Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2004, 08:03 PM
kpoynter

Default elation vs grand princess for kids

Interested in hearing any comments about kids on the Elation vs. the grand princess. We are considering taking our 3 kids ages 5,7,and 10 in the spring. Do they allow 5 in a room? Familiar with Royal Carribeans offerings for kids, and i'm reading up on carnival elation vs grand princess. Kids are interested in the arcades and kids club areas. Can't get a feel for the differences in the 2 off the virtual tours on the web. Elation has a slide at the pool, princess appears not to have one. Do either have a kids pool area? Any comments on either ship or comparisons would be helpful!
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maggie
Default Re: elation vs grand princess for kids

I can only tell you about the Grand Princess. We sailed her last year. My kids were 11, 11 and 5. The kiddie pool is small and without a lot of place for the parents to sit. It is also far away from the other pools and hidden on one of the top decks. Not much shade there either. The kid program for our youngest was absolutely wonderful! They were so busy! For the 11 yr olds, it wasn't quite what they wanted so they mostly swam and went to the arcade or played ping pong. I can say that all 3 kids were treated like Princesses in the dining room. Our waiter even had them make our youngest a grilled cheese because he noticed that she wasn't eating. I also liked the anytime dining. Made it easy to eat when the kids were hungry. As for 5 in a room, I'm not sure where you'd put the 5th person in a regular room. You could get a suite.

One hint that worked well for us, we had the kid's cards made for room entry only. That way they couldn't get carried away in the arcade lol

Good luck

Maggie
Old September 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to TxStarCruiser

well,i can only tell you about the Elation..She is a BEAUTIFUL ship with great activities for kids and its just wonderful!!!I have a 4yr. old daughter and a 14 yr old daughter and they loved it!!The ship again as i said is the best,we went on this ship for our 4th cruise and it was our favorite!Also our kids LOVED the slide!!

anymore questions just ask or you can email me at orange_fish00@yahoo.com

see my photos :http://community.webshots.com/user/wards03

rccl:rhapsody:ccl:jubilee:ccl:celebration;ccl:elat ion 7-18to25,2004:ccl:ecstasy 11-11-04 cant wait
Old September 27th, 2004, 06:52 PM
41's

We went on Elation this summer with our 8 & 9 yrs.olds. They did not like camp carnival at all. Your 10yr. old will NOT be able to join the others because they keep the ages seperated. The activities were not very interesting and the counselors were not very welcoming. The arcade only has 8 video games. Each game cost 1.00 per play. The pool with the slide is very, very small. The kids pool is on the other side of the ship and for 3 days it did not have any water in it. Both pools are salt water. The pools were so small in fact that people were complaining all around us about not having access to them. I have noticed on this board that there are quite a few "die hards" that HATE to hear anything negative about the ship they have been on. I simply think those cruisers expect less so they are happier with what they get. I on the other hand, expected my kids to "want" to be at camp all day (as I heard on the board before we left) only to find it the opposite. We had a good time, but next time we will take a different line.
Old September 28th, 2004, 01:58 PM
elationismyship

Can't speak for the other cruise line but as far as the Elation went, my daughter (8) did not like the camp program. We were with another couple that had a 5 & 8 year old and they didn't like the program either. We loved the Elation just didn't like the camp program. I wrote a long review of the entire trip in the review section. I'd read up on the reviews made by individuals who were actually on the ship and go with your gut. I wouldn't say no to the Elation, we just were not impressed with the Camp program. We went during spring break and the ship was completely full and the camp program was very crowded, if you go at off season maybe better.