Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Default Is the first time the best?

On a cruise!!

My first cruise was near perfect. My 2nd was fabulous, but I saw some things that have me wondering:

Did those same issues exist on the first cruise and I was just too starstruck to see them?

It was mostly about the food. I thought ALL the food on our 4 day Fantasy cruise was fabulous. On my recent 7 day cruise, by the 5th day, the buffet food on the Lido had lost it's charm entirely. I found myself longing for lunch in the ports - something I wouldn't even consider on the 1st cruise.

Perhaps it was the length of the cruise, I don't know. 4 days of buffet food might have been okay, 7 days...well.....

Luckily I still didn't have to COOK any of the food and was always served, so I was still happy.

I think I'm just a little wistful for that "perfect" feeling I came home with the first time....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Is the first time the best?

I know what your saying Dorothy. My first cruise was great ! My second cruise was beyond belief ! I really had to drag myself off of the ship. Its was so wonderful ! And the third cruise was great, but just not as great as the second.
But I can't wait till the next cruise. Our goal is to be able to go on 2 cruises a year in the next few years.

happy cruising;
david

1999- Enchanted Isle
2001- Inspiration
2003-Conquest
2005-Conquest ( too be booked soon)
Old September 28th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Two cruises a year - great goal. I think I have that same goal, but realistically, it will probably be one 7 day and one short one.

We *know* we want the Miracle for a 7 day, but I'm thinking I'd like to return to our old friend the Fantasy for a 4 day.

Glad to hear the "first cruise starry eyed syndrome" really exists!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 28th, 2004, 04:31 PM
LJW

My first cruise was great but my second cruise was way better. I hear you about the food though. After about the 5th day I am ready for some junk fast food. I found it wierd to be complaining about eating great food all the time but it sure didn't stop me from over eating it.
Old September 28th, 2004, 09:33 PM
browezilla

Unfortunately I think the problem is "rising expectations". On your first cruise, we're amazed how how much they do. On subsequent trips, it is no longer amazing, but expected, e.g. the norm. I think this is true of most new things
Old September 28th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Cruisingrandma

Every cruise we take is the best one ever. Cruising is our most favorite way to vacation. Planning our next one soon. Happy cruising.......
Old September 28th, 2004, 11:12 PM
deborah grimes

My first cruise, by the third day I was saying no more food. My second cruise we said the same thing, and on both cruises we only took pictures of the big grand buffet . We did not eat a grape off it. Both cruises was 7 days. The first cruise I thought it was becouse we had late night dinner seating, so the second cruise we took early seating. That was not the problem, we decided that we just ate to much at dinner to eat off the late grand buffet. Some how they always served lobster and steak that night for dinner.
So try to go light for dinner the night you have the big grand buffet. That might help I think!!!! TO MUCH FOOD TO MANY CHOICES !!!!!
CELEBRATION ---10/90
CARNIVAL TRIUMPH --12/01
CARNIVAL MIRACLE --12/05/04
Old September 29th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

The cruises just keep getting better and better!!!!

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 29th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Admiral

I totaly understand your thinking. On your first cruise you are like a little kid in a candy shop on your birthday! Everything is new and exciting and perfect. Each cruise after that is just as exciting and new, but you have raised your expecations. Try something new and different on each cruise! - eat lunch in the dining room as opposed to the buffet everyday!