Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to JULIEB
Default HOLIDAY

I have not seen a lot listed about the Holiday. Taking my 1st cruise out of Mobile 10-21-04 on Holiday & would like to hear some feedback on this ship. I am really looking forward to this cruise we got canceled 9-16-04 due to ivan. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2004, 03:38 PM
md rich

Default Re: HOLIDAY

JULIEB, we were on the 9/11 Holiday cruise that got you cancelled because we had to take an extra day at sea. This was our 29th cruise and the 4th on the Holiday, so you can tell we really like the ship. The Holiday is an older and smaller ship, but is very clean and well staffed. It was refurbished jus ta few months ago and has new furniture,new comforters and new accessories in the cabins. It is certainly not as fancy and glitzy as the Conquest or other new ships,but is very clean and well laid out.The staff is very friendly and courteous. There is always something to do because the cruise director and his staff do a great job. Now about our 9/11 cruise, there were many unhappy passengers( we were not two of them) because hurricane Ivan forced some changesin our itenerary. We missed Cozumel and Calica but were redirected to Progresso and Veracruz, a port we really enjoyed since we had never been ther before. A lot of the confusion was because we were told we would go to Galveston and be bussed back to New Orleans because of possible damage to the port of New Orleans, however when New Orleans escaped damage we were able to sail back to N.O. and arrive the next day. They provided the same on board services as usual and several passengers were upset because their credit card was charged an extra day of tips.which I felt the employees deserved because they worked just as hard that extra day at sea as before. I personally was very appreciative of the captain and crew for making our safety their #1 priority. Sorry this took so long, but you will have agreat time.Any other questions, feel free to e-mail me.
Old September 24th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: HOLIDAY

md rich, thanks for the info. if you have been on Holiday 4 times & other ships you must have really enjoyed it. I can hardly wait to cruise. thanks.

Old September 24th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: HOLIDAY

md rich could you please give me your email add. thanks

Old September 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Just click on the name and the email address comes up ready for you to write.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 24th, 2004, 04:21 PM
sls

It was refurbished December 2003. We were onboard in January 2004. Nice white duvet covers on the bed. As stated service is good. Easy to get around because it is small.

you'll have a great time.

sls
Old September 24th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Passenger

CA Cruiser thanks.

Old September 24th, 2004, 08:47 PM
eyelean

I was just on the "cruise-to-nowhere" on the Holiday last weekend. It was my 2nd time on it and loved both cruises. I did sail on the Conquest in-between my Holiday cruises, and it did make this ship seem smaller than I thought (but that's OK). I loved the food (especially this ice cream machine (all you want!!!). If you'd like a quiet spot just to lounge and read, go to the topless deck just in front. Push your lounge chair very close to the window so you won't have as much wind. I didn't know how windy it gets on a cruise ship. It's a quiet place where people just want to read or listen to their CD's.
If you want to lounge in some shade (I had to for a while cause of sunburn) go to the deck that is just under the life boats. On your last night going up the river, go to the top front to see the mouth of the river. It was an interesting site. Every night you will receive a "Carnival Capers" newletter. It will tell you everything that will be scheduled for the next day. I practically memorized mine right away and circled what I didn't want to miss. On our last morning we order room service. It saves time. All the other days we ate in the dining room for breakfast (nicer than the buffet). Sorry to go on and on. Just keep reading sites like this and keep a notebook next to your computer to jot down stuff. Have a great time!!!!!!!
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Passenger

eyelean, thanks for the great info. thanks everyone. this has helped
Old September 28th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Ward

Default Re: Re: Re: HOLIDAY

We went on the Holiday for our first cruise this past May (five night). We didn't know if we would enjoy cruising, and we had read some negative reviews on the Holiday. You might say our expectations were pretty low, but for the price we decided to try it. Everything far exceeded our expectations! I guess we could nit-pick and find something to complain about, but in general we're "happy" travelers and expect to enjoy ourselves. We enjoyed everything; lots of wonderful people from the area around New Orleans (drive & cruise folks), very good food, good cabin (inside guarenteed), great service, and lots of fun times. Our cabin was near the stern and had some vibrations, and felt some movement, but hey, nothing more than what you feel on most airlines. We will still go on our "destination" vacations, but will now include a cruise each year too! We're going to try a larger ship this spring, probably the Conquest or Glory, but am sure that we will sail with the Holiday again some day!