path. Our kids, (20's) actually climbed up the center or the most difficult parts they could find. The 'Crafts Village' there is not very good and they are very hard sell, even more than those in the Straw Market downtown where we prefer to buy our treasures. Go with a good attitude and with your eyes open and your brain engaged and it is a great adventure.
Jim

Old September 12th, 2004, 07:42 PM
browezilla

JIm's note above is spot on. I've been there several times, and I've taken at least a total of 16 people there. It does requrie a decent amount of physical exertion and you must exercise caution, but anyone in reasonably good physical condition can navigate it. I wouldn't recommend climbing it for seniors, or the very young. I do recommend that they take the stairs to the side of the falls just to observe it. It is really beautiful. From the notes above, here are a few notes:
1) Excercise caution
2) Guides are not required, nor do you have to hold anyone's hand in a human chain. Personally I think this is more dangerous as it forces you into offbalance positions and usually drags down more than one person when someone stumbles. I have yet to hold anyone's hand on the ascent. I would recommend a guide to anyone that is not in good physical shape just so they can navigate you up the easiest path.
3) Peat Taylor is awesome, but he does not follow you into Dunn's Falls. He takes you to it and pays your admission, but he does not follow you into the park to serve as your guide.
4) To avoid the vendors at the exit, don't use the exit! Go out the entrance. When we last used Peat, I asked him to meet us at the entrance as we would not be using the exit. You may be asked to not exit out the entrance, but do it anyway. They won't stop you.
5) Some sort of shoe with good traction in water is a must. Some of the rocks are very slippery with moss.

Cheers,
B