Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2004, 11:13 PM
First Mate

Default Just back from Victory NYC cruise

We just returned from the Boston, Portland,Halifax and Sydney Canada cruise on the Carnival Victory.

We were very pleased and enjoyed our cruise. The ship was beautiful, very clean and the service was great! Couldn't do any swimming in the pools because of the cool breezes but took full advantage of the spa in the gym. The entertainers (dancers) did excellant shows and also the lead singer from the Platters gave a singing performance on the last night at sea. The only complaint ( minor one) was that the comedians could of been much better. Other than that, a great cruise!

I kept all the Carnival Capers newsletters and also the tour price list to help answer any questions.

John

Carnival Tropical Aug 2000
Carnival Pride Aug 2002
Carnival Glory Sept 2003
Carnival Miracle March 2004
Carnival Victory Sept 2004

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012
Carnival Liberty - Sept 2013
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas- Sept 2014
Carnival Sensation - November 2014

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2004, 11:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Re: Just back from Victory NYC cruise

Hey John - Glad to hear you had a great time! My friend and I will be on this same cruise in 2 weeks.

I am curious about the night life on board...Sounds like the comedians can be missed, but what else was going on? Did you go to any of the bars or clubs? Our one concern about picking a New England/Canada cruise is that the nightlife will be too laid back for us...What was your experience? I hope the action doesnt die too early in the evening.

How much are they charging for the Duck Tour in Boston? I'm sure its outrageous...

Thanks in advance!

Carey

Old September 20th, 2004, 12:30 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Just back from Victory NYC cruise

Hi Carey,

I just looked for the price list and found out that my wife threw it away on the last night. I do still have all the newsletters. On the tours, they averaged from $35.00 - $55.00 per person. I do have a couple of prices:

Kennnebunkport - $35.00
Portland Highlight & Lighthouse - $35.00
Portland Land & Sea Excursion - $ 55.00
The Best of Portland & Kennebunkport - $55.00

Pub Crawl in Halifax - $45.00

Sorry on the rest of the price list! My wife thought that we didn't need it anymore and threw it away.

As far as the night life on the cruise, the ship was of a very old croud so there wasn't much activity after the shows. We're in our 40's and felt that we were the youngest on the ship. I think the average age was retirement age plus. The bingo was packed full and so was the dance shows. The R-rated comedy show filled about a third of the seats in the bottom level only.
My son is 22 and went to the disco club and said he was one of a total of 5 people in the club.

I hope this helps you at least a little bit.

John

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old September 20th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Babs1121

Hi: Thanks for the information that you have posted. We will be on the Victory on 10/2. Was there anything special that you would recommend to see at the different ports we will be stopping at? Can you walk to any of the things when the ship docks. I haven't booked anything. We just figured we would see what was available when we got off the ship. Anything you could tell me would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:15 AM
First Mate

Oh geez...I think I have made a major mistake here... My friend and I are in our early 20's and when we booked this cruise, the write up on the ship was "the best nightlife at sea", or " think Las Vegas on a cruise ship". Hmph! Sounds like that couldnt be further from the truth.

Thanks for the info, John.

Babs - most of the ports will be easy to do on foot except Boston - you will probably want to take a cab to the city itself. The rest of the ports will have things to do within close proximity to the dock. If you want to know about a particular port, I can share my research with you - I have done more than enough on all ports

Old September 20th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

That sucks, Carey. Maybe your cruise will have some younger people on it who like to party a little more. I'm 29 and have been on 12 cruises in the last 5 years. some cruises have been full of people our age and others not. you can never predict it. just go with a positive attitude and i'm sure you'll have a blast. why don't YOU make the party! haa!! good luck and have fun!!

Old September 20th, 2004, 12:03 PM
First Mate

Thats what I plan on doing Kissell - I'll do my best to bring some fun to this ship!

Old September 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM
KayCee

We are in our late 40's and I was hoping to dance in the disco every night!! We leave this Saturday, 9-25. This is our first cruise. We thought we would find enough to do just walking off in Portland and Halifax.

Carey--would you share what you know about Sydney? Also, is the duck tour worth it? Have been to Boston but it was about 12 years ago.

Thanks for your posting John! Now I really can't wait!
Old September 20th, 2004, 12:33 PM
First Mate

We are going to try to make it to the Fortress of Louisbourg in Sydney - you can either hire a taxi ( you will want to look up the number of cab companies, as they are not always available at the dock) or you can rent a car. Other than that, there doesnt seem to be much to do in Syndey, although most people say they really enjoy this stop.

Definetly do the duck tour - we are so excited about this. We have heard nothing but great things about it. Remember to order your tickets in advance from their website. www.ducktours.com. You can order beginning 5 days in advance.

Old September 20th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Babs1121

Default Re: Re: Re: Just back from Victory NYC cruise

Hi: How close to the Cruise ship is the Duck Tour. Do you know if we can purchase tickets the day we take the tour? I really hate getting the tickets and then if the weather is bad we will be uncomfortable. Thank you
Old September 20th, 2004, 01:46 PM
First Mate

You can get tickets the day of, but when I called and spoke to them, they advised against it as it usually sells out days that ships are in port. The "duck" (the vehicle you travel in) is heated and covered. I would'nt really worry about bad weather making it uncomfortable to the point that it wouldnt be enjoyable.
The Duck Tour departs from the Prudential Center or the Museum of Science. The Prudential Center will be closer to the port - about a 15 min cab ride according to some people I have asked that live in Boston.

Hope this helps.

By the way - you can visit their site for more info. www.ducktours.com

Old September 20th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Babs1121

Hi: Thanks a lot for the information...I will check out their site.
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:02 PM
First Mate

John -
I have one more random question....Can you check out your capers and see if they offer the "how to be a bartender" activity? Someone mentioned they saw it on another Carnival ship and I think that sounds like one of the better sea day activities that I have heard of.
Any other on-board activities on those capers that look like fun?

Thanks!

Old September 20th, 2004, 06:09 PM
rambler

I got back 09/18. One of the comedians said " I swear the average age on this cruise is 83." He wasn't far off.
Old September 20th, 2004, 08:06 PM
First Mate

Sorry didn't get back to you sooner but just got home from work. I'll try to reply to everyones question now.

There were NO bartendar classes on the ship. The only classes they had was like yoga, dance class, body symmetry class, bridge lessons, golf lessons, pilates seminar, body definitions classes, just abs class, body cycling class, aerobics class, fight the fat cell seminar, fitness frenzy boot camp class, can't think of anything else.

SUNDAY:
Here is my reply regarding the whole cruise. In every port you should take a bus tour or some type of guided tour. In Boston the ship was docked sooooooooooo far away from the town that you had to get a bus, trolley or cab because you would have died trying to work to the town from the ship. So we paid $12.00 per person to get a trolley ride round trip into Boston, believe me it was worth the $12.00. Once we got to Boston we walked another 6 to 8 hours in the town, there was a lot to see if you went to Faunal Hall and the market place that was really neat, we walked to both Cheer's bars, they are very far apart but it was fun to see all the sights while walking. Boston has a ton of shops to eat and a beautiful huge park, it was all very clean there an immaculate town. The worst thing was, you were dog tired from all the walking and you had a 1/2 hour to stand in line to get back on the ship. People were sort of mad about that.

MONDAY:
We are in Portland, we took a tour bus to THE BEST OF PORTLAND AND KENNEBUNKPORT for $55.00 each. (5 hour tour) it was great. Really got to see both areas and the tour guide was really informative. The former President and Mrs. Bush were at their cottage and in thier boat so that neat. The cottages and lighthouse were beautiful. But if you didn't take a tour you would miss out on everything because everything was so far apart you could never have walked it. There was a very small shopping area by the dock, not much to see.

SYDNEY & HALIFAX I really can't say much about either. We didn't pay for a tour so there was almost NOTHING to see there by foot. When you got off the ship in Sydney there was a tiny little craft area then you walked about 10 minutes through a little town, that was it, NOTHING. Maybe if we would have taken a tour it would have been better but from the comments on the ship the tours weren't so good either.

In HALIFAX every one took the Peggys Cove tour but seemed very dissappointed with it. This is a very small fishing town and NOTHING again to see. If you drink than take the BAR CRAWL tour, our 22 year old son took this and LOVED IT. He had a blast and said they went to 3 different bars and the tour guide made it really fun. There are a lot of little shops around the board walk within walking distance.

The ship was really a good time. The shows were great! Boston and Portland were really beautiful and definitely worth going to see. I am glad we did the cruise but I wouldn't go back a second time. I pefer the southern cruises, much more lively with a party atmosphere and wild. Younger crowd and warmer!!

Again, I'm glad we did this one just to see the area.

John
Old September 20th, 2004, 08:27 PM
First Mate

I could cry....I have made a horrible mistake. I could have just gone to Las Vegas for a quarter of what we are paying for this and probably had a better time...

...Oh well, I guess I should do my best to not go into it assuming I will have a bad time (thats the worst thing I could do) and maybe I will be surprised.

Old September 20th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Passenger

My husband and I also took this cruise, only the 5 day version a couple weeks ago. It is true that the crowd is older than we experienced on the Caribbean cruises, but we still had a great time. I highly recommend the piano bar for the younger crowd...the pianist, Kevin is totally awesome and we had a blast there evry night until about 130AM. The karaoke was also fun, and our cruise had a pretty good crowd in the disco each night.
The dance shows were great...don't miss them. We also enjoy the trivia games.
we have almost always been disappointed with the comedy acts they book. Our cruise had a magic show that was very entertaining.
Old September 20th, 2004, 09:01 PM
First Mate

Hey Carey,

When I go on vacation I go in with the attitude that it's vacation and I'm going to have a good time no matter what. I love the peacfulness of going out to sea and the great meals and shows. What we get on top of that is a plus. Like I said earlier, our ship was an older crowd but maybe it was because it left on 9/11. Some people don't like to travel on that day.

You might get lucky and end up with a week of younger cruisers. Let me know how your cruise goes. I'm sure you'll have a great time, but Vegas, well that's a tuff call, I might of thought a little longer on that one! I hear nothing but great things about Vegas and would love to go there one day!!!

Keep your chin up and don't be disappointed!

John

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old September 20th, 2004, 09:07 PM
First Mate

Thanks John - I just spoke to my friend and she isnt nearly as worried as I am. I am sure we will enjoy ourselves no matter what. We usually have fun no matter where we go.

You must go to Las Vegas one day - it has something for everyone at every hour of the day or night. It's an experience like none other. We go there 2 times a year and if I dont get to do any partying on this cruise, I may have to take an impromptu weekend to Vegas soon

I'll be sure to write a review when we return from the cruise and would love to hear from anyone else who get back before we head out!

Thanks again,
Carey

Old September 20th, 2004, 09:19 PM
First Mate

Hey Carey,

Please do write a review when you come back, I'll be looking forward to hear about your cruise. Enjoy!

John

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old September 21st, 2004, 04:36 PM
First Mate

One more thing...SORRY!!

I have a few clients at work who live in Halifax and I was talking to one of them about my cruise and they said I should really do the pub crawl while I am there. I said that it wouldnt be feasible b/c we leave Halifax at 6:00pm, but then I came back here and see that your son did the pub crawl. Do you happen to know what time that started? We have other things we need to do in Halifax as well, but if its later in the day, that will be perfect.

Thanks so much, John!

Old September 21st, 2004, 10:27 PM
First Mate

Hi Carey,

The Pub Crawl bus left the pier at 1:30 pm and my son returned at 4:30 - a 3 hour gig. The bus dropped you off at the first Pub and they gave you the first beer free along with a free yellow rain hat to keep. From there you walked to the other 2 bars. Three hours later, the bus came back and brought you back to the ship. You would have to do all your visits prior to the Pub crawl because you had to be back on board by 5:30, the ship left at 6:00 on the nose.

My son had a blast and drank about 12 beers on the trip. I think it was the highlight of his trip.

Hope this helps!
John

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old September 21st, 2004, 10:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Just back from Victory NYC cruise

That helps a lot - I am going to talk this one over with my friend. Sounds like it could be tons o' fun!

Thanks for all the info, John!

Old September 21st, 2004, 10:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Just back from Victory NYC cruise

Your Welcome!!

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006