Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2004, 01:14 AM
sdearman

Default Re: Screwed by Carnival

sd screenwriter,
You asked Just Relax if he go the memo,

-----Did you receive a copy of the memo shown above? If so, which option did you choose, and what was the exact procedure by Carnival to handle that particular option? (Or lack of procedure). ------

I too was on this sailing and I did receive this memo from CCL crew. We not only received this one but several more, the choices and decisions changed by the hour. Ultimatley only option 1 and 3 were offered. When we arrived in Galveston there were no buses to take us back to New Orleans. We either had to get off and try to find transportation home (and not be allowed back on board if you didn't find transportation) or we could stay aboard and hope for the best as the Captain did not know when the Holiday would be allowed back in the Mississippi River to return to New Orleans. We had left our vehicle at port in N.Orleans so option 1 did not work for us because we had left our vehicle. We finally did make it back to port and off of the ship!! We were not offered any help by Carnival, no compensation for anything only extra gratuity charges for extra day, which I paid and feel the staff did a TERRIFIC JOB. I did write CCL a complaint letter and I too received a confirmation number saying they had received it. I waited for 5 days but no one responded, on the 6th day I called and customers service told me to expect to wait 6 to 8 weeks for CCL to respond to my letter.

to the people who are sick of us complaining,,,,,,why don't you just stop reading our complaints. If you weren't on this sailing.....you really don't have clue!!!
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:48 AM
First Mate

Jim, the thread is titled "Screwed by Carnival" although the OP's complaint was about the Holiday. I've read several instances on this and other thread were Carnival did not deliver what they promised. So, on 9/30/04 I posted by girlfriends experience of the same to this thread. We totally understand the potential consequences of cruising during hurricane season or any other time for that matter. And, I posted a thread entitled "Good Call" when Carnival changed her itinerary. However, weather does not excuse a company from delivering on it's promises and guests who pursue the matter are in NO WAY insensitive to the victims of the hurricane. I found that correlation utterly absurd!

Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

sdearman
The option upon arriving in Galveston was that buses would be provided to the Houston airport not New Orleans. It clearly stated in option one that you would have to find your own way back to New Orleans and that you may not get into the port if it was still closed. It also asked to please understand that those plans were subject to change.

You left you car in NOLA so what additional help did you want?
Exactly what type of compensation are you expecting and why?

You weren't allowed back on if you got off because of the Jones Act I'm sure.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Screwed by Carnival

I have been reading all these posts and just had to put my two cents in....we just got off the Glory on September 27th which was supposed to dock in Port Canaveral on the 25th..........From the minute we got on the ship on the 18th we were informed of everything the Captain was doing to insure our safety......We were never in the dark about anything. We had to dock in Port Everglades as Canaveral was still closed on the 27th. Everything was done in a safe and orderly manner and the crew couldn't be more accommodating. We were not dumped at the pier but provided transportation to either Port Canaveral for people who had their cars parked there or Orland aiport. That morning ot the 27th 9 ships came into the Port at the same time and 22,000 people was transported to their various destination. Except for a little traffic jam coming out of the port, we have nothing but praise for Carnival and their crew. Our intinerary was changed from Eastern Caribbean to Western (where we just were in February) but we didn't mind because they had nothing but the safety of the passengers in mind. For those of you who say you will never sail Carnival again that is fine but, I can tell you some real horror stories of other cruise lines as well....glad to have gotten that off my chest..............
Old October 3rd, 2004, 06:14 PM
sls

I'd rather be screwed by Carnival. I spent one day driving north from the Florida Panhandle. 2 days in a hotel room in TN. 1 day driving back. 1 and a half weeks without power. Paid for 7 trees to be removed that were either snapped in two or leaning. Paid for my stepson (luckily he's a roofer) to come reshingle the roof. Still waiting for the insurance company to even give us a claim number. We were lucky and our damage was considered minor. With all the money we paid out from our vacation fund we could have taken a seven day cruise. So yes, I'd rather be screwed by Carnival than IVAN.

sls
Old October 3rd, 2004, 11:10 PM
Admiral

The complainers will complain regardless. I can't, as hard as I may try, understand exactly what it is that some folks think the cruise lines should have done for them. Maybe having the captain to stand by at the entrance to the theatre and instead of shaking everyones hand as they walked by, kiss them on a certain part of their anatomy--- maybe that would have worked--- but then again no, I'm sure that some would find complaints of one form or another, even with that.

It just boils down to the old greedy, me first thing that is engrained into a lot of people.
Let me see--- I chose to drive my car to the dock and park and take a cruise. Along comes a hurricane and huffs and puffs and blows everything down. The ship can't get into the port--- I can't get to my car. So , I blame the cruise line. That is very obviously something that I should be compensated for, along with having to miss a port.

Or, maybe I chose to schedule my own air and although the cruise line is offering me a free ride to the airport, I'm mad as heck that they won't get me on a flight. After all, I'm more important than the other thousands that are also trying to get a flight. Really though, I just don't care about anyone else--- just lil' ol' me.

Complainers, what it boils down to is simply this; The whole state of Florida was ( and still is in some areas ) a freaking big mess. In case you didn't know, the particular little ship you were on was not the only thing affected by the big mess. Airports were closed, flights canceled, porting and docking facilities were closed, workers at these facilities were affected by the big mess and couldn't get to work to make your return home nice and easy, etc, etc. So, besides you-- numero uno-- millions of other people were having problems. But the complainers can't see anything but their problem.
But alas, all the big mess shouldn't have been a problem if only the cruise lines and airlines had handled it differently.

To all who say they won't cruise Carnival again, please write to Bob Dixon and tell him so. Hopefully he will put your names on a "Banned from Carnival " list. Then when you get you certificates offering a discount on your next cruise and try to book it, you will get a rejection letter from Bob.---- Now wait before getting mad--- you weren't going to cruise Carnival again anyway, remember ??

Ok-- shoot up the flack--- been shot at many times before.
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:02 AM
sdearman

Phoebe,

Did you read option #2?

It clearly states " Stay aboard the Holiday Thursday night and take our bus transportation back to New Orleans on Friday morning:
We will provide complimentary bus transportation on Friday morning to the Port of New Orleans if that is possible. In the event that the buses cannot return to the Port of New Orleans, they will proceed to a convenient staging area as close as possible to the Port. We will confirm the final destination in New Orleans by tomorrow night. Buses will depart from 7:00 AM to 9:30 AM on Friday. If you elect this option, we request that you advise the Shore Excursion office on Main Deck by 1:00 PM on Thursday."

It says BUS TRANSPORTATION!!

As far as compensation, I don't expect any!! Never did! I only voiced my opinion about a company that I felt should have made different decisions.

I understand there was a hurricane and many people and their homes were affected. My home was hit by a tree and I still have a huge hole in my roof, I had numerous trees down in my yard, couldn't even drive in my driveway when I got home, but after climbing over trees and debris I did get in the house to find no power, no water and no phone. After 5 days without power and losing all of my food in frig and deep freeze, it finally came back on. I do understand the devestation of this storm, I have seen it first hand. I also understand that things could have been alot worse at my home. I live 200 miles away from the coast of Alabama where hurricane IVAN came ashore but we have vacation property in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach Alabama. We (my family and myself 8 total onboard) were all worried and concerned about our loved ones at home and our property. All we wanted was to come home. As I have stated before, Carnival could have brought us back after our first port. The storm had not even reached Cozumel yet. We could have made it back to New Orleans a long time before the storm read shore. I still feel like this was a bad call by upper management at Carnival and nothing will change my mind.

Finally, were you on this ship for this particular sailing?
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:05 AM
First Mate

Well now, why would the managers delete my response to Ron? Do they condone the foolish analogies contrived on this thread? Are they surprised that people defend themselves when insulted by others? Or, does criticism of Carnival just get jumped on like a herd of turtles.

Old October 4th, 2004, 10:15 AM
sdearman

GJG,

Guess they didn't like your response to Ron. I think he must work for them anyway, sounds like he knows the owner on a first name basis. Maybe he complained at one time and that's how he knows him.

My response to people who don't like our complaints,,,,,,,don't read them. This thread is entitled "screwed by carnival" If you don't like to read peoples complaints then just don't read them!!!
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Admiral

No , I don't know Bob Dixon personally, never met him, never saw him in person and probably never will. No, I don't work for any cruise line, never did, likely never will as I'm retired. I just happen to know he is the President of Carnival through advertisements, commercials, etc.
Sure you have a right to complain. It's pretty obvious some folks enjoy it. I say again, please contact Bob, tell him how you feel and by all means, don't sail on that crummy line again. Also, be adult enough to realize, hey--- weather happens--- get over it. Try to help some of the poor folks who have real problems due to the storms.

Thank you for your attention.
Love to all.
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Everyone's free to discuss their opinions on the topic. Exchange of information is the purpose of the message boards.

However... personal attacks, and calling people names, is NOT allowed.. and those posts will be deleted!!

Discuss the issues, express your opinions ABOUT the issues raised!
Old October 4th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Uh, Ron......it's Bob DICKINSON not Bob Dixon..................

Old October 4th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Admiral

See--- I told you I don't know him !!
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:06 PM
First Mate

No one called Ron a name, Kuki. And, the fact that Carnival does not control the weather and we are more fortunate than the hurricane victims is not some profound revelation, it's an asinine analogy. Simply stated, my girlfriend asked for nothing but was promised a $100 pp credit if she sailed. She didn't receive that and brought it to the purser's attention. He didn't fix it as he promised he would. Carnival didn't respond to two separate email requests. The TA had to file a complaint with Carnival and ultimately I'll have my credit card company deduct it from Carnival's invoice. Now, that's a whole lot of trouble for a whole lot of people because Carnival now intends to dishonor a written offer on it's website and expressed by telephone call with their rep and the Ta's rep. It's absurd to defend corporate liars, and far worse to attack individuals who challenge that type of business ethic.

Old October 4th, 2004, 04:19 PM
sdearman

GJG,

WELL SAID!!!!!! ITS TERRIBLE THAT YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH SO MUCH HASSLE JUST TO GET WHAT YOU WERE PROMISED.

SORRY THEY LIED TO YOU, BUT IT SEEMS THEY DO IT ALOT!
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:27 PM
tazee

i just returned from the conquest and we were compensated for not going to grand cayman. it was still a great cruise. they gave us longer at jamaica and cozumel, also.i was grateful to go on vacation and to go on such a wonderful ship. if i hadnt even left the ship i couldnt have been happier. it was so fun and relaxing. food was great, entertainment wonderful, and service was good, also. just go and make the best of it. u are in for a great, great time!!!
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Admiral

I'm imagining that the folks who now "will never, ever sail Carnival again" will be leaving the Carnival board?

Just wondering....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Naw, Dorothy--- they won't quit Carnval. As soon as Carnival has the opportunity to get everything sorted out and sends out the discount coupons, etc. they will be the ones in the front of the embarkation line grousing about how long it's taking to get aboard !

Love to all.
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:13 AM
First Mate

I'm imagining that the folks who now "will never, ever sail Carnival again" will be leaving the Carnival board?

Well Dorothy, you're not only imagining what these people will do, you're imagining what they have said. No where on this thread does the text "will never, ever sail Carnival again" appear. And this is a perfect example of the spin members have placed on what's been said instaed of listening to the facts.

Post Edited (10-04-04 23:16)
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:22 AM
TomS

This is a summary of what I understand Carnival's policy to be on missed/changed ports.

The cruise line has the right to alter the itenerary at any time for any reason, and can be at the sole discression of the master of the ship. This is usually only done in the case of weather, safety, health issue, mechanical problem, or a labor problem at the port.

While Carnival will try to notify their guests in a timely manner, often this is not possible, expecially in the case of weather.

If they are able to notify you of an itenerary change, you have a 24 hour window to cancel your cruise. However, you are still responsable for any other expenses purchased on your own, such as airfare or hotel charges.

In the event of an itenerary change, a port may be substituted with no compensation to the passneger.

If no suitable pprt is available, passnegers are entitled to a $20 shipboard credit.

It sounds like the cruise was actually lengthened due to Ivan, and therefore you recieved an extra day on board with food at no additional cost. It sounds like you were under no obligation to leave the ship in Galveston.

By the way, I talked to a friend of mine who rode out Ivan in Pensacola. She thought about evacuating to Tampa, but decided against it. Had she done this, she would have had to go through southern Alabama, and through Mobile to reach Pensacola. Had Ivan turned six hours later than it did, or not as sharply, New Orleans would almost certainly have seen catistrophic damage from Ivan.

TomS
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

GJG go back and read the posts there's a few that said they would never sail Carnival again in fact the very first poster said it. Dorothy wasn't imagining anything when she wrote her last comment.
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:50 AM
First Mate

Phoebe, I'll say again "No where on this thread does the text "will never, ever sail Carnival again" appear". If the " symbol was used to denote "something like that" they'd be called "something like that marks" instead of "quotation marks". If you're gonna take the time to be critical of what others did not say, please take responsibility for what you (and Carnival) have said.

Old October 5th, 2004, 11:23 AM
sdearman

PHOEBE>

NEVER SAIL CARNIVAL AND AVOID CARNIVAL ARE TWO DIFFERENT STATEMENTS!!

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!!
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Terri Ann

Um, do we need to shout to make a point? You are splitting hairs here. It has been made apparent that there are some who want to avoid Carnival in the future. That is their perogative. Whether the acutal words were never, ever is moot. If someone told me that they wanted to avoid me for some reason, I would expect they would do all they could to stay away from me. (For whatever reason, know or unkown to me.) This just my take on what was inferred by what was written. Terri Ann
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sd.. you yourself wrote :

" I don't know if I will ever tak a cruise again, but be assured, if I do, It WILL NOT BE WITH CARNIVAL!!!"
So.. no need to YELL at anyone about getting their facts straight.

One thing to note... for those of you who have e-mailed Carnival with complaints. I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't heard back yet. Even under normal circumstances it could take up to 6 weeks to get a response. With the mess they had during the hurricanes, 8 weeks might be more realistic.

The other thing is you should have your TAs going to Carnival with your complaints. That's part of what you paid them for, when booking with them! And they have more clout with the cruise line than an individual complaining.

Last spring I sent my nephew on a Conquest cruise out of NOLA as a graduation present. There was an accident along the river, and the ship couldn't return to New Orleans.... and they ended up bussing people to the ship down river. A day of mayhem, and waiting around before they could get to the ship, with frayed nerves, etc.

Carnival told everyone they'd be getting a 50% discount off their next Carnival cruise. It took some time.... but a couple of months later my nephew did get his 50% discount certificate, and is using it for a cruise next March.

So.. while their promises may take some time to be delivered, don't lose hope. Patience will most likely be rewarded.

Old October 5th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Okay , here are the direct quotes:

Original post (Just Relax):
"Hereafter we shall avoid Carnival and cruise only with cruise lines that truly care for their guests."

S. Dearman 9/30 post:
"I don't know if I will ever tak a cruise again, but be assured, if I do, It WILL NOT BE WITH CARNIVAL!!!"

S. Dearman ANOTHER 9/30 post:
"Sorry if this offends you and I am glad you are a Carnival Fan, but as for me and my family we will take our money elsewhere!!!"

SnicksGuy on 10/2:
"I'm glad I made the decision to stop cruising Carnival long ago."

Lisa agreed.

Sorry GJG and Dearman, but it's clear folks DID say they wouldn't be cruising Carnival. If they change their minds (which I suspect will happen to those that receive discounts toward future cruises, as Ron said) then I'm sure Carnival will welcome them with open arms!

I was simply taking them at their words and thinking they *wouldn't* be sailing Carnival again since that's what they said.

Maybe that's not what they meant, but it's what they said....

dorothy

Post Edited (10-05-04 21:29)

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to CamelliaCity

I feel bad for everyone that has had a bad experience because of the hurricanes(and there are many).
It's true, you save, you dream, and then it doesn't go as planned. Mother Nature steps in and changes it all.

We have booked a Carnival cruise for December 18 out of Galveston to Panama. I've called and they've assured me the ship is stopping at GC, Cozumel, and others as planned...but..who knows. December is not that far away to get cleaned up from ALL the damage those places had.

Maybe Carnival is working on sending out compensation for the 9/11 cruise. Sounds like you all had a rough time.
Old October 5th, 2004, 02:53 PM
sdearman

okay,,,,,,,excuse me my cap lock was on and i didn't realize you people were so up tight as to freak out over upper case or lower case. you need to get a life. i never dreamed so many people would get their "drawers in a wad" over other people having their own opinion over ther own vacation. to all of you who don't like others complaining, get off of this thread.
Old October 5th, 2004, 04:53 PM
First Mate

I just returned from the Conquest. I sailed September 27th. While we were in line Carnival gave us a letter saying we would not be going to the Grand Caymans. Each person would receive a $25.00 credit and we did. I was happy with this and told some who were not. All they had to do was give us $20.00 that is what is in they rules in the back of there brochure. Yes we had an extra sea day. But they lived up to there end.I was told it will be January before the port is open in the Caymans.
Just try to have a good frame of mine and you will have a great time.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Let's calm down a bit and there is no need to get personal. Please read the TOS before posting. Intelligent debate and statements are always welcome but snide and nasty remarks are not.
Jim (Who has to make the decision about what is allowed to be said and what isn't)