Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:17 PM
wondering

Default Is Cayman accepting ships???

When?
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Is Cayman accepting ships???

According to Carnival on Saturday 9/25, the Sunday 9/26 Conquest sailing would be stopping at Grand Cayman. However there's a post here from someone saying he's on the Conquest now and it will NOT be stopping. I also wonder what the real story is.

Old September 28th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Yeoman

From what i can tell searching the internet, Its going to be a few months before the Caymans are ready for cruise ships.One of the resorts on 7-mile beach, is projecting November, before there ready for business.
One thing is for sure, with cruise ships being there main source of income, they will do everything they can to get it up and going asap.

Happy cruising;
david
Old September 28th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Is Cayman accepting ships???

NOT this week

Joemo

Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old September 28th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Is Cayman accepting ships???

Just got an e-mail from Captain Marvin's saying they're anticipating receiving ships at the end of October or beginning of November.

I hate Carnival for lying.

Old September 28th, 2004, 11:36 AM
kckehmom3

Just received an email from Capt. Marvin and they are not allowing cruise ships in yet. The email stated this:
"Thanks for writing! I do not believe ships will be allowed in to port here until the end of October or middle of November. I hope you can come back again some time!
Ruth for Capt. Marvin's"
Old September 28th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Bubbles

There is a post from Island Marketing of Grand Cayman, they run Grand Cayman Cruise Excursions and they are taking reservations for November 1st on. Thye are the same group that has the Buccaneer and Captain Bryans trips! Hope they are right!
Old September 28th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Yeoman

I hope they'll be up and running by Dec. 5th...that's when we leave!
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:35 PM
kckehmom3

Just became aware of this policy...no wonder they aren't letting people know of the changes!!

Port Cancellation Policy

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly upon making the itinerary change notify passengers of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer passengers an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a passenger does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the passenger at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to passengers when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:19 PM
mmotc

My DD works with someone who's family lives in Grand Cayman. Fortunately they have been able to communicate by cell phone. They have sent their children to come live in the US with relatives until things are settled there. She told DD that it may be the first part of January before ships are back at Grand Cayman.
Old September 29th, 2004, 09:53 PM
deborah grimes

I'M with Bigsky I hope they are up and running by Dec. 5th. I read somewhere maybe by the first of Nov. If not I hope the will take us to Jamaica or Progreso(never been there).
What ship are you going on Bigsky? I am going on the Carnival Miracle. Have a good time.
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Passenger

do someone know which port will now be instead of grand cayman, and is ochoriosm still availabel as port?
Old September 30th, 2004, 04:32 PM
patticake

I talked to someone working for captain marvins exccursions to the sandbar on wed. sept. 29 and she said there will be no cruise ships for 4 to 6 weeks, meaning november 1 at the earliest. sorrry for those looking forward to going there. patticake
Old September 30th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've also heard that it would be November at the earliest.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

To Whom It May Concern,

Please be advised that due to Hurricane Ivan, Grand Cayman is presently closed for Cruise ship operation. Initial estimates are that the port will not be prepared to accept cruise ship operations until at least November. CCL cruise ops will be monitoring the situation and advise once a decision has been made. In the meantime, the following itineraries will be in effect

ITINERARY CHANGES

OCTOBER DEPARTURES

Sensation 5 day - 10/2, 10/11, 10/16

Inspiration 5 day - 10/30

DAY DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sat. Mon. Tampa 4:00 PM

Sun. Tue. At Sea

Mon. Wed. Costa Maya 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Tue. Thur. Cozumel 8:00 AM 10:00 PM

Wed. Fri. At Sea

Thur. Sat. Tampa 8:00 AM

Imagination 5 day - 10/2, 10/11, 10/16, 10/25, 10/30

DAY DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sat. Mon. Miami 4:00 PM

Sun. Tue. Nassau 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

Mon. Wed. At Sea

Tue. Thur. Ocho Rios 7:30 AM 3:30 PM

Wed. Fri. At Sea

Thur. Sat. Miami 8:00 AM

Inspiration 7 day - 10/10

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sun. Tampa 4:00 PM

Mon. At Sea

Tue. Progreso 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

Wed. Calica /Playa del Carmen 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thur. Belize 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

Fri. Costa Maya 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Sat. At Sea

Sun. Tampa 8:00 AM

Inspiration 7 day - 10/17

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Mon. At Sea

Tue. Progreso 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

Wed. Cozumel 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thur. Belize 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

Fri. Costa Maya 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Sat. At Sea

Sun. Tampa 8:00 AM

Inspiration 6 day - 10/24

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Mon. At Sea

Tue. Cozumel 7:00 AM 10:00 PM

Wed. Costa Maya 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Thur. Calica 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Fri. At Sea

Sat. Tampa 8:00 AM

Carnival Conquest 7 day - 10/3, 10/10, 10/17, 10/24, 10/31

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sun. New Orleans 6:00 PM

Mon. At Sea

Tue. At Sea

Wed. Montego Bay 9:00 AM 7:00 PM

Thur. At Sea

Fri. Cozumel 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

Sat. At Sea

Sun. New Orleans 8:00 AM

Carnival Triumph 7 day - 10/2, 10/16, 10/30

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Sat. Miami 4:00 PM

Sun. At Sea

Mon. Cozumel 7:00 AM 10:00 PM

Tue. Costa Maya 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Wed. At Sea

Thur. Ocho Rios 7:30 AM 3:30 PM

Fri. At Sea

Sat. Miami 8:00 AM
Old October 1st, 2004, 09:27 AM
Captain

According to the Hurricane web-site that has reporters sending out messages constantly.....they are making alot of progress on the devastated island. They are hoping to start welcoming tourist again the first week in November,,,,, but that is an estimate, so I imagine things will be normal as normal can be by 5-6 weeks.
Old October 1st, 2004, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Phoebe,

Thanks for posting that info. May I ask where it came from? I was looking on Carnival's site and saw a similar itinerary change but it didn't include Conquest.

Thanks again!

Old October 1st, 2004, 02:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Bo

Visit this site---http://blueoceanart.com/ivan/

As you look at the pictures you'll quickly realize how bad things are in the Caymans.
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:37 PM
Passenger

According to NativewayWatersports the ships will not be in Grand Caymen until Nov.
Glad I'm not going until April.
Norma
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Yeoman

Hey Deborah, Sorry I didn't answer sooner. Been busy and don't always ck my replies. I wonder if there's an easy way to do that.
Anways, we'll be on the Mariner leaving Dec. 5th. Can't wait! Been on many Carnival cruises and just went on Disney. Our first time with RCCL.

I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Miracle. I'd like to go on their newest ones. The most recent one of Carnival is the Pride that we went on.
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:58 PM
debra

Caymans were hit very hard... they estimated initially that cruise ships might not be able to dock until November. I also understand that one of their biggest attractions - Stingray City - was also suffering due to Hurricane Ivan. The rays supposedly were driven out of the area and the locals are trying to lure them back to the sand bar. I hope they are successful because that is truly a great experience in spite of all the boats gathered in the same vicinity at the same time.
Old October 26th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Hi everyone,
As of 1:07PM today a message went out to everyone at CCL informaing them that as of Nov 1st, 2004 CCL will resume operations to Grand Cayman. This is the memo minus the addresses;

Subject: Carnival Cruise Lines vessels resuming calls to Grand Cayman, effective Monday, November 1, 2004

Dear All,

Please be advised that following a Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association meeting with the Honorable W. McKeeva Bush at Grand Cayman yesterday, October 25th, Carnival Cruise Lines has committed our ships to resuming their scheduled calls to Grand Cayman effective Monday, November 1, 2004.

Sincerely,

Gordon Buck
Director, Port Operations

This is great news for not only CCL and cruise passengers but for Grand Cayam as well. Remember, you heard it officially here first! <G>
Jim

Old October 27th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

I thought GC was only going to be accepting 2 ships per day for a while?