Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:31 AM
gmp2398

Default carnival legend

I just returned from a cruise on the Legend and was I disappointed. The food was terrible. It was very rich and had lots of fatty sauces. The service was bad. When we received the food, it was cold. I emphatically told the waiter to make sure the food was hot but to no avail. Criticism no. 2. The beds were COTS and were they lumpy. Each day I woke up with pains in my back.. Criticism No. 3. I was told that the entertainment was so so. Well it was a no no. The cruise director was dull and to put it bluntly the entertainmen was lousy. In June of this year, I took a cruise on the Dawn. On this ship I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the meals. The meals were excellent and would have gotten the approval of the American Heart Society. Getting back to the Legend. To disembark upon arrival to NY the system this ship uses is to let off first all passengers who couild carry off their luggage. The number of passengers going off was practically 7/8ths of the passengers. All those who couldn't manage carrying their luggage off ship were the last ones off. All in all considering how bad this trip was I would rate it an F-. Never again will I take a Carnival line cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver
Default Re: carnival legend

I dont know if we were on the same ship, I was on the Legend in December and it was nothing like you described. I have never tasted food as good as what we had!! It was always hot or cold (ice cream ). The waitstaff was wonderful to us and our kids. Our bed was very comfortable oh and how i miss being gently rocked to sleep. I didnt care for our cruise director either his name was Brett Allen but the assistant Chris i believe his last name was Jefferson was awsome!! He was even told of his promotion to cruise director during our cruise!! As for the entertainment I would have to rate it a 7 out of 10. We had a wonderful time on the Legend and I wouldnt hesitate to cruise on it again!!!

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old September 14th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

hmm...i've been on 12 carnival cruises and the food has always been great. there may have been one or two things that i didn't care for, but it was because i was trying something new & didn't care for it. i've never go on a cruise counting my calories or worring about eating anything rich though!

the beds have always been comfortable to me and if i ever went to a show that wasn't the best then i would just laugh at it and move on to something else. i love carnival and will always love carnival. i'm not a complainer though and don't look for things to
b**ch about. sorry you won't give carnival another shot. too bad.

Old September 14th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Janie Doe

I'm sailing the Legend again after first sailing it in 2003. I also recently (March) sailed on the Dawn and felt the Dawn paled in comparison to the Legend. As far as the food went, I kinda see things from a different perspective. I am a vegetarian (as is my boyfriend and alot of our friends) and it's hard to find mass produced food that can fit within our restrictions (no chicken broth bases, etc) While on the Dawn it was difficult if not impossible to find things we could eat besides Pasta with Marinara sauce and salad (contrary to popular belief, most vegetarians do NOT eat like rabbits-ha ha) and the only time veggie burgers were available was one day in the main dining room lunch. On Carnival However, our waiter (who unlike Dawns 'Freestyle Dining' a good idea, but disney has the best idea-float your waitstaff from resteraunt to resteraunt to ensure personal interaction) was awesome and constantly had something extra planned if we (get this!) Didn't like the vegetarian selection that came on the menu nightly!! As far as the grill food (we ate cheese sandwiches from the deli all week on the Dawn) Veggie Burgers are readily available on Carnival and they were excellent as well. (P.S. if it wasn't for the Onion Blossom at Salsa on the Dawn, the food there would've been a total bust). I seem to never sleep better than when on a Carnival cruise-the beds aren't too soft and aren't too firm and the bed linens are softer than imaginable, and I've always had the best cabin attendants (who will leave me cookies instead of mints because I'm really just a big kid! :o). We never even saw ours on the Dawn. The entertainment was also "Eh!" on the Dawn-IMHO-I've seen fantastic magic shows and great game shows on Carnival (participating in the reverse scavenger hunt is a must!) I have had Brett Allan as my cruise director and agree he was just OK, but the assistant cruise director totally picked up the slack and was awesome. The Dawn switched directors while we were on it and the guy taking over was really pretty good, full of energy.
Just giving another perspective on the situation, but I'll see for myself if things have changed for the worst in another 2 weeks to today.
My question for GMP- How were the ports of call and were you affected at all by the hurricanes???
Kelly

Sensation 09/01
Legend 04/03
Victory 06/03
Dawn 03/04
Legend 09/28/04
Old September 14th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Passenger

I too am a vegatarian and love the options that Carnival provides. I've cruised on other lines, and the choices are limited and usually not posted (you have to ask for something special to get it).
That's just one reason that keeps me coming back to Carnival. I also love the shows, larger cabins, usually friendly service, and the value.

Carnival Spirit '09, Liberty '07, Spirit '05, Valor '05, Glory '04, Pride '03, Destiny '02, Elation '01, Tropicale '91, RCCL Viking Serenade '93, Pacific Princess '78
Old September 14th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Yeoman

You can't really tell someone that they are wrong when they complain about something like food or beds. Everyone has different taste and some people are used to better quality food. As far as the fatty sauces, should have tried the spa carnival healthy choices that they have. We were on the Ecstasy in January and I too thought the food was not so good, but you can't expect gourmet food on a cruise line. Many people on our ship loved it, I thought it was just ok. However, that is not stopping me from my next cruise this weekend on the Carnival Pride. The food is not the reason I love cruising. There are so many other things to enjoy, and as far as the bed, if it is that bad, I will just sleep on my balcony and enjoy the sounds of the ocean all night (lol) I am there to relax and have a great time with my loved ones and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. Food not so good? Oh well, not really there for the food anyway...
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Lenin Jersey

I don't get it. I was on the Legend on 7/26 and I think it was great. It was a bit rocky getting started. There was a delay due to an illness on the previous cruise, so we left about 8 hours late (something not under Carnival's control). I wasn't thrilled about how Carnival handled the compensation for lost time, but other than that, I thought the trip was great. My wife and I had a wonderful time.

Cruise director was a bit corny, but hey.....thats their job!!!!

I had previously sailed on the Carnival Victory. I thought that was nice, too. But I thought the Legend was much, much nicer.
Old September 15th, 2004, 01:32 PM
wendywhite

Default Re: Re: carnival legend

I just returned from the Legend September 12th. I had a wonderful time but I try to make the best of everything. I do agree with the beds. I am 34 years old and have no back problems. I woke up everyday with some kind of pain in my back. I read on another thread that you can ask for a foam pad. I wish I knew that.

The food to me on all ships is way to rich. I had grilled chicken almost everynight. My waiter thought it was so funny. My husband had enough food for both of us!

I have been on the Dawn twice and the Legend plus many others. I love them all and feel very blessed that I can travel this much. I am not sure what I am going to do next year since I like to depart from NYC.
Old September 15th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Shan

I hate to hear people say they wouldn't take a particular cruise line just because they had a bad experience on "One" ship....I'm sure if you took another Carnival you woulld enjoy yourself.....you need to be a little more positive and not "Nit Pick" everything!!
Old September 15th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Yeoman

What Shan says is correct. Just lke staying at a hotel, each one is completely different. For instance, One Westin Hotel may be the best you have ever stayed in and another Westin in another city may be the worst. It all depends on the staff, chefs etc. You cannot judge an entire cruise line by just one ship. They are all quite different.

Carnival Liberty
Old September 17th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Adriane

I have sailed the Dawn and now am looking forward to the 10/6/04 sailing of the Legend. This will be our 3rd Carnival Cruise, sixth overall.
We did not have a great experience on the Dawn, but would give it one more shot somewhere down the line. We went during inauguration time so that might be why it was so unpleasant. It started off with my Amer. Tourister luggage being TORN open by the porters and it went downhill from there.
Hoping for a great cruise this time on the Legend.
STAY AWAY HURRICANES!!!!